Ar pistol
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Ar pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 02:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ar pistol

So my understanding is that if i buy a registered ar pistol lower i can put an 11.5" barrell on it and its not considered a sbr by atf standards. Correct me of im wrong. Also ive never seen a pistol lower with a stock on it. Is this illegal? Or are they made so you cant fit a stock on them?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-18-2012, 02:36 AM   #2

Barrel* sorry typing from an ipod

Old 04-18-2012, 02:40 AM   #3

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by czwicky View Post
So my understanding is that if i buy a registered ar pistol lower i can put an 11.5" barrell on it and its not considered a sbr by atf standards. Correct me of im wrong. Also ive never seen a pistol lower with a stock on it. Is this illegal? Or are they made so you cant fit a stock on them?
If it has a stock it is not a pistol. They make pistol buffer extensions that will not except a stock.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:55 AM   #4

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Check your local laws first. I know in Calif there's a bunch of hoops you have to jump through in order to get one.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:48 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

If you put a stock on a pistol, it is then a short barrel rifle ( SBR). If the rifle barrel is shorter than 16" it must be registered. Anyone could take a hacksaw to an AR barrel or put a stock on a pistol with a long ride to prison if they get caught. The buffer tube could be changed to use a stock to answer your question, just don't do it.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:13 AM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK

If it has a stock it is not a pistol. They make pistol buffer extensions that will not except a stock.
Some make special tubes that won't accept a stock. You can use a regular old buffer tube, but I would find a way to make it soma stock wouldn't fit on it. Unless the stock is on the rifle, it's not a SBR, so you could technically have a pistol AR with a normal buffer tube without having it modified so as to not fit a stock, and have it right next to a stock that's just waiting for a buffer tube, and TECHNICALLY you're still ok. There is no "intent to make an unregistered SBR" charge, but that doesn't mean you won't get hassled and questioned for it. Save yourself the time and either make a normal buffer tube incapable of accepting a stock, or buy a special one. I have seen foam padding on the tube and even a cheek weld piece that attaches to the tube, as long as it isn't a stock (defined as something made to rest against your shoulder) then its ok.

People say all sorts of stupid things, like it's illegal to shoot the rifle with the buffer tube on your shoulder since that would be using it LIKE a stock, but they are full of crap. The buffer tube was designed as part of the rifle, part of how it functions/cycles, with no thought to it being a piece that was intended to rest on your shoulder. It is therefore, by definition, not a stock. They can't tell you HOW you can or cannot shoot your rifle, it would be like telling you it's illegal to fire the rifle with the buffer tube resting on your knee. Just know the definition of a stock, don't ever put one on it, and you should be in the clear.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 04-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #7

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Todd, I would consult a NFA attorney or the ATF regarding intent. I'm just going by gut feeling but I simply would not use a standard receiver extension (mistakingly called it a buffer extension above) on a pistol. I have and it gave me such an uneasy feeling I never even fired the thing and sold it off.

It has been described to me as anything verticle.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #8

Alright starting to make a bit more sense now. Thankfully my local laws allow ar's and ar pistols so in that regard im in the clear. Also i would prefer to assemble the upper of my ar pistol with an 11.5 or 9 in barrel. The only thing i dont understand is the gas system. How it works yes. How to make it work correctly with a shorter barrel not really. Any explination on this would be very helpfull. Also i plan to have it chambered in 6.8 spc II so idn if that would affect the gas system. This project is going to be a home defense/varmant weapon. The lower is a RRA 5.56 pistol lower(which i am under the undertanding that it will work with a 6.8 upper

Old 04-18-2012, 07:19 PM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK
Todd, I would consult a NFA attorney or the ATF regarding intent. I'm just going by gut feeling but I simply would not use a standard receiver extension (mistakingly called it a buffer extension above) on a pistol. I have and it gave me such an uneasy feeling I never even fired the thing and sold it off.

It has been described to me as anything verticle.
Thanks for the correction, and what I said IS based off copies of ATF letters I have read, not just what I have heard. The ATF makes it very clear that there is no intent charge, just don't put the stock on a standard receiver extension, or whatever it's called, and there won't be any problems.

Funny, a branch of the government that actually speaks in clear terms and doesn't muddle the water with what-ifs, crazy!!

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 04-19-2012, 07:29 AM   #10
FTF_SPONSOR.png

Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 4

There are several pistol specific receiver extensions. Spike's Tactical is one of the more popular choices.

ROG Tactical
Corona, CA
sales@rogtac.com

Visit www.rogtac.com for quality AR-platform parts and accessories.

Forum members use coupon code, FT5, to save 5% on most products.