AR pistol rules and questions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR pistol rules and questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 01:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Default AR pistol rules and questions

I am looking at building a AR pistol in 5.56 / .223 and I have read the NFA rules but want to ask to make sure the rules apply this as a pistol by definition for this type of firearm . I know as a rifle its supposed to have a
16" barrel , however as a pistol barrel length does not matter right ? it just cannot have a stock ,it would need the pistol style buffer tube to make this legal and be considered a " pistol " ?
Just looking to get this right before I even think about ordering parts for it .
Just thinking it would be a neat little project
Thanks for any help in advance and Merry Christmas

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-26-2011, 01:12 AM   #2

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yes and you also need to make sure the manufacturer marked the lower you use as a pistol at the factory. You can now legally build a rifle afterwards if you don't like it as a pistol. Then you can legally turn it back to a pistol if you choose.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using FirearmsTalk

Old 12-26-2011, 01:19 AM   #3

Liked 1005 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

I'd think carefully before building an AR pistol. A very clumsy and expensive pistol but it is handy compared to a rifle. I wonder if a Glock 17 or 19 (then throw in a 33rd mag) wouldn't be a better choice.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:35 AM   #4

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Sounds like a cheaper alternative but not really what Im looking for , So a person cant take a rifle and turn it in to a AR pistol because the lower needs pistol markings on it ? Not that I would ,but just a question I have . IM looking at a 11" barrel 1:9 , there is just so much to choose from out there and I never realized how many places there are right here in the state of Illinois that are distributors

Old 12-26-2011, 01:41 AM   #5

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

No I didn't mean markings on the receiver. There is a form all manufacturers have to fill out when they produce a firearm one of which is designating it rifle, pistol, ect... sorry for the confusion. As far as know if the receiver has "multi" for the cal it is most likely a pistol lower but make sure by asking when you buy it.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using FirearmsTalk

Old 12-26-2011, 05:02 PM   #6

Liked 1005 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Usually stripped lowers are classified as "other", not "pistol" or "rifle" by the FFL on the federal form when you buy the lower. It's been that way for me for every stripped lower without my saying a word - the FFL checked off that box without asking. That should allow you to build it as a pistol or rifle, assuming it's legal in your community or state. I'm only going by what I've heard since I've never built or had any interest in an AR pistol. But again all my lowers were checked off as "other" then I built them as rifles. If the FFL checked "rifle" I don't think you can legally convert that lower into a pistol.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.