Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR picture thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2011, 02:04 AM   #701
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
Nice rifle cross, i just mentioned in another thread that i didnt think an adjustable stock would work (look good really) on a full length rifle, i have an A2 and am thinking of getting one. But yours proved me wrong, love the fde too
Thanks dragunov. That's a 16" though, it just has a rifle length handguard. But collapsible stocks can look good on rifles. At some point, I wanna build a 20" with a Magpul UBR. They're expensive, but they're super nice, and they're heavy which will help balance out the heavier barrel.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 12-17-2011, 02:12 AM   #702

Liked 55 Times on 31 Posts

This is my Olympic Arms AR-15

forumrunner_20111216_221205.jpg

forumrunner_20111216_221219.jpg

Have Gun....Will Travel

Old 12-17-2011, 02:33 AM   #703

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Cross, nice looking rifle.

My old Spikes. It was a good AR.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 12-17-2011, 03:09 AM   #704

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Cross, nice looking rifle.

My old Spikes. It was a good AR.

Thanks mjkeat. Lol, they look like twins.

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 12-17-2011, 05:25 AM   #705

FCross and MJKeat... Whoa, steppin up the game here a little, I better get to work..! NO MORE DISTRACTIONS... I'm serious..! Oh, SQUIRREL !!
Seriously FCross, how do you like that Angled Fore Grip. I'm asking simply because I have a tendency to grab right in front of the mag, and mine
is so heavy a regular vertical grip doesn't feel "right".
1-11.jpg  

Last edited by ANGRYcanary; 12-17-2011 at 05:28 AM.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:42 PM   #706

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
Thanks mjkeat. Lol, they look like twins.

-Fred
My first thought as well.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 12-17-2011, 11:16 PM   #707

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Still needs a better trigger, vertical grip, bi-pod, and a weekend job to pay for it's ACOG, but it's gettin there. About as good as you can have in NY anyway.

image-2750248368.jpg  

Old 12-18-2011, 12:25 AM   #708

Hey tsully, I've got a vert grip I'll send ya if you want, It's sort of a dark gray/green color, and it has a threaded, o-ring sealed storage,
but it's free if you want it. I was gonna just paint the entire rifle, after I got everything put together. Just send me a p.m.

zzz15.2-small.jpg  

Last edited by ANGRYcanary; 12-18-2011 at 12:27 AM.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:52 AM   #709

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGRYcanary View Post
FCross and MJKeat... Whoa, steppin up the game here a little, I better get to work..! NO MORE DISTRACTIONS... I'm serious..! Oh, SQUIRREL !!
Seriously FCross, how do you like that Angled Fore Grip. I'm asking simply because I have a tendency to grab right in front of the mag, and mine
is so heavy a regular vertical grip doesn't feel "right".
For me personally, and the way I shoot, I like the AFG. If you shoot with a thumb over grip, it's definitely worth trying out an AFG. I haven't tried some of the other options that are out there, so I can't say that it's the best, but it's good. At some point, I'm gonna pick up either a Spike's SAR or a DD Lite Rail, when that time comes, I'm gonna try out some of the hand stops that are out there, simply because they're smaller, lighter and more streamlined. Something like this:

LaRue Tactical HandStop and IndexClip Combo, 74 Total Piece Set | LaRue Tactical

But with the handguard that's currently on my rifle, the AFG is the only viable option. Some people who shoot thumb over run their rifles with no sort of grip or hand break/stop on their rifles, but I don't have the kind of muscle memory for that yet, so I like to have something to use as a, for lack of a better word, "place marker" on my handguard. That way I know my hand is on the exact same spot on the rifle every time.

In contrast to that, some people like to run vert grips, or do like you have done, and just grip the magwell, and that's cool. I've always said do what works best for you. Neither of these methods work for me, and I'll tell you why, then you can make your own decision.

Magwell Grip:
The magwell grip is really popular with a lot of military guys I know. Using that grip style, you can probably swing the rifle a little faster, but in my experience I have way less control. I get a lot of over swing and sway.

For example, take a broomstick and grab it in the middle with both hands, with about 5 inches in between your hands, then have someone grab the broomstick and try to move it around. Then do the same thing, but leave about 18-20 inches in between, and have them do the same thing.

I bet they were able to move it a lot more when your hands were close together. The same applies to the rifle. When you're swinging it, and you stop swinging, the momentum of the rifle can cause it to kind of shift in your grip, what I'm calling over swing. Plus with my hand so close together, I'm not able to point shoot very well. (More on this in a minute).

Vert Grips:
Vert grips look cool, but for me, that's about all they do. For me, they are uncomfortable and unwieldy. After shooting for a while, it starts to make my wrist cramp up. However, my biggest problem for me when using a vert grip, is it puts both of your hands below the bulk of the weight on the rifle, causing it to sway and can't bad when I'm swinging it, and it just feels like I have less control.

Thumb-over Grip:
I like the thumb over grip for 2 main reasons. #1 It's very comfortable for me. #2 It's super stable.

Using the thumb over, I can shoot for hours and not have my wrist cramp up.

As far as stability goes, it can't be beaten in my opinion. Your hand is way out far on the barrel, so it really helps with reducing muzzle rise, and keeps the rifle from shifting in your grip when swinging, reducing over swing. It gets your hand up around and over where the bulk of the rifle weight is, keeping it from swaying in your grip. Lastly, since I've got my hands stretched out, with my support pointing straight at the target, I find point shooting must easier and much more accurate.

YMMV

As always, experiment and draw your own conclusions. There is no right or wrong way to grip a rifle, there is only the way that works best for you.

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 12-18-2011, 02:10 AM   #710

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Thats good stuff Cross.

As a guy who used the magwell grip for years the thumb over felt as weird as ____. It took the better part of a range trip or two to get used to it but it is much better.

-John Ruskin

Quote: