AR owners in LA
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR owners in LA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Default AR owners in LA

I really want to build my own AR. My concern is would I ever get to take it out of the safe. I've read the laws for a Calif. leagle AR, but have been told that the LAPD will confiscate anything they can even remotly call an assault weapon. The police know that charges will be dropped, but I won't ever see the rifle again. And even a dismissed weapons charge would screw me with my employment. Are there any AR owners in the LA area? Is what I am hearing about the PD and "grey area" guns correct. Are the sheriffs and PD at the ranges looking for ARs and AKs the way I have been told, or is that just bs from the gun store guys so I'll buy their off the rack guns?
JdP

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-02-2009, 08:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
I really want to build my own AR. My concern is would I ever get to take it out of the safe. I've read the laws for a Calif. leagle AR, but have been told that the LAPD will confiscate anything they can even remotly call an assault weapon. The police know that charges will be dropped, but I won't ever see the rifle again. And even a dismissed weapons charge would screw me with my employment. Are there any AR owners in the LA area? Is what I am hearing about the PD and "grey area" guns correct. Are the sheriffs and PD at the ranges looking for ARs and AKs the way I have been told, or is that just bs from the gun store guys so I'll buy their off the rack guns?
JdP
I would honestly contact a lawyer for the best answer for this scenario. Thats my opinion. But i honestly dont see how they can honestly keep you rifle if its built to cali's retarded laws.. But i think its just the gun shops way to scare you. As long you arent out in the streets with it,should be cool

Old 02-02-2009, 08:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
JdP
You may want to ask this question over on Calguns.net. Seems like there is a very active community of people with OLL based ARs over there, and as the name implies it's a California focused group.

Dave

Old 02-03-2009, 06:57 PM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Thanks for the imput guys. I checked the Cal Guns site and saw that they disagree as to the risk of a "grey area" gun. Some were saying it would be grabbed and others saying your fine to build with a mag lock. That being said I'm going ahead with the build. I found an OLL receiver yesterday and bought it. I am going to make this as "white bread" as a "grey area" gun can be. Few if any "evil features". Still I think it will be better than the "off the rack" gun I have on order. I'll let you know
JdP