Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   AR maintenance.. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar-maintenance-53792/)

okdonk 12-18-2011 07:49 PM

AR maintenance..

Good day friends..
I just bought a DD M4V2 which ill be picking it up at my local FFL next week, hopefully.
A newbie question, hope don't mind me asking.
How often should i clean an AR15? Every 1, 2 or 3k rounds? I ordered 1k rounds of wolf 223 ammos from luckygunner.com.
Quite cheap and good reviews eventhough made in Russia.
Thank you for inputs.. appreciate it.

jjfuller1 12-18-2011 08:51 PM

personally i clean mine after every firing, regardless if its 10 rounds or 300. at the end of the day its cleaned before getting put away. and also every couple of weeks it gets a wipe down/oiling. the dirt and gunk in an ar can build up fast sometimes. and i just like it to be clean and ready to go... there are some pople that have not cleaned one for thouasands of rounds just to see how they stand up. but thats not for me

Quentin 12-18-2011 10:29 PM

It's up to you. This last year I've been lazy about thorough cleaning but my firearms keep working. If it absolutely must work next time then of course check it out.

We haven't said anything about lubrication yet!

trip286 12-18-2011 11:29 PM

I'm with jjfuller. I clean mine every time I shoot, and I clean it thoroughly.

The only time they get just a wipe down is when they've been carried or stored and not fired.

My carry gets wiped down every day (about 2 seconds with a lightly oily rag), my rifle gets a quickie wipe down once a week.

okdonk 12-18-2011 11:41 PM

Thank u guys for the inputs. Will have much more to learn from u all ;)

mjkeat 12-19-2011 12:39 AM

I'm not one to clean mine very often.

2 reasons:

1. I really don't have to much attachment (they're simply tools) to my ARs though I think they are the sexiest looking firearm other than a Colt 1873 w/ a little patina.

2. Curiosity. I want to see how much I can get away w/. So far so good running a combo of steel and brass ammo.

MrWray 12-19-2011 01:15 AM

If your using wolf ammo you will need to give it more TLC than with a good brass cased ammo. Wolf uses a corrosive powder and uses a steel case which is laquer coated,some of the laquer can come off and end up in your bolt carrier and eventually gum it up. I would use wolf to plink with if i had it,just BE SURE to thoroughly clean her after every time you shoot the wolf through it.

mjkeat 12-19-2011 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrWray (Post 655172)
If your using wolf ammo you will need to give it more TLC than with a good brass cased ammo. Wolf uses a corrosive powder and uses a steel case which is laquer coated,some of the laquer can come off and end up in your bolt carrier and eventually gum it up. I would use wolf to plink with if i had it,just BE SURE to thoroughly clean her after every time you shoot the wolf through it.

Not true. I can personally attest to it. I am around 2k and have yet to clean. Hell I've even ran a mixture of brass and steel in the same range trip w/o any problems.

trip286 12-19-2011 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjkeat

Not true. I can personally attest to it. I am around 2k and have yet to clean. Hell I've even ran a mixture of brass and steel in the same range trip w/o any problems.

You shoot that much without cleaning? BLASPHEMY!!! Kidding, lol, your gun your choice.

okdonk 12-19-2011 01:32 AM

As everyone suggested. Of course i will clean it after use. Just like my glock 19, i field strip it completely and give a detail clean each time after use.