AR Parts
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

AR Parts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2009, 10:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

Default AR Parts

Ok So I think I am going to get off my butt and build me an AR.

I want a flattop 20" barrel SS prefered but doesn't have to be.

1. What would be a good qulity lower priced lower for this.

2. What upper sould I go for or should I get a prebuilt upper with a flat top and 20" barrel.

3. I don't really want a 223 a 243 would be nice. Can I get one?

4. Where do you guys get your AR parts.

5. Think I want an adjustable stock so PVT Tango can go hoggin with me maybe.

6. I want a good trigger what would that be?

I know the AR but then I don't know the ar all the same. What Tango you got me so confused. Well I know how to work on one as I was a unit armour for a while in the Army. I mean it's an AR a monkey with a wrench and screwdriver can take care of the thing. I think I know just about what Parts I would need. A lower and a parts kit, upper, barrel, gas tube, bolt and carrier, charging handle, hand guard, stock, pistol grip mags and ammo lots of ammo.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-07-2009, 10:52 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You might already know, but DPMS sells one complete with the following in it, and at $1499.

So if you want to do it in parts, about what price range were you looking to keep it in? That would give us a better idea of what parts we can suggest, without trying to sell you a Cadillac

Slo

Panther™ LR-243L
Model: RFLR-243L AR Parts - AR-15 Discussion

Sale Price: $1,499.00

Availability: Unavailable Online
Due to the nature of this item, it is unavailable for purchase online except by FFL holders on file with DPMS.
Description

Barrel:

•18" Length
•416 Stainless Steel lightweight barrel
•6 grooves, right-hand 1x10 twist, button rifled
•Custom Miculek Compensator
•Lightweight Gas Block

Chamber:

•.243 Winchester

Method of Operation:

•Gas operated rotating bolt

Bolt & Carrier:

•8620 steel bolt carrier, heat treated and plated per Mil Spec
•Phosphated steel bolt, heat treated and plated per Mil Spec

Sights:

•None (mounting optics only)

Weight:

•Empty – 7.99 lbs.

Length:

•39 1/8"
Upper Receiver:

•A3-Style Flattop
•Lightweight Upper, Extruded from 6066-T6 aluminum
•Hard coat anodized per Mil Spec and Teflon® coated black
•Dust cover
•Shell deflector and forward assist machined as one unit
•Right hand ejection

Lower Receiver:

•Milled from a solid billet of 6061-T6 aluminum
•Hard coat anodized per Mil Spec and Teflon® coated black
•Integral trigger guard
•Aluminum magazine release button
•JP Adjustable Trigger group (early 2008 model)
•Two Stage Trigger (late 2008 - Current model)

Stock:

•Skeletonized A2 Black Zytel Mil Spec w/trap door assembly

Handguards:

•Carbon Fiber Free Float Tube w/bipod stud

Each Rifle comes with a 4 round and a 19 round magazine, 1-Nylon Web Sling, and 1-Cleaning Kit

Scope Not Included

PS - the bold and red highlights were for the benefit of the naysayers out there

Old 12-07-2009, 10:53 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Spikes Tactical still running specials on stripped lowers. Haven't seen any bad reviews. Dont have one personally, posted it here before cause it seemed like a great deal @ 50% off.
I think Markerdown ordered one a while back.
SL-15 stripped rifle lower with safe/semi/auto bullet markings [SAR Stripped] - $89.95 : Spikes Tactical
AR Parts - AR-15 Discussion
There are different selector/color options available in case ya dont like the red. They also have complete lowers on special as well.
Just thought I'd throw it back up here if your looking for a deal---Gate

Edit my bad didn't see you wanted a .243. This lower is 5.56 length
Beyond the speed of sound---
Fire it up, Let the engines roll
It's time to burn it down

Last edited by Gatekeeper; 12-07-2009 at 11:12 PM. Reason: stupidity

Old 12-07-2009, 10:59 PM   #4

If your looking for something with a little more kick check out the 6.8 spc round. (68forums.com)

Old 12-07-2009, 11:09 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Ok So I think I am going to get off my butt and build me an AR.

I want a flattop 20" barrel SS prefered but doesn't have to be.

