AR Pistol
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR Pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2014, 06:46 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default AR Pistol

I am wanting to build my first AR pistol, just looked and Spikes is on a 8-12 mo back order. Any suggestions as to where I should maybe look for another quality option? Thank you in advance everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-07-2014, 07:27 AM   #2
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3371 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default AR Pistol build

Lots of options for the build your own or the "buy and Build out" set…Do your research on what you want..If you want a lot of fancy add ons you might wind up over paying….

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 02-07-2014, 08:08 AM   #3
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1337 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Mine started as a DB-15 Diamondback. Affordable and you can simply add on or change as you go. The advantage is that these are at most suppliers right now for shipping. The hardest part of this pistol is getting a Kydex holster that fits properly...

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 02-07-2014, 09:14 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 269 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 36

How long of a barrel are you after?

I would recommend keeping an eye on PSA deals. Get on their email alert list. Similar quality to Spike's, but even easier on your wallet (and Spike's prices are generally quite good).

PSA products often offer Colt level ($1100 rifle) quality at DPMS ($700) pricing. At least that's my opinion. This PSA is a great deal, but maybe a little longer than you're after in the pistol format. Fine SBR choice though.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:04 PM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Thank you all for the very quick replies, I am wanting to get a lower first so I will keep my eye out for the PSA as you said. I will also check out the Diamondback but I believe I'd like a step up from that in the quality department unless they are getting better. I'm open to any other ideas as to a place to find a lower that isn't on back order keep the comments coming please!

Old 02-07-2014, 02:29 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1082 Times on 490 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUDAN View Post
Thank you all for the very quick replies, I am wanting to get a lower first so I will keep my eye out for the PSA as you said. I will also check out the Diamondback but I believe I'd like a step up from that in the quality department unless they are getting better. I'm open to any other ideas as to a place to find a lower that isn't on back order keep the comments coming please!

Are you wanting a completed one? Or are you capable of building? Because if you are open to the building route..... The possibilities are endless! imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1391783111.787048.jpgmy 5.56 10 1/2" pistol build. I bought this upper completed from Hardened Arms.
imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1391783255.358790.jpgThis is my 8" 300 BLK pistol that I built completely from parts. I like going this route better. Allows you to build to your own taste.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Old 02-07-2014, 02:46 PM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGunner View Post
Are you wanting a completed one? Or are you capable of building? Because if you are open to the building route..... The possibilities are endless! Attachment 135530my 5.56 10 1/2" pistol build. I bought this upper completed from Hardened Arms.
Attachment 135531This is my 8" 300 BLK pistol that I built completely from parts. I like going this route better. Allows you to build to your own taste.

WI have never built my own however from what I can tell it doesn't take a rocket scientist so I'm open to that at the most id prefer to buy a complete lower and upper and BCG and assembly them. Since you have built your own do you have any thoughts on a first timer building from the ground up. I am not a AR newb just new to building.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:32 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1082 Times on 490 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Quote:
WI have never built my own however from what I can tell it doesn't take a rocket scientist so I'm open to that at the most id prefer to buy a complete lower and upper and BCG and assembly them. Since you have built your own do you have any thoughts on a first timer building from the ground up. I am not a AR newb just new to building.

It was not long ago that I was a first timer. Before my first build I watched a youtube video and read a step by step build list from AR15.com. I found it to be really easy. Now if you put a box of parts in front of me, I will have a completed gun in about 30 minutes.

Questions to ask yourself if you plan on building......

Do you have 2 hands?
Did you grow up building things out of legos?
Do you have attention to detail?

And most importantly.....
Are you willing to possibly catch an incurable case of BRD (Black Rifle Disease)?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334
KG7IL Likes This 
Old 02-07-2014, 11:56 PM   #9
At least my puppy loves me.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1889 Times on 1047 Posts
Likes Given: 5679

Quote:
I'm open to any other ideas as to a place to find a lower that isn't on back order keep the comments coming please!
I live in AR country, and they are everywhere!

The store shelves and racks are full of uppers and lowers.

Try the links for info.

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/
http://MegaArms.com

Try this online site for in-stock (SAA lowers ARE made by AeroPrecision.)
http://aeroprecisionusa.com/

Email your representatives USE THIS LINK

KG7IL

Old 02-08-2014, 02:21 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 195 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 105

My lower, barrel, buffer tube, and a lot of other parts (not the upper) are from tactical weapons solutions www.twsarms.com they always have stuff in stock, great products, great customer service. Complete guns, lowers, uppers, barrels, and all types of other parts you would ever need.