AR maintenance.. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR maintenance..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2011, 01:37 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
You shoot that much without cleaning? BLASPHEMY!!! Kidding, lol, your gun your choice.
Buy quality and rest assured

There's so much BS surrounding this issue. Kinda like the BS surrounding steel ammo.

Like Q said nobody has mentioned lube. I personally like to talk about lube. It makes me feel kinda dirty. Lube your sh*t and you'll be GTG.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 12-19-2011, 01:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
Wolf uses a corrosive powder
It's not the powder that in some of the foreign ammo that's corrosive, it's the primers they use, and Wolf uses non corrosive primers, so no worries there.

Quote:
and uses a steel case which is laquer coated,some of the laquer can come off and end up in your bolt carrier and eventually gum it up
Steel used to be lacquer coated, but it isn't any more, it's polymer coated. The only ammo I know of that's still lacquer coated is Brown Bear. The problem isn't with lacquer getting into the BCG, it supposedly builds up in the chamber.

The only time I've ever seen it present a problem is when you load a round in a HOT chamber that has had quite a few lacquer coated rounds through it, then leave the round in there until the chamber cools off. This causes the lacquer to somewhat soften, the re-harden and adhere to the chamber wall, thus causing a problem.

I personally shoot Wolf, and have no worries about it having any negative effects on my rifle. It's a good cheap ammo to use for training and plinking purposes, but I wouldn't recommend using it for self defense.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 12-19-2011, 12:53 PM   #13

Id recommend cleaning after each use, helps reliability, accuracy in the long run, resale value if you keep it nice looking, etc. If your on a time schedule just take it home, while your watching tv that night clean it.

Be safe...

Old 12-19-2011, 04:49 PM   #14

Liked 980 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 983

I'm also a fan of Wolf and other steel case, you can't beat it for practice. After 500 rounds and only lubrication, no cleaning, I did have a failure to extract with my Daniel Defense AR. Kinda sad, I thought I'd get more, like MJ has with his DD but that goes to show nothing is identical. Since then I read at M4C forums that DD has had issues with some extractors so I replaced the extractor, spring and insert with BCM's and am now around 600rds. But the chamber is pretty cruddy now, I may get out the chamber brush one of these days...

Anyway, I think people do more damage by over vigorous cleaning than not enough cleaning.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.