Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   AR/M4 in 7.62x39mm? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar-m4-7-62x39mm-57567/)

fatmidgets 02-12-2012 09:10 PM

AR/M4 in 7.62x39mm?

I like the idea, and the caliber but I'm having trouble finding manufactures. Any manufactures with links to the website, or even comments on the weapon is much appreciated. Also, I'd like to stay within the $1000-1500 range.

mjkeat 02-12-2012 09:40 PM

Why are you wanting an AR in x39? I'll wait for a responce before I get to much into my opinion.

The reason you won't find many people making x39 ARs is because they are troublesome.

I had one that worked well but it took some work and special ordering of parts as well as sending stuff back and forth to multiple suppliers.

fatmidgets 02-12-2012 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjkeat
Why are you wanting an AR in x39? I'll wait for a responce before I get to much into my opinion.

The reason you won't find many people making x39 ARs is because they are troublesome.

I had one that worked well but it took some work and special ordering of parts as well as sending stuff back and forth to multiple suppliers.

I thought an AR in the x39 caliber would be a very versatile weapon for hunting/defense/target shooting. Ammo is cheap, and the ballistics are pretty good for a short-medium(50-200 maybe 300 yards) range weapon. Also I just thought it was cool, because I like the caliber, and the AR platform is more accurate than the AK. Also, I don't really care to own the 5.56x45 caliber. I already have a remington model 700 in .223.

dickpalmer 02-12-2012 10:21 PM

Ditto on troublesome. I tried that route, but couldn't get through a mag. without a problem.

mjkeat 02-12-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmidgets (Post 706567)
I thought an AR in the x39 caliber would be a very versatile weapon for hunting/defense/target shooting. Ammo is cheap, and the ballistics are pretty good for a short-medium(50-200 maybe 300 yards) range weapon. Also I just thought it was cool, because I like the caliber, and the AR platform is more accurate than the AK. Also, I don't really care to own the 5.56x45 caliber. I already have a remington model 700 in .223.

x39 is not an ideal round for SD as compared to others. Bullet tech is low while rounds like the 5.56 and .308 has some great options. I wouldn't trust a x39 AR for defense even though I had one that eventually worked well. Recoils is harsh compared to more reliable options which will effect follow up shots.

If you want a x39 look into the .300 Black Out. Is has similar/better ballistics w/ a better range of projectiles. You'll be looking at a minimum of $130 per 200 shipped for ammo but it's well worth it (cheaper than x39 factory brass). It has proven to be very reliable out of the AR and the only part that is proprietary is the barrel. All other parts required are simply 5.56.

Look into 5.56 if cost is an issue like it is for me. It's reliable and ammo can be as low as $3-$4 per 20 or $189 per 1k. They also have some great defense ammo.

If you do decide to go x39 contact Performance.com and ask about a 16" midlength gas system w/ their Super Bolt.

mjkeat 02-12-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dickpalmer (Post 706575)
Ditto on troublesome. I tried that route, but couldn't get through a mag. without a problem.

I was able to get some good mags but it took some time at USPS.

fatmidgets 02-12-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjkeat

x39 is not an ideal round for SD as compared to others. Bullet tech is low while rounds like the 5.56 and .308 has some great options. I wouldn't trust a x39 AR for defense even though I had one that eventually worked well. Recoils is harsh compared to more reliable options which will effect follow up shots.

If you want a x39 look into the .300 Black Out. Is has similar/better ballistics w/ a better range of projectiles. You'll be looking at a minimum of $130 per 200 shipped for ammo but it's well worth it (cheaper than x39 factory brass). It has proven to be very reliable out of the AR and the only part that is proprietary is the barrel. All other parts required are simply 5.56.

Look into 5.56 if cost is an issue like it is for me. It's reliable and ammo can be as low as $3-$4 per 20 or $189 per 1k. They also have some great defense ammo.

If you do decide to go x39 contact Performance.com and ask about a 16" midlength gas system w/ their Super Bolt.

So should I'll probably just spring for the .308 then.

mjkeat 02-12-2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmidgets (Post 706595)
So should I'll probably just spring for the .308 then.

Recoil is going to be heavier and the rifle itself will cost more. For 300 yards and in take a serious look at 300 BLK. Bill(?) Wilson has posted some hunting pictures ranging from deer to decent sized feral hogs. It has a good following and ammo for most applications and they keep developing more.

I have been happy w/ mine as ammo has become more available. It shoots soft, smooth, and sends that big .308 down range w/o interruption.

Check out AAC's website.