AR optics

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR optics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AR optics

I'm looking to get a consensus about what a decent AR optic would be. I'll be doing bench rest and standing shooting primarily at the 100-200 yard range and the odd time at 500. I would prefer a moa reticle but mildot will do just fine. Can anyone give me some suggestions and base it on actual experience with the optic? Maybe tell me what optic you're using and what you like/dislike about it, why you chose it and maybe if you had to choose again why you wouldn't choose it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-07-2011, 09:23 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I use Eotech and Aimpoint due to the short distances I prefer to shoot (100yds or less). For 100-200 Id say a 1-4 magnified optic for combat accuracy. For bench rest Id imagine you'd want as high of a magnification as you could get.

Id like an ACOG would be nice for 100-200 as well. Again speaking about center mass hits on man sized targets. TA01NSN ACOG - Trijicon, Inc.

If interested you can look into a scope w/ bullet drop already figured into the reticle. Most Ive seen are dialed in for 62 grain ammunition.

Budget is also a big factor for me. I don't know about you. If not you're in for some fun. There are a metric crap ton of awesome optics out there.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

ive got a leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50mm LR/T M1. i dont use it on my ar15's but you could. its a decent scope i use it on my rem 700 xcr compact. its a very durable scope but i would go with a nightforce if i had to do over. slightly better glass full stop to stop click adjustment. the mark4 can be damaged by going full stop to stop so while it says it has x ammount of adjustment figure on roughly 10-15 clicks less each side for safety.

you might have better luck reposting in the optics forum.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-07-2011, 09:50 PM   #4

I could suggest a Bushnell Elite 3200 4x12. It only goes on mine to shoot tight groups or varmint hunting. Great scopes I have 2 I've never had a problem with.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:36 PM   #5

Take a look at Nikons M-223 scopes. They make several different models. None of them have the Mil-dot though. There is a BDC reticle offered. All of the M-223 scopes are designed for the 55gr bullet.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:08 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Since you are considering some 500 yd shooting you might want to lok into a high magnification scope. I'm personally using a Weaver Classic V24 6-24x42 mounted on a Burris P.E.P.R. one peice unit. It works great for all ranges

Old 02-10-2011, 12:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Marksman View Post
Since you are considering some 500 yd shooting you might want to lok into a high magnification scope. I'm personally using a Weaver Classic V24 6-24x42 mounted on a Burris P.E.P.R. one peice unit. It works great for all ranges
I love the wood on that AR. Quite possibly one of the sexiest AR's I've ever seen. Add that optic and hand guards, and you've got yourself quite the piece of work!

Old 02-10-2011, 12:59 AM   #8

That is a shweet looking AR.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:50 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage308 View Post
I love the wood on that AR. Quite possibly one of the sexiest AR's I've ever seen. Add that optic and hand guards, and you've got yourself quite the piece of work!
Thanks for the kind words, I actually have the matching walnut handguard but decided not to use it because I didn't want to lose the free floating YHM Diamond one I have on it.