Ar or no ar - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Ar or no ar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 133 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 23

For the money in your budget you can get a COLT 6920, some ammo and some training. Don't go cheap on the weapon if you have the money to spend. If you feel a need to build then look into BCM for an upper and I hear that PSA is having a sale on its lowers. And please for the love of GOD stay away from big box stores. Better yet check out G&R tactical.http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?display=home The owner is a first class guy.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction

EDUB

Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1158 Times on 813 Posts
Likes Given: 1180

Have you shot an AR? Go do that and you'll be hooked. Everyone needs an AR and an AK in the armory!

I put my two ARs together, actually assembled the stripped lowers and bought complete uppers. Your price range will get you a great rifle. DI over piston is a smart choice but there are many other specs to consider and you have to decide on them depending on what you want the rifle to do. BCM, Colt and Daniel Defense are excellent choices. Think B,C,D!
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 03-04-2012, 03:51 AM   #13

Yes I have shot one and being that I could handle the ak with ease the at was a slice'a pie. And I would really want it just to be really reliable and for the ever so infamous shtf scenario. But I also do want a fun shooter

Old 03-05-2012, 12:30 AM   #14

I wanted to thank all of you for your input and reassurance on the ar topic. I went ahead and took the first step to being an ar owner. I know it's not much but here are some pics of the receiver I purchased (spikes tactical), in the next month or so I'll be posting pics of a complete project. Thanks again.

Attachment 40697

Attachment 40698

Attachment 40700
dsc_0049.jpg   dsc_0045.jpg   dsc_0043.jpg  

Last edited by southernfirepower; 03-05-2012 at 01:18 AM.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:45 AM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Cool. Go over to the Spikes Tac forum and you can see the history of your new rollmark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-05-2012, 01:06 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1158 Times on 813 Posts
Likes Given: 1180

Nice start! You've got the necessary federal paperwork out of the way. Now everything can be shipped to your front door.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 03-05-2012, 01:20 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Nice start! You've got the necessary federal paperwork out of the way. Now everything can be shipped to your front door.
i know i found it so funny that the least deadly part of the rifle to be the one you need an ffl for haha. but yes no the fun will begin

Old 03-15-2012, 02:59 AM   #18

Well guys here is the lower. I went ahead and put in a dpms h2 double tungsten buffer with skills pec buffer tube. I opted for a fixed stock just incase I have to hit something with it lol jk. The internals are all dpms for now, I really like the crisp trigger and short reset. And as you can see I opted for pmags.... I got two more. Oh and the trigger guard is from magpul as well. And the grip o's from ergo.....anyone have any ideas on any good uppers? I was thinking a high polished bolt?

image-1524183951.jpg

Old 03-15-2012, 03:21 AM   #19

Liked 78 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Well, I know now who one of the folks were that bought the last of the uppers I was looking for!! ARGH. Looks good so far.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:09 AM   #20

Liked 339 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Nice looking build so far. But I do have one suggestion. Get a regular carbine buffer too. Just make sure you have one the first time out. H2 buffers are nice but may have an adverse affect on your timing and cycling. Wait a minute is that a rifle length buffer tube? Do you have a rifle length h2 buffer?

At what ranges do you plan to shoot with it?

Newest Threads