Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Ar parts equal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Ar parts equal?

I am new to the AR world so bear with me. I watched a YouTube video and have read a few other places that all stripped lowers, stripped uppers, and LPKs are equally reliable. (Of course assuming they are all made from the same material, not a forged lower vs. a polymer.) One writer said there are only a few manufacturers of lower relievers and others just add their roll mark. Same with uppers and parts kits. This seems far fetched to me, but I figured I would see what you guys think.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-29-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 17008 Times on 9841 Posts
Likes Given: 44254

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleDreamer View Post
I am new to the AR world so bear with me. I watched a YouTube video and have read a few other places that all stripped lowers, stripped uppers, and LPKs are equally reliable. (Of course assuming they are all made from the same material, not a forged lower vs. a polymer.) One writer said there are only a few manufacturers of lower relievers and others just add their roll mark. Same with uppers and parts kits. This seems far fetched to me, but I figured I would see what you guys think.
read some of the stickys at the beginning of the AR Section. will give you lots of insight into the world of the AR.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:01 AM   #3

Liked 333 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I've seen lots of reports of broken bolt catches and hammer pins, so I gotta say all lpks are not equal.

Forged 7075, billet 7075, 6061, titanium lower receivers don't really matter.....polymer on the otherhand id be wary of.

Upper recievers on the otherhand should always be as strong as possible.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:11 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki
I've seen lots of reports of broken bolt catches and hammer pins, so I gotta say all lpks are not equal. Forged 7075, billet 7075, 6061, titanium lower receivers don't really matter.....polymer on the otherhand id be wary of. Upper recievers on the otherhand should always be as strong as possible.
I've read a lot especially the last couple weeks and it seems people don't want to list the manufacturers good or bad. I have been more of a pistol guy but am wanting to expand.
A lot of the companies who make these parts are mostly ar-15 type only manufacturers, so for someone like me I have never heard of the majority of these companies. I bought a DPMS lower earlier this year in the "scare times". I am now looking to build on it but am afraid of buying junk. Looking at lower parts kits I've seen CMMG, PSA, and a few others who have just parts kits, but like I said I haven't heard of any of these companies as I am new to this platform.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:55 AM   #5

Psa has publically stated that they buy their lpk components from the same suppliers as FN. FN supplies the our military with M4s. They are resonably priced. I've yt to hear a bad thing about CMMG or Stag but heard a lot of bad things about DPMS. Id steer clear of DPMS, but since they are usally the same or higher priced than PSA its a no brainer.

Heard nothing but good about Daniel Defense, White Oak and JP products but have not personally used them. Hope this helps ya.

Last edited by AgentTikki; 09-30-2013 at 09:39 PM.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:10 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
... heard a lot of bad things about DPMS. Id steer clear of DPMS,...
Yes it does help thanks, btw I just realized your the writer of a couple of the stickies, those were very informative as well.
Is my DPMS stripped lower ok? Or should I swap for another before I begin a build?

Old 09-30-2013, 03:32 AM   #7

Liked 1744 Times on 1049 Posts
Likes Given: 369

My worst AR experience has been with an Olympic Arms. The lower receiver made fitting any other upper, extremely tight because of holes being drilled slightly out of place for the pivot and takedown pins. Olympic also seems to like to use their machinery for milling out the mag well until it is worn out as mags would be a tight fit, and not drop free. My bolt broke shortly after 500 rounds. Their front sight base was cast instead of forged. I replaced every part if the gun but the barrel, because they doable accurate barrels.

DPMS has different levels of guns. Their lower parts kits do seem a but crude, and I've had parts that had problems, specifically a bolt catch that didn't have the roll pin hole properly machined. Friends have built several guns on their receivers though with no problems, and their .308 guns get decent reviews. I have a National match upper and barrel of theirs that I've upgraded some parts on (sights, and BCG). It is super accurate and has given me no problems.
Its of my builds now use Bravo, Spikes, LMT, and some RRA parts.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:22 AM   #8

Liked 733 Times on 544 Posts
Likes Given: 702

Your DPMS stripped lower should be all right for a build. I don't like their LPKs or Del-Tons. (Very rough but otherwise serviceable). I've had good luck with three Daniel Defense and three Stag LPKs. Also with one PSA and one ArmaLite LPK. The PSA by far had the best trigger but I know that was luck of the draw.

My main issue with a DPMS rollmark is that no matter how good the rest of the parts are, your build will be seen first as a DPMS. It's not fair but many of us would immediately suspect a cheap build. All that matters is what you want but if you're going with a quality build with say a BCM upper it still says DPMS below. Whether that matters depends on your range buddies I guess.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-30-2013, 06:49 AM   #9

So long as the receiver is cut to spec, your DPMS lower should be good to go.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:24 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
So long as the receiver is cut to spec, your DPMS lower should be good to go.
I sure hope it's mil spec, only one way to find out.

Thank you all for the replies, the info is very helpful!