Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2013, 02:12 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1704 Times on 889 Posts
Likes Given: 341

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGunner
Plastic is for 22's and glocks not AR's!
That's what they said about the first polymer firearms. While I agree with you, I bet the day comes when this is the accepted and standard offering. Wood and blued steel? Old school to the youngins' in today's world

Old 11-27-2013, 03:15 AM   #12

Liked 571 Times on 303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsmiff68
Thank you. That's enough for me to stay away from it.
The question is, how much can you sell your Ruger for. There a a lot of good deals out there. I know PSA is having ridiculous deals right now. Sell it and build one for a couple of hundred more.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:23 AM   #13

Liked 1908 Times on 1141 Posts
Likes Given: 405

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
That's what they said about the first polymer firearms. While I agree with you, I bet the day comes when this is the accepted and standard offering. Wood and blued steel? Old school to the youngins' in today's world
And if it was use of plastic in a new design that was engineered to use plastics from the beginning it could be fine. Using plastics in a design that was engineered to use aluminum is not exactly the same.

I've accepted polymer framed pistols, their use in rifles as well. But guns like Glock, H&K, Styer AUG, SCAR, etc. we're designed to use polymer from the beginning and I would expect them to hold up well.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:54 PM   #14

Liked 207 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 15

It would be different if the rifle offered to trade was a colt, stage m&p lewis but ATI !!! Sell the ruger out right and you can buy a M&P sport for near 600 dollars and a few better quality ARs for at or under 700. Build a basic rifle from PSA for 600 bucks.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #15

Liked 207 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 15

If the trade was for a ,a, better AR then yea but a ATI !! If you want a AR and not your ruger sell it out right. Look around at bud's prices for an idea what you can buy for or see what you can build for from the likes of psa.

Here ya go , By this - http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/rifle-kits/ptac-16-1-9-5-56-blackhawk-rifle-kit-with-22-conversion-kit.html
add this and have a functional 5,56 AND a .22lr kit for it .- http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/lower-receivers/anderson-lower-receiver.html

+25 bucks at a local FFL and you have a better rifle that the ATI and for less than 600 bucks with tax.

My down the street general store has a M&P15 sport for 609 and couple other better name AR's under 700

Old 11-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #16
Camo, you are lucky to see it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1702 Times on 942 Posts
Likes Given: 5177

My advice, as always is:

Keep your 1911 and buy a good AR if you want one.

This is the best way to avoid "buyers remorse and regrets"

chloeshooter Likes This 
Old 11-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #17
Cancer Killa
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 347 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 591

I had an Omni polymer lower break on me after 9 rounds. I will never recommend one for anybody.

NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.

Old 11-28-2013, 01:49 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 217 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle_Armoring View Post
I had an Omni polymer lower break on me after 9 rounds. I will never recommend one for anybody.
I have a completed ATI Omni lower somewhere at home right now. I should take it apart one of these days, and have intended to do so for some time. Why? Because the tupperware split when hammering in the bolt release pin, and as a result it is no longer a viable lower (way too much lateral movement in the bolt release to consider acceptable). I only hope I can salvage nearly 100% of the LBK.

After I take it apart, I'll probably trash the plastic lower that must've set me back $70 plus a $10 BGC.

That's what I think of polymer lowers. It's not that they can't work...but at the moment, they just don't work for me.

I also have a stripped ATI lower somewhere. No idea what'll become of it. That's likely to remain the case for some time.

Old 11-28-2013, 02:36 AM   #19

Liked 204 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

I would say no to that trade. Keep the SR1911. I have a couple of ATI stocks and I do like them but no idea of what quality the AR would be. Their stocks are generally cheap ($$) and do work, but a whole AR (??????).

I have no problem with a carbon fiber AR, but mine is a Bushmaster and I bought it just to play around and change it out. I think they are still too new to tell how long they will last, where as the all metal ones have a proven track record.

Just my 2 cents.
Jim