Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   AR mags (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar-mags-61302/)

blucoondawg 03-28-2012 05:14 PM

AR mags

I'm starting my first AR build and have been looking around for magazines, I want to get some 20 or 30 rounders before theres another ban and the prices skyrocket, can you guys give me advice on what ones are good at a decent price? I was planing on staying away from the polymer. So far I have found some made by Brownells for $10 each, can anyone tell me if these are good mags? These are cheapest I have found so far. Also what do you guys prefer, 20 or 30? 30s stick out farther so Im not sure if I'd like that. Thanks.

mountainman13 03-28-2012 05:24 PM

$10 is a good price if they are decent mags. Most shops have mil-surp in stock. All of mine are military so I can't be of much more help.

mjkeat 03-28-2012 07:13 PM

They stick out further? Are you shooting from a bipod?

DSG has good mags.

fsted2a 03-28-2012 07:32 PM

I personnaly prefer the 30's myself-they don't stick out that much. I only fill them with 20 rounds, as I prefer not to max the capacity on them. Polymers have been maligned a lot lately, and that isn't fair as many of them are quite good. It is about the only DPMS product I will attest to regarding quality. Had one for several years and a lot of rounds with nary a hiccup.

Quentin 03-28-2012 08:38 PM

I mostly buy 30rd GI and PMAGs, from $10-15 usually and have stocked up over the years. I also have about ten 20rd mags too since they are handy for prone/bench without a bipod and I like the retro look of the GI version.

If you really, really want cheap, I've had good luck with the Thermold/Master Molder 20rd mags you often see for $4. Great range mags but I've heard bad things about their 10 and 30rd versions. The 20s work well and I can't remember a bad review. I've seen them for that price at CDNN, Cheaper Than Dirt and even my local Sportsman's Warehouse.

purehavoc 03-28-2012 08:43 PM

I mainly use 30s but when I use my bipod I like to use a 20 rd especially if your shooting on a decline the mag does hit and gets in the way . for that reason I keep 4- 20 rd mags loaded in the case

hawkguy 03-28-2012 10:44 PM

i could use some advice regarding mags as well. just got my first AR, and i am green to say the least.

why are the polymer considered bad? is a polymer pmag considered bad?

any advice on the best mag at the best price would be appreciated. but i normally don't buy a ton of mags, i just want them to work flawlessly. so function is more important than cheap when it comes to mags imo.

any advice appreciated.

orangello 03-28-2012 10:53 PM

http://www.44mag.com/category/cproducts

I ordered some of the Cproducts mags for my nephew that he has been happy with. I bleve i ordered the twenty rounders with yellow followers. That place shipped pretty fast.

A shooting buddy of mine with an AR LOVES this polymer mag he has with a clear window; i think it is a Pmag.

BenLuby 03-28-2012 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkguy (Post 754984)
i could use some advice regarding mags as well. just got my first AR, and i am green to say the least.

why are the polymer considered bad? is a polymer pmag considered bad?

any advice on the best mag at the best price would be appreciated. but i normally don't buy a ton of mags, i just want them to work flawlessly. so function is more important than cheap when it comes to mags imo.

any advice appreciated.

Really, it depends a lot on what you're using it for. If you're going to be out in the woods banging in trees and such, you want something that isn't going to crack, and if you crack steel, I'm taking over as your manager and putting you in MMA.
Poly are reliable (as long as you order from reliable vendors, like Magpul).
Listen to Quentin, Dog, Mjkeat and AgentTikki on the issue of mags and other important facts on here. They can inform you of other folks who know what they are doing with it.
Depends, though, on what you're wanting it for. SFTF and range time are entirely different areas, and could require something entirely different.

hawkguy 03-28-2012 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenLuby (Post 755018)
Really, it depends a lot on what you're using it for. If you're going to be out in the woods banging in trees and such, you want something that isn't going to crack, and if you crack steel, I'm taking over as your manager and putting you in MMA.
Poly are reliable (as long as you order from reliable vendors, like Magpul).
Listen to Quentin, Dog, Mjkeat and AgentTikki on the issue of mags and other important facts on here. They can inform you of other folks who know what they are doing with it.
Depends, though, on what you're wanting it for. SFTF and range time are entirely different areas, and could require something entirely different.

pmags seems to be amoung the best poly.....

who makes the best steel mags?