AR noob Seeks opinion...S&W M&P??
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR noob Seeks opinion...S&W M&P??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3035 Times on 1517 Posts
Likes Given: 350

Default AR noob Seeks opinion...S&W M&P??

I was wandering through the LGS yesterday and I got to poking around the ARs. Long story short, I nearly walked out with a S&W M&P, not sure of the exact model number, but it was going for like $1030ish, not including a $100 rebate from S&W. It wasn't one of the super cheapies without a cover or fwd assist. IIRC it one of the Magpul joint effort models. This one if I'm not mistaken:
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_802553_-1_757785_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

SO anyway I was wondering, in general, it's been my experience the S&W generally makes good stuff. Do their ARs follow this trend or should I avoid them. If so, why?

FYI, I am looking for a ready to use off the rack model that doesn't require nursing through a tough teething period. I don't need exotic parts or to toss another grand at it to get it "right."
S&Ws will accept other branded uppers, right? If it's some weird proprietary setup, I'll pass. While I'm not into tinkering right now, I don't want to shut the door entirely.

NRA Life Member

How will we know it's time to gather up the pitchforks & torches and start assembling the guillotine on the DC mall?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-28-2012, 09:13 PM   #2

Liked 3736 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

from all accounts I have heard/read the S&W is good to go. A little high at $103 but with $100 back not bad considering the circumstance (elections coming up and all)

get it ... and join us on the Dark side, it's your density, er destiny ..... plus, we have cookies

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 07-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #3

Liked 1060 Times on 746 Posts
Likes Given: 1060

The M&P MOE is a good AR and its lower is compatible with other uppers. I build up an M&P lower and have fired BCM, Daniel Defense, ArmaLite and Bushmaster uppers on it. The DD lives on it now.

Myself, I'd throw in a little more and buy a BCM, it is that much better but again, S&W is good.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If they sell STAG where you are check me out, terrific infinite barrel warranty and solid upper and lower assembly with no wiggle what so ever and best priced with quality in my opinion. Mode 3 I have and model 4 upper rifle length love it.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Nothing wrong with the S&W offering. Yes, it will definitely accept other uppers and no, it's not proprietary.

I am immediately skeptical of any collaboration between a known company and a known entity of parts, but there is nothing "wrong" with this combination. Both companies have a solid reputation and have been doing this for a long enough time to forge real industry trust.

$1,030 isn't a bad price, and with $100 back that will cover the tax, at least in my area.

It's a good, name brand, reliable unit that will treat you right. Several of the parts are sought for in the aftermarket arena, so if you don't like them, you can always move them.

There are other options, building a lower and buying a tac designed upper, building a whole unit, shopping around, but for an immediate need, this unit will fit the bill.

Good luck and post a report if you get it.

JD

Old 08-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3035 Times on 1517 Posts
Likes Given: 350

Well, I ended up not getting the S&W. They went back order. Apparently ARs are getting really popular again So I ordered a Rock River. Seems like a lot of rifle for the money.
http://www.impactguns.com/rock-river-arms-operator-2-tactical-a2-carry-handle-bb2512.aspx
They are on hand, so I can just go get it when I get time, life has been a bit hectic lately.
When I get a chance, I'll post a range report. Earliest would be next week some time.
Got it after work:

NRA Life Member

How will we know it's time to gather up the pitchforks & torches and start assembling the guillotine on the DC mall?

Last edited by Overkill0084; 08-03-2012 at 04:02 AM.