AR misfeed
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR misfeed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default AR misfeed

I was wondering if you all can give me a little feedback.

I recently built my second AR. I purchased a Stag model 3 the first time and felt that I wanted to build the second. After a lengthy delay, I got it on Feb 26th.

Spikes tactical lower (zombie edition)
Amazon.com buffer and spring ( idk the brand, found it online and tried it in the stag and it worked well so I stuck with it)
DPMS lower parts kit (I know, its cheap)
rguns 5.56 1/8 twister barrel upper with a carbine moe handgrip. Bolt and carrier was included.

So I took the new gun out the day after I got it. I shot 20 rounds out of it and had it fail twice. The casing gets caught between the bolt and the chamber. Took it out again yesterday and the same thing happened but this time it was 4 out of 20 rounds. I am attributing this to a Tapco gen II mag. I used the same mag both times and the problem only happened with that one. Knowing that ammo is expensive right now, I even used a USGI for about 10 more shots and didn't have a problem at that time. I put the Tapco in my stag and experienced a different problem. The round would get caught on the front of the magazine and not allow the bolt to push it out of the magazine. I again (never ever having a failure for the 1000 + rounds or so that I have shot out of the stag) switched to the USGI and didn't have a problem.

Bringing the Tapco mag home and taking it apart, I noticed that the feeding lips are tapered but it seems normal for the tapco after comparison with pictures of other tapcos.

I am just wondering if anyone has any other pointers. I think I am on the right track but I am a new builder of AR's and admit that I have used some cheap parts in certain areas.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Mag for sure. The problem may improve after you've run a couple hundred rounds through it, but if the other gun is reliable and the mag causes issues in it then it is doubtful it will improve. Ditch the mag.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:39 AM   #3

I would try another mag and see if you have the same problems. A week ago I was experiencing the same problems with my AR and I found out the gas block was barely off the hole in the barrel. So it was short stroking and not ejecting and feeding properly. It was about the same 4-6 every 20 rounds. The problem was that I was running a stock drop in hand guard with a aftermarket gas block that was designed to go with a free float hand guard. Once I replaced the hand guard with a free float and allowed that gas block to come back and line up with the hole, it shoots perfectly now. I hope that helps

Old 03-21-2013, 01:00 AM   #4

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Just like mountain man said . Pitch it in the trash and take that as a lesson learned . I have pitched so many junk crap 20 rounders that i paid $4 for . Lesson learned

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 03-21-2013, 09:16 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

well, I wont pitch it. I actually wrote a letter to tapco and told them I would like to use the manufactures warranty and return it so we can see how that goes. I took the mag apart and it almost looks as though the one lip is tapered.

image-2-.jpg  

Old 03-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So an update on my tapco mag problem. I emailed tapco and after a few emails, they agreed to exchange my mag and even send me another complementary one along with it. I also got an email from their R and D department asking me to continue giving them feedback once I get the new mags to make sure the problem is fixed. It's good to hear that my concerns are validated and they are standing behind their product.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1177 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 706

thats great. hopefully, the new mags work.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.