Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > ar pistol build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default ar pistol build

Hello, I have never built any type of gun before but have been looking for an ar pistol. I have had several people tell me to build one so it is exactly what I want not what everyone else will have. I would greatly appreciate any help on a list of exactly what items I need to buy to build one; I want it in a 556 caliber as that is what my ar rifles are in and I could share ammo. I do have people around me that could help as well but I think the more information and input from experienced gun builders I can get the better off I will be thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-10-2013, 12:55 PM   #2

Liked 574 Times on 306 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdjess8
Hello, I have never built any type of gun before but have been looking for an ar pistol. I have had several people tell me to build one so it is exactly what I want not what everyone else will have. I would greatly appreciate any help on a list of exactly what items I need to buy to build one; I want it in a 556 caliber as that is what my ar rifles are in and I could share ammo. I do have people around me that could help as well but I think the more information and input from experienced gun builders I can get the better off I will be thanks.
Well brother you picked the hardest thing to build for your first go at it. The hardest thing to build right is a 7.5" pistol, or you can go with a 10"-11.5" barrel to make life easier. The longer barrels come with a carbine gas system which is easier to get smooth operation and cycling from. A 7.5" barrel has a pistol gas system which has a short stroke, you would have to play around with the buffer weight,BCG weight( semi/Full auto) , and muzzle device. Slight changes to those can change the cycling. If I swap out my BCG for a lighter one , it changes the way my pistol cycles dramatically. You have to find the right combination of those three components to balance it out. When making theses changes to a carbine they are not as noticeable. First figure out what length your going with and then start researching all the parts. I love my 7.5". It's a pain, but worth it.
image-1690925114.jpg   image-1501807751.jpg  

Old 06-11-2013, 12:04 AM   #3

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Get a decent barrel, and everything should work out just fine. The gas port is sized/drilled out by the barrel maker. If done properly you should have no issues.

First things first, check your local laws and make sure you don't get yourself in trouble. Here in California, its a bit complicated to procure one.

Second, just start out with a standard carbine buffer. If you have heavier buffers, you can tinker with the timing later. Get her up and running, but a good variety of ammo to test out...like Wolf and Tula, m193, m855, maybe some American Eagle .223 or PMC .223/5.56.

Are you planning on buying a complete upper or are you going to build it all up by yourself?

Old 06-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Skrb_25 View Post
Well brother you picked the hardest thing to build for your first go at it. The hardest thing to build right is a 7.5" pistol, or you can go with a 10"-11.5" barrel to make life easier. The longer barrels come with a carbine gas system which is easier to get smooth operation and cycling from. A 7.5" barrel has a pistol gas system which has a short stroke, you would have to play around with the buffer weight,BCG weight( semi/Full auto) , and muzzle device. Slight changes to those can change the cycling. If I swap out my BCG for a lighter one , it changes the way my pistol cycles dramatically. You have to find the right combination of those three components to balance it out. When making theses changes to a carbine they are not as noticeable. First figure out what length your going with and then start researching all the parts. I love my 7.5". It's a pain, but worth it.
That gun of yours is a beautiful piece of art

Old 06-11-2013, 09:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Get a decent barrel, and everything should work out just fine. The gas port is sized/drilled out by the barrel maker. If done properly you should have no issues.

First things first, check your local laws and make sure you don't get yourself in trouble. Here in California, its a bit complicated to procure one.

Second, just start out with a standard carbine buffer. If you have heavier buffers, you can tinker with the timing later. Get her up and running, but a good variety of ammo to test out...like Wolf and Tula, m193, m855, maybe some American Eagle .223 or PMC .223/5.56.

Are you planning on buying a complete upper or are you going to build it all up by yourself?
I am not sure what I will do yet as I have no idea; however, my local gun shop is run by military guys so I am sure they will help me with whatever I decide to do

Old 06-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #6

Okay so I know I need a lower reciever parts kit and a fully assembled upper receiver (that's what I have been told) what is a good one to buy? I don't need top of the line but I also don't want bottom; I want something in the middle maybe a little higher

Old 06-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #7

Liked 574 Times on 306 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdjess8

That gun of yours is a beautiful piece of art
Thanks, I built her from the ground up out of a 80% lower up milled.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:36 PM   #8
CGS

Liked 66 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Before you go out and buy a bunch of parts understand what they are and how they cooperate with each other... http://chicagogunsmith.com/blog/ar15-design-build-guide-to/7/

It's not that hard to do to build and AR15 but I have seen some disasters with mismatched parts. The tools you need will cost you about $100 or more depending on tool dependent you get.

I have a new chrome lined 7.5" RRA barrel for sale if you're interested.

-Thomas
NRA Life Member, ISRA Member, American Gunsmith Institute Certified, NRA Instructor, State of IL authorized Carry Concealed Instructor http://www.chicagogunsmith.com
http://www.firearmtrainingchicago.com