Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR picture thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 12:15 AM   #391
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok, so I was watching Black Hawk Down and Restrepo and I noticed alot of the soldiers packing 100 mile an hour tape on their M16's and M4's.

I just thought it'd be cool, I didn't mean to offend anyone.

Last edited by indyfan; 04-11-2011 at 12:19 AM.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:00 AM   #392

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
Ok, so I was watching Black Hawk Down and Restrepo and I noticed alot of the soldiers packing 100 mile an hour tape on their M16's and M4's.

I just thought it'd be cool, I didn't mean to offend anyone.

During my 11B days we didn't use much tape or 550 cord on our weapons. The only time we did was to tape or PEQ and light switches to our VFGs. A lot of that Hollywood stuff is just that, Hollywood.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:58 AM   #393

Liked 58 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Quote:
During my 11B days we didn't use much tape or 550 cord on our weapons. The only time we did was to tape or PEQ and light switches to our VFGs. A lot of that Hollywood stuff is just that, Hollywood.
Sadly now days theres more tape and 550 cord on a rifle then rifle on a rifle, now days 11b's have to tie down everything on their m4 and tape just comes in handy for holding on switches and 550 cord wolf hooks, theres no point in having tape on the end of your buttstock like black hawk down, thats just retarded, i agree hollywood crap.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:58 AM   #394

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Tape has its benefits. It can be used to camouflage your gun, tape two mags together jungle style, mount a flashlight last minute, etc

I'm not gonna lie, I taped my gun to give it that military look, I mean the cosmetics of a gun is important too, Right? Hell, I think AR-15's look great when they get scratched up and dirty.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:02 AM   #395

The idea for the tape in the days of Somalia was that it was just a good convenient place to keep tape, nothing special no magic no VOODOO the premise was that every one can use tape for allot of things really would you rather need to carry a half a pound roll in you ruck or put a few raps on your rifle. when yo could save weight in those days as well as today any fighting man will tell you that useful weight is OK but every ounce counts that's how new boots end up with a 90lbs ruck and then they get too addicted to the gear that they pitch the armor plates in their vests and get killed.
so give the guy a break its just tape and if he wants some tape maybe the proper placement of it for use would be helpful instead of making fun of him for trying to make his tool work for him... I hope i shed some light on the subject.

It only hurts till the pain goes away...

Old 04-11-2011, 07:17 AM   #396

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
400 rounds through my new build, no problems whatsoever

You tape that bitch all you want dude its your tool and NO ONE has the right to tell you you cant it that second type of cool man as long as you handle that tool as well as she looks you know what make it yours you put a little tape on yours just wait until your out and you see that group of guys that cant grip their gun with the 10 lbs of crap they put on the front of it now that's funny seeing the extra sights on the side and the lazes and the grip pods and bi pods and flash lights like on the front end of a train funny light is fast and fast and accurate is life

It only hurts till the pain goes away...

Old 04-11-2011, 07:23 AM   #397

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy34 View Post
You tape that bitch all you want dude its your tool and NO ONE has the right to tell you you cant it that second type of cool man as long as you handle that tool as well as she looks you know what make it yours you put a little tape on yours just wait until your out and you see that group of guys that cant grip their gun with the 10 lbs of crap they put on the front of it now that's funny seeing the extra sights on the side and the lazes and the grip pods and bi pods and flash lights like on the front end of a train funny light is fast and fast and accurate is life
Full stops are your friend

Old 04-11-2011, 11:03 AM   #398

I wasn't giving him any crap about the tape. I am not active or former military. I do not know about the use of tape in combat. That is what I can adaptation, improvisation and over coming adversity.

I was only questioning why the tape was there.

It was his smart ass response I was took offense to. I thought it was not needed and unwarranted.

Now I know why the tape was there, That is fine. Do what ever you want to your AR. I was just wondering if that was a repair on a product we needed to know about.

I think it is time for this thread to get back on track.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:16 PM   #399

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Tape that shinny will give away your position in a second. I dont know of any team, squap, or plt. leader that would let that stuff make it to a rifle in a combat zone. Hell, they freaked out when our lens covers slid off and exposed a corner of our goggles.

I agree tape it all you want, its yours. Just dont do it if you think you're making it a real military weapon.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:20 PM   #400

Default The Current Family

Just to be fair and allow criticism and comments on my collection and mods, here is the current family:

Descriptions as follows

#1 My first, Colt AR SP-1 HBAR 1/7 BONE stock retired form Las Vegas PD.

#2 Accurate Tool Forged Lower, Double Star M4 Flattop Upper w/ 1/9 chrome lined barrel and A2 Front sight and YHM Pop-Up Rear sight, Yankee Hill Forend, CCA stock, Eotech 516, Crimson Trace Vertical Green Laser and Light Hogue pistol grip.

#3 Still in the works, Stag Lower, Stag Upper with Stag 24" 1/9 Bull Barrel, Free Float handguard from Model 1, MagPul PRS Stock, Harris BiPod, Soon to be added, Geissele trigger, Leupold or other scope, and a bunch of rounds.

#4 The latest addition: Stag Lower & M4 Upper Flat top, Removable A2 Handguard. Model 1 16" 1/9 Chrome Lined Barrel with A2 Front and A2 Flash Hider. Oversized CAR handguards, Model 1 LPK with 6 position collapsable stock.

#4 is for the most part a stock boiler plate platform that I will be improving as funds become available.

Went to "Thunder Over Dixie" this past weekend and was NEVER intending on making anything other than a couple SMALL purchases but when you have three Stag Consecutive SE# lowers in your safe and a bunch of cash on hand, well guess what happened. The folks at Model 1 did me right and I was able to build out the #4 and have a BUNCH of funds left over.