AR mags - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

AR mags

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 10:44 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1241 Times on 862 Posts
Likes Given: 1292

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
pmags seems to be amoung the best poly.....

who makes the best steel mags?
HK for steel but way too heavy and too expensive. If you mean aluminum then there are many great GI mags. Hard to beat Colt.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 03-28-2012, 11:05 PM   #12

Liked 229 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I mostly buy 30rd GI and PMAGs, from $10-15 usually and have stocked up over the years. I also have about ten 20rd mags too since they are handy for prone/bench without a bipod and I like the retro look of the GI version.

If you really, really want cheap, I've had good luck with the Thermold/Master Molder 20rd mags you often see for $4. Great range mags but I've heard bad things about their 10 and 30rd versions. The 20s work well and I can't remember a bad review. I've seen them for that price at CDNN, Cheaper Than Dirt and even my local Sportsman's Warehouse.
Ya I wasn't talking that cheap ($4), I wouldn't assume the quality on those to be very high, lol. Below is the link to the ones I'm looking at. They have a CS spring only bad thing I can see is they don't have no tilt followers but I could put some in if it is a problem. They seem to get good reviews.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=21225/Product/AR-15-M16-20-30-ROUND-MAGAZINES

Old 03-28-2012, 11:19 PM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
i could use some advice regarding mags as well. just got my first AR, and i am green to say the least.

why are the polymer considered bad? is a polymer pmag considered bad?

any advice on the best mag at the best price would be appreciated. but i normally don't buy a ton of mags, i just want them to work flawlessly. so function is more important than cheap when it comes to mags imo.

any advice appreciated.
They aren't by those who know what they are talking about.

One of the best magazines available is the PMag. Go to www.m4carbine.net and browse their AR picture thread.

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-28-2012, 11:24 PM   #14

Liked 32 Times on 18 Posts

brownells mags are great. no problems here after thousands of rounds through them. $10/each is a steal. I think I paid around double that and they were worth every penny

Old 03-29-2012, 01:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy00 View Post
brownells mags are great. no problems here after thousands of rounds through them. $10/each is a steal. I think I paid around double that and they were worth every penny
Good to know. A gun dealer my buddy deals with told him the same thing, he said if you can get them for 10 bucks order them. I put my order in today and they shipped out within a couple hours, so far so good, it's my first time buying anything through Brownells

Old 03-29-2012, 02:23 AM   #16

Liked 3261 Times on 1948 Posts
Likes Given: 2365

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
They aren't by those who know what they are talking about.

One of the best magazines available is the PMag. Go to www.m4carbine.net and browse their AR picture thread.
yeah, after i looked up pmags at midway, i noticed they have like 100+ reviews and an almost perfect 5 star rating by customers.

still wouldn't mind having some aluminum/steel ones. why not?

Old 03-29-2012, 02:30 AM   #17

Liked 3740 Times on 1828 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

for poly mags the Pmags are very good, one drawback is that the rounds can pop out when the mag is dropped or banged around. The plastic lips just don't have the rigidity to keep the rounds in. As for metal - aluminum is the way to go, steel are just too damned heavy when compared.

One thing about mag shopping is never be content - one day you will see mags for $20, the next day the same mag may be $10. Always keep shopping and aquiring, this way in a year or two you will have the appropriate amount of mags ..... more

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 03-29-2012, 04:00 AM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
yeah, after i looked up pmags at midway, i noticed they have like 100+ reviews and an almost perfect 5 star rating by customers.

still wouldn't mind having some aluminum/steel ones. why not?
I have both but the aluminum mags have Magpul internals.

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-29-2012, 04:27 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I have both but the aluminum mags have Magpul internals.
I think this is what I will do with mine

Old 03-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8205 Times on 4480 Posts
Likes Given: 7976

I've used Colt and MilSurp "Adventure Line" for over 30 years without a single complaint.

When I bought my first AR-15, A Colt SP-1 I traded some an old scope for about a bushel basket of mags, all used, and none have ever failed me.

About ten years ago, I upgraded half of them to the green followers, but that's all I've ever done to them. (BTW, I keep them clean!)

I'm totally sold on Colt and Milsurp. That's not to say there's anything wrong with the others, but I don't have personal experience with them, so can't comment.