Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR mags

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Default AR mags

I'm starting my first AR build and have been looking around for magazines, I want to get some 20 or 30 rounders before theres another ban and the prices skyrocket, can you guys give me advice on what ones are good at a decent price? I was planing on staying away from the polymer. So far I have found some made by Brownells for $10 each, can anyone tell me if these are good mags? These are cheapest I have found so far. Also what do you guys prefer, 20 or 30? 30s stick out farther so Im not sure if I'd like that. Thanks.

Last edited by blucoondawg; 03-28-2012 at 04:17 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

$10 is a good price if they are decent mags. Most shops have mil-surp in stock. All of mine are military so I can't be of much more help.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

They stick out further? Are you shooting from a bipod?

DSG has good mags.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-28-2012, 06:32 PM   #4

Liked 209 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I personnaly prefer the 30's myself-they don't stick out that much. I only fill them with 20 rounds, as I prefer not to max the capacity on them. Polymers have been maligned a lot lately, and that isn't fair as many of them are quite good. It is about the only DPMS product I will attest to regarding quality. Had one for several years and a lot of rounds with nary a hiccup.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 03-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #5

Liked 941 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 931

I mostly buy 30rd GI and PMAGs, from $10-15 usually and have stocked up over the years. I also have about ten 20rd mags too since they are handy for prone/bench without a bipod and I like the retro look of the GI version.

If you really, really want cheap, I've had good luck with the Thermold/Master Molder 20rd mags you often see for $4. Great range mags but I've heard bad things about their 10 and 30rd versions. The 20s work well and I can't remember a bad review. I've seen them for that price at CDNN, Cheaper Than Dirt and even my local Sportsman's Warehouse.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:43 PM   #6

Liked 1116 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1990

I mainly use 30s but when I use my bipod I like to use a 20 rd especially if your shooting on a decline the mag does hit and gets in the way . for that reason I keep 4- 20 rd mags loaded in the case

Old 03-28-2012, 09:44 PM   #7

Liked 2358 Times on 1376 Posts
Likes Given: 1500

i could use some advice regarding mags as well. just got my first AR, and i am green to say the least.

why are the polymer considered bad? is a polymer pmag considered bad?

any advice on the best mag at the best price would be appreciated. but i normally don't buy a ton of mags, i just want them to work flawlessly. so function is more important than cheap when it comes to mags imo.

any advice appreciated.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:53 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

http://www.44mag.com/category/cproducts

I ordered some of the Cproducts mags for my nephew that he has been happy with. I bleve i ordered the twenty rounders with yellow followers. That place shipped pretty fast.

A shooting buddy of mine with an AR LOVES this polymer mag he has with a clear window; i think it is a Pmag.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:23 PM   #9

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
i could use some advice regarding mags as well. just got my first AR, and i am green to say the least.

why are the polymer considered bad? is a polymer pmag considered bad?

any advice on the best mag at the best price would be appreciated. but i normally don't buy a ton of mags, i just want them to work flawlessly. so function is more important than cheap when it comes to mags imo.

any advice appreciated.
Really, it depends a lot on what you're using it for. If you're going to be out in the woods banging in trees and such, you want something that isn't going to crack, and if you crack steel, I'm taking over as your manager and putting you in MMA.
Poly are reliable (as long as you order from reliable vendors, like Magpul).
Listen to Quentin, Dog, Mjkeat and AgentTikki on the issue of mags and other important facts on here. They can inform you of other folks who know what they are doing with it.
Depends, though, on what you're wanting it for. SFTF and range time are entirely different areas, and could require something entirely different.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 03-28-2012, 10:41 PM   #10

Liked 2358 Times on 1376 Posts
Likes Given: 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
Really, it depends a lot on what you're using it for. If you're going to be out in the woods banging in trees and such, you want something that isn't going to crack, and if you crack steel, I'm taking over as your manager and putting you in MMA.
Poly are reliable (as long as you order from reliable vendors, like Magpul).
Listen to Quentin, Dog, Mjkeat and AgentTikki on the issue of mags and other important facts on here. They can inform you of other folks who know what they are doing with it.
Depends, though, on what you're wanting it for. SFTF and range time are entirely different areas, and could require something entirely different.
pmags seems to be amoung the best poly.....

who makes the best steel mags?