Ar or no ar
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Ar or no ar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ar or no ar

Hello ftf friends I've been looking into getting onto the ar platform for about a month now and I think I'm just about to make the jump now. I've been an ak owner for the last two years of my life and I absolutely love the platform but I want to try something different. Is the ar worth getting into? Basically I'm just afraid I will regret it. Ive done lots of research and am stumped. HELP!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-02-2012, 11:27 PM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Personally i like the AK platform but love the AR platform. I say go for the AR.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:28 PM   #3

Liked 769 Times on 445 Posts
Likes Given: 466

Hop on in the water is fine. Nothing to regret about an AR, lots of good info here to help you through the options and variations.

Help us out a bit, what do you plan to do, what's your budget, given any thought to building one versus buying off the shelf.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #4

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Don't do it......it so hard to stop.....someone get me off this crazy ride......

Old 03-02-2012, 11:39 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I wouldn't do it if you hate light, fast, smooth, accurate, and beautiful rifles. And don't forget comfortable, rugged, and reliable.

Edit: modular

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Last edited by mjkeat; 03-02-2012 at 11:42 PM.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:44 PM   #6

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

No arsenal is complete without an AR or two or three.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle
Hop on in the water is fine. Nothing to regret about an AR, lots of good info here to help you through the options and variations.

Help us out a bit, what do you plan to do, what's your budget, given any thought to building one versus buying off the shelf.
I'm looking to spend about 1200 to start off with and I think I'm leaning over to the di gas system vs piston. And I've been old if I build my own I can end up with a good quality ar for a few hundred less. What route would be better to buy, or build? And as far a brand how is rockriver?

Old 03-02-2012, 11:51 PM   #8

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Build would get you more bang for your buck.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:56 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Build it!!! They are a rediculously simple rifle to build. I built mine when the only real knowledge i had about ar's, was what they looked like . Here's a video i found the other night that might help with your selection process

http://youtu.be/hgcpR2QYBSY
Good luck and have fun, i know i did

"If guns kill people then does that mean the spoon is the reason Rosie O'Donnell is fat"

"Guns don't kill people.......People kill people"

Old 03-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #10

Liked 62 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 38

A build on an AR is nothing like the build on an AK, the build on an AR is more like an assembly type process.
If you are willing to build to save money you can just buy a lower & upper then put them together.
Here is a inexpensive complete lower to put your upper on.
http://www.usagunoutlet.com/Plum_Crazy_Firearms_C15_Complete_Lower_p/pcf-c15.htm
Here is a nice upper to put on this lower.
http://www.jsesurplus.com/custom16hbarmidlength1x9flattopuppercompletestanda rd-2-1.aspx
After buying these two parts, front and rear sights, or scope & rings, plus shipping & transfer fee, it should only set you back $550 to$600. I would call that a good entry level AR.
You may save a little more $$ by doing a complete build from parts but not much, and you won't have any warranty.

Last edited by 7.62 Man; 03-03-2012 at 03:10 PM.