Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR picture thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2012, 06:55 AM   #1131
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteglock
Same here. I'd rather leave with my family than have a war in my house and risk them getting shot. But at the same time, IL has the most aggravating, strict/stupid home invasion protection laws. I live in an apartment and there is only one way in, one way out. No back door. And my front door is right by the balcony. U have to make sure they are armed before u shoot them. What if they got a snub nose and u don't see it. Or u say "hey! Don't &@$$@ move!" and there's more than two guys and one of them shoots u. Ur screwed. Then ur wife and child are gonna be screwed too. IL has to rethink they're laws a bit u think????? I always think about that. I think I would feel more horrible if I didn't shoot and it cost my family all our lives rather than being tried and sent to jail.
Negative on making sure they are armed. It's all about PERCEPTION. Illinois actually has a form of the "castle doctrine" on the books, and it's legislation reads that if someone breaks in to your house in a violent or tumultuous way or you believe they are about to commit a felony then you are authorized to use up to deadly force. There are even some lawyers that say of someone is breaking in to your house at all they are in the act of a forcible felony and you have every right to assume you are under the direst of threats. It reads funny, and there is always the totality of the circumstances to be considered, but if it's the middle of the night and my cars are in the driveway and someone is breaking in to my home, I'm going to assume the worst. They cars are there, so it's obvious we are home, and that being said I am going straight to worst case scenario. They may be armed, and they are after my family. A recent study shows that even if you have a weapon drawn and a bead on a target, if they have a weapon in their hand at their side, VERY few people, I forget the percentage but it is SMALL, will be able to fire off a shot before the other person shoots. Since they are the ones initiating the action, your mind has to recognize the movement and threat, process it to understand it, and then send the message to fire down to your hand. This, for the vast majority of people, will take longer than the BGs side of things... Which are lift the gun and start pulling the trigger. He doesn't need to recognize and react, he simply acts, and by then you are behind the ball in a game you don't want to lose.

That being said, and my desire to be tried by 12 before I'm carried by 6, in addition to the way Illinois actually supports you and DOES NOT REQUIRE YOU TO RETREAT IN YOUR OWN HOME, means I will be actively looking to neutralize any threat that enters my environment. I won't be yelling to see their hands, I'm going to assume the worst given the circumstances and protect me and mine. If it turns out you're just THAT dumb and didn't recognize the cars in the driveway meant I was home, and you didn't hear the big dogs barking away, then I'm sorry but you picked the wrong home to **** with.

Laws mean a lot to me. Staying alive means more. End of story. It's obvious my viewpoint has changed after doing the research I did and finding that Illinois does not require me to retreat as well as considering how vulnerable my family and I would be while running across the back yard.... Wouldn't that just suck? You get everyone, you get out, and your family is shot up while fleeing by a BG in your kitchen window who saw you? Forget it, I have two large dogs and I know the layout of my house a lot better than anyone breaking in..... Release the dogs, let them serve to find and distract, and do what needs to be done. Would I hate to see one of my dogs get shot? Yes. Does it beat my family or me? You bet, that's half the reason they are here.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by Todd_; 04-20-2012 at 07:02 AM.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #1132

Liked 46 Times on 30 Posts

Good reply man. I enjoyed reading that. I will do more research and try to find that. Thanks.

spit hell fire

Old 04-21-2012, 01:25 AM   #1133

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck4Glocks

Illinois, Massachusetts, and New York are three places I will never live simply because of their gun laws. In Illinois an off duty police officer can not carry a firearm. Also in Illinois, if someone breaks in your house you must first try and exit your own house. The only way you can shoot an intruder is if you are blocked, by the intruder, from any door. In my state you can shoot them on your property if they are attempting unlawful entry or attempting unlawful entry to your vehicle.
Don't forget new jersey in that list!!

