AR lube question

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR lube question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 356 Times on 203 Posts

Default AR lube question

Question...I saw an AR yesterday that had enough Frog Lube paste on the bolt carrier group to float a battleship. It was literally smeared in it. Is that normal? I was told, by said guy, you can't use too much. I've never seen that before.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-17-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 361 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 645

Frog Lube is not meant to be caked on. If the directions are followed correctly you won't really notice it's even on or in the metal.

Owner/Armorer at Argyle Armoring, LLC - FFL 07
NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:11 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2493 Times on 1745 Posts
Likes Given: 1278

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy36 View Post
Question...I saw an AR yesterday that had enough Frog Lube paste on the bolt carrier group to float a battleship. It was literally smeared in it. Is that normal? I was told, by said guy, you can't use too much. I've never seen that before.
Me neither. I wonder what it would look like when the chamber fouls up. If it doesn't gum up the action, I have yet to hear that from someone.

Modern ARs rarely suffer from being too dry. Some people are still overreacting to what happened in the 60's.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:44 PM   #4

Liked 181 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 129

I put a small amount of oil on my bolt and bolt carrier before I go shooting and I have yet to have a problem. When you have oil hitting you in the face while shooting you have way to much oil on your gun. I have seen it happen.

I have just taken a CLP soaked cloth and wiped the bolt and carrier down before shooting and didn't have any issues that way either. I think people use too much oil on their AR's when it isn't necessary.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:54 PM   #5

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

I use frog lube on all of my guns atm(assorted pistols, ar platform, and a long gun) and have had 0 problems.

Taken I don't run anywhere near enough of it to "look gunky". As the web site(and ,if I remember right, the instructions on the packages) I have "cooked" all to be lubricated pieces with a heat gun after thoroughly cleaning them with rubbing alcohol, and then applying Frog Lube and letting it set in, for at least 3-4 coats. Then Just wipe it off with a clean cloth once cooled down.

On my pistol I have run about 800 rounds through it and only wiped it down after shooting. Even with none visible it still "extrudes" (sweats) from all metal surfaces when hot.

No clue at all why someone would just apply a whole bunch to it. Unless maybe they were actually applying it before it got hot and then Firing it to warm it up?

Bad guess, but I try not to call someone stupid unless I give them at least one chance to correct themselves lol. Of course though. We all say the wrong thing sometimes lol.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:14 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by activereality View Post
I use frog lube on all of my guns atm(assorted pistols, ar platform, and a long gun) and have had 0 problems.

Taken I don't run anywhere near enough of it to "look gunky". As the web site(and ,if I remember right, the instructions on the packages) I have "cooked" all to be lubricated pieces with a heat gun after thoroughly cleaning them with rubbing alcohol, and then applying Frog Lube and letting it set in, for at least 3-4 coats. Then Just wipe it off with a clean cloth once cooled down.

On my pistol I have run about 800 rounds through it and only wiped it down after shooting. Even with none visible it still "extrudes" (sweats) from all metal surfaces when hot.

No clue at all why someone would just apply a whole bunch to it. Unless maybe they were actually applying it before it got hot and then Firing it to warm it up?

Bad guess, but I try not to call someone stupid unless I give them at least one chance to correct themselves lol. Of course though. We all say the wrong thing sometimes lol.
Sometimes it begins with roughly fitting parts resulting in hangups. What you do you throw grease at the problem.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator
Sometimes it begins with roughly fitting parts resulting in hangups. What you do you throw grease at the problem.
Frog Lube is a dry lubricant. It is not meant to be layered on thick. I'm sure it doesn't hurt anything. But it also doesn't help. As it doesn't start to actively lubricate until after it hears up, at which point the lubricant extrudes from all of the metal surfaces. This lube is to be used prior to firing the gun. Not applied while doing it. Not that it might not work, but I trust scrubbing it in more than letting it sink in on its own.

The "correct"( per the manufacturer) way to use Frog Lube is to heat up the surfaces and then scrub Frog lube in. Putting a bunch on the action will just cause it to fly off and waste the lube until the metal heats up enough to "melt" the lube, while the gun is in use.

Just seems(again going by the manufacturers instructions and how this lube was made to work) that putting a bunch on and firing is a waste and accomplishes nothing.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong. Lol.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:58 PM   #8

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I used to use frog lube. I sang it's praises for a very short time.

I followed the directions, but I don't think I wiped off enough excess. It's the ONLY time my 1911 had problems. Trouble returning to battery.

Because of that, I steer clear of it. I'm not going to use a lube that can make my carry gun fail if I screw up the application.

I will say, it smells DAMN nice, an AR may not have the same problems with excess as I had with my 1911, and once you put that shyt on your gun, NOTHING sticks to it. Cleaning becomes such a damn breeze it almost takes the fun out of it. I mean... NOTHING... Will stick to your gun. You can wipe it down with a rag and knock out all the carbon residue, brass shavings, and copper fouling.

But if you use it and then switch to ballistol, it comes out in a green ooze.... even after you'd thought you already got it all off.

Oh, and my gun rusted pretty well while I used it. Looking back at their website after another member pointed it out to me, frog lube does not claim to be a rust preventative.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:57 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by activereality View Post
Frog Lube is a dry lubricant. It is not meant to be layered on thick. I'm sure it doesn't hurt anything. But it also doesn't help. As it doesn't start to actively lubricate until after it hears up, at which point the lubricant extrudes from all of the metal surfaces. This lube is to be used prior to firing the gun. Not applied while doing it. Not that it might not work, but I trust scrubbing it in more than letting it sink in on its own.

The "correct"( per the manufacturer) way to use Frog Lube is to heat up the surfaces and then scrub Frog lube in. Putting a bunch on the action will just cause it to fly off and waste the lube until the metal heats up enough to "melt" the lube, while the gun is in use.

Just seems(again going by the manufacturers instructions and how this lube was made to work) that putting a bunch on and firing is a waste and accomplishes nothing.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong. Lol.
no you're right. Either the rifle or the owner needs help

Old 11-18-2013, 01:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
I used to use frog lube. I sang it's praises for a very short time. I followed the directions, but I don't think I wiped off enough excess. It's the ONLY time my 1911 had problems. Trouble returning to battery. Because of that, I steer clear of it. I'm not going to use a lube that can make my carry gun fail if I screw up the application. I will say, it smells DAMN nice, an AR may not have the same problems with excess as I had with my 1911, and once you put that shyt on your gun, NOTHING sticks to it. Cleaning becomes such a damn breeze it almost takes the fun out of it. I mean... NOTHING... Will stick to your gun. You can wipe it down with a rag and knock out all the carbon residue, brass shavings, and copper fouling. But if you use it and then switch to ballistol, it comes out in a green ooze.... even after you'd thought you already got it all off. Oh, and my gun rusted pretty well while I used it. Looking back at their website after another member pointed it out to me, frog lube does not claim to be a rust preventative.
Hmm I haven't had any problems with rust in mine. I live in OK. I only "clean" it by rubbing off the barrel and slide with a micro-fiber cloth.

I'll have to watch out for that. My AR I have run for awhile without re-applying anything and it has been in the rain a few times- again just with a quick wipe own.

Thanks for the heads up.