1. What would be a good qulity lower priced lower for this.

2. What upper sould I go for or should I get a prebuilt upper with a flat top and 20" barrel.

3. I don't really want a 223 a 243 would be nice. Can I get one?

4. Where do you guys get your AR parts.

5. Think I want an adjustable stock so PVT Tango can go hoggin with me maybe.

6. I want a good trigger what would that be?

I know the AR but then I don't know the ar all the same. What Tango you got me so confused. Well I know how to work on one as I was a unit armour for a while in the Army. I mean it's an AR a monkey with a wrench and screwdriver can take care of the thing. I think I know just about what Parts I would need. A lower and a parts kit, upper, barrel, gas tube, bolt and carrier, charging handle, hand guard, stock, pistol grip mags and ammo lots of ammo.
1. Any commercially available lower will be fine as long as it's not some cheap piece of pot metal crap from China or something. Forged receivers cost more, and they are "better" in the sense that they are not as fragile, but as far as accuracy, you will never see a difference in function as long as you use good parts.

2. & 3. - Building one would be better, especially if you are going to go wildcatt like the .243, but there are several companies that offer pre-built ones. The only thing to watch out for is Colt is known to have Large Pin sets ( .171 I think ). Most all other AR's have the small pins ( .153 or .153 ), so they are not compatible. Otherwise, you can mix and match uppers and lowers all day....

4. - Depends on what I am looking for. I do a lot of shopping on line, but Brownell's and Midway usually have what we need. Sometimes I will purchase specific parts for customers from Larue Tactical, but my favorite company on the semi cheap is Yankee Hill Machine. There stuff is top notch and it's not much more expensive than the rest of the stuff that is out there, it's just better.

5. - Magpul makes a sweet, rock solid, 6 position adajustable stock. It's a little more money they the other ones out there, but this one is a great piece of kit. CTR Carbine Stock, Commercial Version [MAG311] - $97.00 : ++ Magpul Industries ++

6. - Hands down. DO NOT let someone talk you into a Gieselle or other high priced trigger for your AR. Get the RRA 2-Stage Trigger. It's as good as gold. Slowrdy45 knows of a place that sells a knock oversion of the RRA that is just as good, but saves yuo like $30. What was that address Slo??

Good luck! PM if you get stuck!

JD

Old 12-07-2009, 11:18 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

From the prices I've been seeing, the complete rifle is starting to look like a deal

For instance:

a DPMS .243 20" heavy barrel MSRP = $299.95 (might be able to find a lower priced unit)

Lower Receiver - DPMS LR-308 Lower Receiver - STRIPPED = $350.00

DPMS . .308 Lower Parts Kit = $70.00

DPMS .308 A3 Flat Top Upper Assembled
MSRP Price: $209.95 Sale price = $165.00

DPMS .308 Bolt Carrier Assembly Chrome = $250.00
------------------------
for a grand total of $1134.95

Without any furniture, sights, etc. Thats coming from various vendors, with the best prices I could find today. So if you add in your stock, grips, forearm, sights, and anything else...I think you will be over the price of their complete rifle.

But then again, you won't have the satisfaction of building it, if you buy it complete. That's the thing with the .308 platform, the prices are still up there, in comparison to doing something in .556/.223. I'll keep looking to see if there is anything else available.

This site is pretty helpful, too: http://308ar.com/index.html

Slo

Last edited by slowryde45; 12-07-2009 at 11:21 PM.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:25 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

JD,

there are a couple place for triggers, I think the RRA knock-off you might be thinking of is from AR15sales.com http://ar15sa.fatcow.com/store/miscparts.html - also noted that his RRA triggers have gone up to $99, they used to be $88

Keep in mind that would be for an AR15, not an AR10. I'm still looking to see if Pete has anything for the .308 platform

SLo

Timney AR-10 Competition 4 lbs pull
$234.95: TTAR10C.

Last edited by slowryde45; 12-08-2009 at 12:00 AM. Reason: fixed link

Old 12-07-2009, 11:28 PM   #8

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

I don't need the satifaction of building just figured I could sneek it past the wife easier cause I could ship the parts to work (LOL shipping parts to an elementary school) Just don't open them there. Kind of hard to sneek a full sized ar past the wife in to the safe.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:33 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I don't need the satifaction of building just figured I could sneek it past the wife easier cause I could ship the parts to work (LOL shipping parts to an elementary school) Just don't open them there. Kind of hard to sneek a full sized ar past the wife in to the safe.
Its also alot easier to choke down at a few hundred bucks a whack than dropping 1K + at once

Old 12-07-2009, 11:45 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Here's a guy that does some excellent trigger work.

Bill Springfield Triggers. Bill Springfield - www.TriggerWork.net

And I agree, it's alot easier to sneek the parts in. I just got some parts that I ordered a month and a half ago, just showed up today

Heck, I ordered them when I was still EMPLOYED...so I guess I'll tell the wife that my Christmas gifts came early...and best part is, she didn't have to shop or spend $$'s for them.

As for the sneaking...that's what those two pins (takedown pins) are for. So you can sneak the upper and lower in separately

Slo