AR picture thread - Page 78
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR picture thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 11:03 PM   #771
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51

I have an AR-10A4C...really like the ArmaLite rifles. Had the WASR's I tried looked like that one, I'd own one of those too. You do the wood on that one?
You're a lucky guy.. I originally wanted the A4 model but they didn't have it in stock in the shop i go to. So, I'm probably going to buy the A4 upper and replace the A2 so I can mount an optic. I also want 1913 hand guards. I agree that armalite makes quality rifles, I don't regret the purchase one bit. Also, thank you for the complement, I did refurbish the wood. The wasr wood furniture usually comes unfinished so it's actually pretty quick and easy to sand, stain, sand, lacquer. Do you still own a wasr?

Old 01-13-2012, 11:04 PM   #772

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat
Nice rifles.
Thanks brother. Appreciate it

Old 01-13-2012, 11:24 PM   #773

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessMarksman

You're a lucky guy.. I originally wanted the A4 model but they didn't have it in stock in the shop i go to. So, I'm probably going to buy the A4 upper and replace the A2 so I can mount an optic. I also want 1913 hand guards. I agree that armalite makes quality rifles, I don't regret the purchase one bit. Also, thank you for the complement, I did refurbish the wood. The wasr wood furniture usually comes unfinished so it's actually pretty quick and easy to sand, stain, sand, lacquer. Do you still own a wasr?
No, a friend of mine had a couple of them and wanted to get rid of one. I already had the ArmaLite, and an LWRCI in 5.56 and was looking to add an AK platform to the collection. I went to the range with him a couple of times and shot them...they were acceptably accurate, VERY robust rifles...I think the fact that I really hadn't been around AK's led to me being taken aback a little at the inherent primitive nature of them when compared to western stuff. Like you say...it almost felt as if you might actually get a splinter from the furniture.

I'll have an AK...probably sooner than later, but unless I find one that is already cleaned up and made really nice like yours, I doubt it will be a WASR. I've had a couple of guys recommend Arsenal and Saiga conversions, which are a little more expensive, but I am a welder by trade so I don't really have the skills to refurb these things to the level that a lot of you guys do.

Good choice on the upper switch...those rifles really do beg for some glass!!

Great job on the AK...

Old 01-14-2012, 12:48 AM   #774

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51

No, a friend of mine had a couple of them and wanted to get rid of one. I already had the ArmaLite, and an LWRCI in 5.56 and was looking to add an AK platform to the collection. I went to the range with him a couple of times and shot them...they were acceptably accurate, VERY robust rifles...I think the fact that I really hadn't been around AK's led to me being taken aback a little at the inherent primitive nature of them when compared to western stuff. Like you say...it almost felt as if you might actually get a splinter from the furniture.

I'll have an AK...probably sooner than later, but unless I find one that is already cleaned up and made really nice like yours, I doubt it will be a WASR. I've had a couple of guys recommend Arsenal and Saiga conversions, which are a little more expensive, but I am a welder by trade so I don't really have the skills to refurb these things to the level that a lot of you guys do.

Good choice on the upper switch...those rifles really do beg for some glass!!

Great job on the AK...
I hope you get an AK platform. They're really great rifles. Although they are a bit different than the AR, you can familiarize yourself with the system very quickly, as you pointed out, very robust. all depends what you like though. If you do decide to get one, a WASR is probably your cheapest and most common choice. In regards to the wood, I would think you could fix them up real nice. You may be a welder, but you must be a craftsmen as well. I'm sure you wouldn't have a hard time with it. Besides there are as many stock/hand guard sets on the internet for the AK as the AR. You can go to websites like K-VAR or tapco and easily find quality polymer and wood stock sets. Unfortunately you have to pay for them :/ and I truly appreciate your complement, It's always nice to hear a fellow shooter respects the work I put into it, and you're right, an AR just isn't complete without the optic.. I just have one question, do you feel the Short Stroke Piston system is superior to the DI system? The LWRCI runs on a piston doesn't it? Correct me if I wrong

Old 01-14-2012, 01:07 AM   #775

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessMarksman View Post
Attachment 37421

My beautiful AR-10A2 and WASR-10/63
I know this is an AR thread, but nice job on the steel of your WASR! Is that finish rubbed off or is there a silver rubbed on...? maybe it's just my eyes playing tricks on me. Either way... I love that look. I have 3 AK's myself No WASR yet... and I want to do one of them in the BFPU look.

