Ar lower build....important notes to stupid - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Ar lower build....important notes to stupid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2010, 06:27 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagj17 View Post
haha, I did that with my dad's recently competed lower, except I launched the bolt retainer( because the Receiver extension for the carbine stock had an extended lip to make life easier). Couldn't find the retainer piece... cause the cat had it in his mouth... dropped it next to the lower for me though!
Cool, I have never heard of a retreiving cat.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 08-16-2010, 02:10 AM   #12

Default "stupid" reporting back in

I can see that by the replies I am not dealing with anal retentive perfectionist....that is a good thing and comforting to know that I am in good company. I like the dry cleaning bag tip!.....must be an experienced veteran. I will post a pic WHEN I HAVE IT COMPLETED...no premature ejaculation here! I must report that I am finally shooitng at an acceptable level (with a scope). I worked up a load for my bargain bin cmmg for $650 1-7" 16" midlength using a sierra 69 gr hpbt with 23.3 grains of ramshot tac. Man that was great...I zeroed at 50 with 55 grain federals and at 100 I was 3" high @ 200(3" group) I was dead on and at 300 I was 3" low and had a 5 shot group that would be covered with a paper plate with room to spare!....good for me but maybe not as good as the rest of you shooters. I am hoping that my build will produce better results. I am suggesting that it might be a prudent thing to buy an extra lower or 2 to get ahead of any bans that might come about as a result of the zealots in D.C.....500 rounds of ammo should also be the self imposed minimum limit of acceptability to keep on hand......Just another one of those irrelevant, unsophisticated morons clinging to my guns and religion. Peace out and remember "Arms are for hugging"!

Old 10-03-2010, 03:23 AM   #13

Default just a lower.....I'm no longer a virgin

I finished awhile back and here is a pic. Standby for more excitement when I try to do the upper......this should be good!

015.jpg  

NRA Member
Sustaining Member Southern Poverty Law Center
"Lighten Up Francis"
Semper gero sub gero

Old 10-03-2010, 03:37 AM   #14

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Looking good, Plink.

The upper is a breeze, but you should have the vice blocks and a torque wrench.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 02-09-2011, 02:49 AM   #15

Default Another misadventure

This is a receiver extension tube, please note the following:

They come in two sizes, "Milspec" and "Commercial". When you are buying pieces and parts during your slow build you might want to retain your receipts so you know what the hell you have and what the heck you paid for the various components. Needless to say, I forgot and hid the receipts somewhere that I could not find and my wife could not discover. I know,.... I'll just take my completed lower to the gun show and try out both the commerical and milspec stocks to insure a perfect fit of the Magpul MOE I intended to purchase. I handed my lower to the expert salesman who could not make either sizes fit and the next thing I know he is unscrewing the RECEIVER EXTENSION TUBE which resulted in the second launch(of this project) of the take down spring/detent into and amongst the throng of gun enthusiasts. I was less than amused and this peaked the interest of the other two saleman behind the table who then began their own quests to attach the stock to the now liberated extension tube. Their attempts were unsuccessful and they claimed that they really wished that they had a vice for some unknown reason. As fate would have it, they happened to have both a new extension tube and a spring/detent to install. After another episode of the 3 stooges I was able to embrace my lower, complete with MOE, another spring/detent and different new extension tube that had just a little more shine......mat, flat or shiny, I didn't give a dang at that point. The stock fit well and I considered it a victory to get out of that place with a lower that remained functional.

Moral of the story: Remember what size extension tube that you purchased so that you can order the proper stock. Building an AR-15 has been easy to this point, it's just the stupid things you do that complicates matters. Stay tuned.

rcv-ext-tube.jpg  

NRA Member
"Lighten Up Francis"
Semper gero sub gero

Old 02-09-2011, 02:56 AM   #16

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by 556plinker View Post
Moral of the story: Remember what size extension tube that you purchased so that you can order the proper stock. Building an AR-15 has been easy to this point, it's just the stupid things you do that complicates matters. Stay tuned.
What you have pictured there appears to be a Mil-Spec buffer tube...see below.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 02-09-2011, 03:01 AM   #17

My cheapo Caliper sucks!!!! BUT, these jacklegs couldn't get either size to fit so I guess it is a good thing that it happened this way. I have NO clue what size tube I have on now because I took my lower and ran like hell without the stock box indicating the size of stock I had!!! Wait..it is slanted and has more holes so I guess I have a commercial. Thanks JPYLE....should have PM'd you first before this got out of hand!

NRA Member
"Lighten Up Francis"
Semper gero sub gero

Last edited by 556plinker; 02-09-2011 at 03:04 AM. Reason: update

Old 02-09-2011, 03:48 AM   #18

Likes Given: 2

Congrats on your build!
I built my first lower about 3 weeks ago, I had no issues at all till the detent springs, The front one on mine I think I launched it twice, Lucky for my I was in a small area, Still took a bit to locate, But I bent the hell out of the rear spring trying to tighten the butt stock on. But I bought another and straightened out the bent one at work.
Best of luck.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:23 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I will say i didnt shoot my spring or detent across the room... however i had them in a small ziploc bag in my MIAD grip when the bag snagged and ripped sending everthing everywhere in my dining room... dark tan carpet and small black parts. yeah had to vaccumm and sort thru the dust and ****. still no avail ordered some spares now have plenty.

"Which is heavier a soldiers pack or a slaves chains" Napoleon
"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."Thomas Jefferson
"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity
"No combat-ready unit ever passed inspection, and no inspection-ready unit ever passed combat."

Old 02-09-2011, 04:52 PM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 556plinker View Post
My cheapo Caliper sucks!!!! BUT, these jacklegs couldn't get either size to fit so I guess it is a good thing that it happened this way. I have NO clue what size tube I have on now because I took my lower and ran like hell without the stock box indicating the size of stock I had!!! Wait..it is slanted and has more holes so I guess I have a commercial. Thanks JPYLE....should have PM'd you first before this got out of hand!
Careful with that pic, I've found exceptions to 2 of the main features. The back of the tube can be square on some commercial tubes and there are also 4 position commercial diameter tubes available.