Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   AR owners in LA (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar-owners-la-10518/)

Jo da Plumbr 02-02-2009 03:22 PM

AR owners in LA

I really want to build my own AR. My concern is would I ever get to take it out of the safe. I've read the laws for a Calif. leagle AR, but have been told that the LAPD will confiscate anything they can even remotly call an assault weapon. The police know that charges will be dropped, but I won't ever see the rifle again. And even a dismissed weapons charge would screw me with my employment. Are there any AR owners in the LA area? Is what I am hearing about the PD and "grey area" guns correct. Are the sheriffs and PD at the ranges looking for ARs and AKs the way I have been told, or is that just bs from the gun store guys so I'll buy their off the rack guns?
JdP

DonnyKC 02-02-2009 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr (Post 67633)
I really want to build my own AR. My concern is would I ever get to take it out of the safe. I've read the laws for a Calif. leagle AR, but have been told that the LAPD will confiscate anything they can even remotly call an assault weapon. The police know that charges will be dropped, but I won't ever see the rifle again. And even a dismissed weapons charge would screw me with my employment. Are there any AR owners in the LA area? Is what I am hearing about the PD and "grey area" guns correct. Are the sheriffs and PD at the ranges looking for ARs and AKs the way I have been told, or is that just bs from the gun store guys so I'll buy their off the rack guns?
JdP

I would honestly contact a lawyer for the best answer for this scenario. Thats my opinion. But i honestly dont see how they can honestly keep you rifle if its built to cali's retarded laws.. But i think its just the gun shops way to scare you. As long you arent out in the streets with it,should be cool

Cnynrat 02-02-2009 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr (Post 67633)
JdP

You may want to ask this question over on Calguns.net. Seems like there is a very active community of people with OLL based ARs over there, and as the name implies it's a California focused group.

Dave

Jo da Plumbr 02-03-2009 06:57 PM

Thanks for the imput guys. I checked the Cal Guns site and saw that they disagree as to the risk of a "grey area" gun. Some were saying it would be grabbed and others saying your fine to build with a mag lock. That being said I'm going ahead with the build. I found an OLL receiver yesterday and bought it. I am going to make this as "white bread" as a "grey area" gun can be. Few if any "evil features". Still I think it will be better than the "off the rack" gun I have on order. I'll let you know
JdP