Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 05:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 14 Posts

Default AR problem

I have posted here about the accuracy of a scope on my PWA. The consensus was to put on the Nikon scope and see how that worked. I put on the Nikon 3-9 and this greatly improved the accuracy. I went from 6 to 8 inch groups to about 2 to 3 inch groups. I was shooting with a hard rest front and me holding back so it was not sand bagged in. I think this is acceptable for how I was shooting.

The problem came in with the cycling over stripping and having an empty chamber. First thing I had this problem with a colt mag and plastic followers. I purchased a colt mag with aluminum follower and hand cycled the rounds in both my colt and pwa with no over stripping. I noticed that the over stripping did not seem to be due to the mag. But it was the ammo. At first I thought it was the steel cased ammo Tul from wally world. I would hand cycle a round and then shoot an an empty chamber.

The ammo over stripped almost every time. I removed the balance of the Tul and put in winchester ammo. It cycled every time. I put back in the Tul and noticed it did the same over stripping. I also noticed what seemed to me a precipitable difference in recoil in the Tul [less recoil] than the Winchester. Since I could just hand cycle the gun and it would feed the Tul fine but when fired it seemed to not strip off a round and the Winchester worked fine, it could be that the Tul had not enough recoil to cycle the bolt quite enough to grab the next round.
I don't know this is the problem but it would seem to fit what happened. If it was drag on the steel case then I would have a problem cycling it by hand if it were not pushing up far enough.

Has anyone else shot this Tul Wilmar Russian ammo? If so have you had any problems?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-10-2011, 06:04 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have read that some of the Russian ammo is a little underpowered and that can cause "short stroking". Put in a lighter bolt buffer spring and that cures the problem. But if you are going to be bouncing around with brands of ammo, I would stick to American stuff and the standard weight buffer spring. This is just my opinion.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:20 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Its probably as simple as swapping the buffer thats in your rifle for a lighter one. What buffer do you have in your rifle right now?

Old 02-10-2011, 06:47 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Its probably as simple as swapping the buffer thats in your rifle for a lighter one. What buffer do you have in your rifle right now?
Agreed. If you have a heavier buffer, the lighter recoil Russian stuff might not be able to propel it far enough strip the next round. The Winchester seems to get it done fine.

Inside your buffer there are small weights, which can be changed out, to vary the weight and can help the reliability of your weapon depending on the ammo that you shoot the most often.

That is why you see people just make the statement "I haven't had any problems since I swapped mine for a 9mm buffer" and people advocate doing it without understanding why.

I don't recommend doing it unless you are going to be shooting a lot of low pressure rounds. Like in a Meth lab entry gun for example.

JD

Old 02-10-2011, 06:50 PM   #5

Liked 38 Times on 14 Posts

I never have had the buffer out. I take it the detent is pushed down and the bugger will come out?

Old 02-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #6

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by edteach View Post
I never have had the buffer out. I take it the detent is pushed down and the bugger will come out?
Correct. Just be sure not to let it fly out and get lost.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 02-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #7

Liked 971 Times on 682 Posts
Likes Given: 972

Yeah just push down on the buffer detent and you can work out the buffer and spring. But cock the hammer and flick on the safety first to make it easier to remove. The detent will not shoot out unless the receiver extension isn't on right.

I have no problems with Tula in my two ARs. Other than a little dirty and so so accuracy.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
. Like in a Meth lab entry gun for example.

JD
Ya people ask cops all the time how to spot a Meth Lab. Its pretty obvious to me.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:40 PM   #9

Liked 971 Times on 682 Posts
Likes Given: 972

Good one, MrMilspecer!

Old 02-10-2011, 09:58 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Usually I only take the ammo I intend to shoot. I also take plenty of spare parts in my range bag. Now that Ive started shooting steel ammo I take an extra buffer.

Just push the detent down and pull out the buffer. I leave the spring in. Like Quentin said you may need to depress the hammer.