Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default AR info

I am a Newbie to the whole AR world. I'm looking for dependability, best bang for buck pun intended. Not sure which direction I should travel except the caliber 5.56. Any help would.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 988 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saia73 View Post
I am a Newbie to the whole AR world. I'm looking for dependability, best bang for buck pun intended. Not sure which direction I should travel except the caliber 5.56. Any help would.
Are you willing and able to build one your self ? What kind of shooting do you intend on doing with it ? Bench shooting or off hand ?

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
Quentin Likes This 
Old 12-21-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1011 Times on 568 Posts
Likes Given: 397

This is a smokin' good deal for a DIY gun:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/featured/16-m4-cmv-chrome-lined-premium-rifle-kit.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar15-days-of-christmas/anderson-lower-receiver.html

$530 plus freight + FFL for a good basic carbine and the joy of assembling it. What's not to like?

Old 12-21-2013, 11:56 PM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 17031 Times on 9845 Posts
Likes Given: 44270

i would recommend reading the stickies at the beginning of this section. deciding on your needs or wants in what you expect from the AR you are wanting. decide on a budget and then proceed from there.

buy vs. build is another good point to consider. building many times allows a better AR for much less than a pre-built factory model. many times allows you to have the features you desire for much cheaper than buying one and changing things to suit your needs.

need to decide it's usage as well, as this can help define what your needs are when choosing an AR. competition, general plinking, SD, hunting or other usage.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:19 AM   #5

Definitely figure out what you want and go from their. Then price of parts. I bought my a part at a time. Just started shooting out 3 weeks ago and Am very pleased with it after a round a year off building it. My goal was dependability so I went with nickel boron parts.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 12-22-2013, 12:33 AM   #6

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 205

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcorker4 View Post
Definitely figure out what you want and go from their. Then price of parts. I bought my a part at a time. Just started shooting out 3 weeks ago and Am very pleased with it after a round a year off building it. My goal was dependability so I went with nickel boron parts.

What are those two things on top of your receiver rail?

PSA 16" Mid upper
Palmetto State Defense Lower
Aimpoint Comp M2
Springfield XD 9 Sub
Winchester semi 12ga
Remington 870
Mosin Nagant 91/30
RIA 2011 VZ Grips 1911 .45 acp

My deviled egg farts

Old 12-22-2013, 01:19 AM   #7
62 gr Fusion
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 190 Times on 127 Posts

Lol magpul flip up sights. That's the shortest sight radius I've ever seen on an AR. You know the front sight is supposed to go on the handguard?

Lol

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Dahamp2003 Likes This 
Old 12-22-2013, 02:11 AM   #8

It doesn't have the rail pieces for the hand gaurd yet. Suo they just sit there for now. Not allowed to actually finish it till after Christmas. Shooting it using a red dot scope till its complete.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:13 AM   #9

So yes I know where they are suppose to be. I was only allowed to get it to firing condition before Christmas. Don't have a couple things still like the rail and a flash hider.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #10

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I am partial to Palmetto State Armory since I live in SC. PSA opened a new store here in Greenville recently which makes it convenient for me although some of their good deals are online sales which are not available in store. Some folks have not given them high marks for delivery time or for communications. My experience with items I have ordered online from PSA have been fine.

I am a relative AR newbie myself. It was hard for me to know what I wanted and there seemed to be endless options and configurations. For my first AR I decided to keep it fairly simple and try for an all around gun, if there is such a thing.

I built my first rifle. PSA had opened a new location in Columbia and I stopped by to check it out while I was in town for work. Saw a sign that they had stripped lower receivers on sale for $49.95 and figured I could not go wrong at that price, so I bought one and put it in the safe. I still had little idea of what I wanted although I was fortunate to have a couple of friends with a little experience with ARs who could help me. Over several months I purchased the parts to build a "complete lower", mostly as I found things on sale. I bought everything from PSA except for my rear sight and charging handle that I bought at a show. I assembled the lower myself which was pretty easy. I didn't try to build the upper from parts since that requires tools and expertise that I don't have. I purchased a "complete upper" in last year's Black Friday sale. It is a pretty basic rifle except that I did purchase an upgraded trigger.

PSA had lowers on sale again for $50 for Black Friday this year so I bought another and am building my second rifle. I think I will make this one lightweight and compact. I chose "flat dark earth" color for the "furniture" where my first rifle is basic black.

I am no expert but my thought process went this way. First, select the chamfering; we both went with 5.56. Second, do you want the "direct impingement" operation or a piston system (the Ruger is an example of the latter); I went with DI. Next, choose the "gas system" which determines the length of the barrel and handguard. Going down in length your choices are rifle length, midlength and carbine. I wanted a 16" bbl and chose a "middy".

Even with all those decisions made there are many possible configurations. Do you want a free floating handguard or the traditional setup with the "A2 type" front sight and two piece handguards? I went with the latter on my first build but may go with one of the slim rails on my second build. The type of barrel is another choice, even with the traditional configuration.

Do you want to use iron sights only? A receiver with the "carry handle" may appeal to you. Planning to mount a scope or other optical sight? A flattop receiver might be a better choice, or you can get one with a removable carry handle.

You can read about other options such as forged v. billet construction. The many different styles and finishes for the bolt carrier group. Twist rate of the barrel. For my purposes I didn't stress over these items. Once I have put a few thousand rounds downrange I may develop the ability to tell the difference.

I have enjoyed learning a little bit about the AR. I hope you will too.