Old 04-21-2012, 01:36 AM   #1134

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_

Negative on making sure they are armed. It's all about PERCEPTION. Illinois actually has a form of the "castle doctrine" on the books, and it's legislation reads that if someone breaks in to your house in a violent or tumultuous way or you believe they are about to commit a felony then you are authorized to use up to deadly force. There are even some lawyers that say of someone is breaking in to your house at all they are in the act of a forcible felony and you have every right to assume you are under the direst of threats. It reads funny, and there is always the totality of the circumstances to be considered, but if it's the middle of the night and my cars are in the driveway and someone is breaking in to my home, I'm going to assume the worst. They cars are there, so it's obvious we are home, and that being said I am going straight to worst case scenario. They may be armed, and they are after my family. A recent study shows that even if you have a weapon drawn and a bead on a target, if they have a weapon in their hand at their side, VERY few people, I forget the percentage but it is SMALL, will be able to fire off a shot before the other person shoots. Since they are the ones initiating the action, your mind has to recognize the movement and threat, process it to understand it, and then send the message to fire down to your hand. This, for the vast majority of people, will take longer than the BGs side of things... Which are lift the gun and start pulling the trigger. He doesn't need to recognize and react, he simply acts, and by then you are behind the ball in a game you don't want to lose.

That being said, and my desire to be tried by 12 before I'm carried by 6, in addition to the way Illinois actually supports you and DOES NOT REQUIRE YOU TO RETREAT IN YOUR OWN HOME, means I will be actively looking to neutralize any threat that enters my environment. I won't be yelling to see their hands, I'm going to assume the worst given the circumstances and protect me and mine. If it turns out you're just THAT dumb and didn't recognize the cars in the driveway meant I was home, and you didn't hear the big dogs barking away, then I'm sorry but you picked the wrong home to **** with.

Laws mean a lot to me. Staying alive means more. End of story. It's obvious my viewpoint has changed after doing the research I did and finding that Illinois does not require me to retreat as well as considering how vulnerable my family and I would be while running across the back yard.... Wouldn't that just suck? You get everyone, you get out, and your family is shot up while fleeing by a BG in your kitchen window who saw you? Forget it, I have two large dogs and I know the layout of my house a lot better than anyone breaking in..... Release the dogs, let them serve to find and distract, and do what needs to be done. Would I hate to see one of my dogs get shot? Yes. Does it beat my family or me? You bet, that's half the reason they are here.
Great reply. It's true about delayed reaction. I took a force in force sims class last week and even knowing it was coming there was sill a moment when you kinda freeze and need to processes everything thats going on. It takes about 1.5 seconds to see the gun, processes it, and then move your arm up.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:00 AM   #1135

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Pic Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 04:20 AM   #1136

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

Mine I just modified some.

image-19193056.jpg  

Old 05-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #1137

Default Word to the wise

I made some purchases of a certain brand of PMAG, TAPCO. So far, three of the PMAGs have malfunctioned due to temperature. Now, I don't shoot full auto, but I do shoot the equivalent of 30-50 rounds per minute. Pretty much what I have seen happening is the lip on both sides of the top opening gets loose and causes an initial double feed when placing the magazine in the magazine well. I also took and shook the magazine only to have to run down about ten to fifteen rounds that went for a short flight. I am going to start getting back to the metal mags, a bit heavier, but more durable. I have not had any experience with Magpul PMAGs, so maybe someone else has info on them. Just a little food for thought.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:24 AM   #1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime42283 View Post
I made some purchases of a certain brand of PMAG, TAPCO. So far, three of the PMAGs have malfunctioned due to temperature. Now, I don't shoot full auto, but I do shoot the equivalent of 30-50 rounds per minute. Pretty much what I have seen happening is the lip on both sides of the top opening gets loose and causes an initial double feed when placing the magazine in the magazine well. I also took and shook the magazine only to have to run down about ten to fifteen rounds that went for a short flight. I am going to start getting back to the metal mags, a bit heavier, but more durable. I have not had any experience with Magpul PMAGs, so maybe someone else has info on them. Just a little food for thought.
So were they Magpuls or Tapcos? PMAGs are a trademarked name of a magazine made my Magpul. Tapco makes polymer magazines but they aren't called PMAGs.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 05-05-2012, 03:39 AM   #1139

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7

So were they Magpuls or Tapcos? PMAGs are a trademarked name of a magazine made my Magpul. Tapco makes polymer magazines but they aren't called PMAGs.

-Fred
That's what I was thinking. My LWRC came with "PMAGs", and they are MagPul. Never had a problem of any kind, either. It's what everybody I shoot with uses most.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #1140

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

+1 pmag=Magpul

I use pmags almost exclusively and have had no trouble with them ever. I've also used the Lancer L5 polymer mag with very good results, although I think the pmags are a little easier to load. I've heard good things about the Troy battle mags, but I haven't had a chance to try one out yet.

No offense, but to me, Tapco is the WalMart of AR parts. Good mags can be had for under $15 from Midway or AIM Surplus or lots of other places.