Oh and nice AR too!

Old 01-14-2012, 01:24 AM   #776

Liked 1067 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

Nice to see and read about ArmaLites, guys! I'll drop in pictures of my M15A4C below

And beautiful job on the wood of your WASR, DauntlessMarksman! After five years mine just got a few coats of tung oil and steel wool... Maybe I could do more!

ArmaLite M15A4C left with carry handle

ArmaLite M15A4C right with carry handle

ArmaLite M15A4C right with Nikon

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:09 AM   #777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch

I know this is an AR thread, but nice job on the steel of your WASR! Is that finish rubbed off or is there a silver rubbed on...? maybe it's just my eyes playing tricks on me. Either way... I love that look. I have 3 AK's myself No WASR yet... and I want to do one of them in the BFPU look.

Oh and nice AR too!
Thanks a lot for that man.. I appreciate it. Your eyes are telling the truth. It does really look like that. Looks better in sunlight.(I'll post a pic below) I took sandpaper (150-180 grit) and a little bore solvent and took it to the poorly finished blueing. The original finish wasn't parkerized or anodized so it wasn't like
I was damaging the rifle. I keep some
Nevr- dull around to ensure that no rust ever develops on the steel. It's actually an easy process. There are different ways people will achieve that look but they usually revolve around using an abrasive.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:13 AM   #778

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessMarksman

I hope you get an AK platform. They're really great rifles. Although they are a bit different than the AR, you can familiarize yourself with the system very quickly, as you pointed out, very robust. all depends what you like though. If you do decide to get one, a WASR is probably your cheapest and most common choice. In regards to the wood, I would think you could fix them up real nice. You may be a welder, but you must be a craftsmen as well. I'm sure you wouldn't have a hard time with it. Besides there are as many stock/hand guard sets on the internet for the AK as the AR. You can go to websites like K-VAR or tapco and easily find quality polymer and wood stock sets. Unfortunately you have to pay for them :/ and I truly appreciate your complement, It's always nice to hear a fellow shooter respects the work I put into it, and you're right, an AR just isn't complete without the optic.. I just have one question, do you feel the Short Stroke Piston system is superior to the DI system? The LWRCI runs on a piston doesn't it? Correct me if I wrong
It is a piston gun, yes. As far as superior to the DI system, only that it's easier to maintain and clean the BCG. I look like a diesel mechanic after I finish cleaning that ArmaLite. I doubt there is any real advantage to it other than that. Never had a hiccup of any kind with the DI AR-10.

What is funny though, now that we are comparing the two rifles, is that the LWRCI cost me almost DOUBLE the ArmaLite, and I have atop it a genuine ACOG, but the big rifle gets ALOT more attention at the range. I pull the little rifle out, and people are like ....meh?....But the AR10 for some reason is a friggin' rock star.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:14 AM   #779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
Nice to see and read about ArmaLites, guys! I'll drop in pictures of my M15A4C below

And beautiful job on the wood of your WASR, DauntlessMarksman! After five years mine just got a few coats of tung oil and steel wool... Maybe I could do more!

ArmaLite M15A4C left with carry handle

ArmaLite M15A4C right with carry handle

ArmaLite M15A4C right with Nikon
Thank you Quentin! You could definitely do more with your AK if you feel you can. It's a canvas in need of artwork. Btw I like the standard AR look. I've always been a fan of it. ( I do prefer some upgrades though) Do you plan on adding anything to it later on?

Old 01-14-2012, 02:17 AM   #780

Liked 1067 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
... What is funny though, now that we are comparing the two rifles, is that the LWRCI cost me almost DOUBLE the ArmaLite, and I have atop it a genuine ACOG, but the big rifle gets ALOT more attention at the range. I pull the little rifle out, and people are like ....meh?....But the AR10 for some reason is a friggin' rock star.
The AR-10 IS a rock star!!!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.