Ar for hunting/plinking
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Ar for hunting/plinking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 03:22 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ar for hunting/plinking

Getting ready to build an AR, going to use it for hunting and plinking. I'm new to guns. Can anyone recommend uppers, lowers, stocks, barrel, trigger, etc that would be ideal for such an Ar-15/mix. If someone could lead me towards sites where I could find these. I like good quality new or used. Thanks so much in advance!!!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-21-2011, 05:49 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

upper/lower - Daniel Defense, Palmetto, Spikes, BCM,

stock - Magpul CTR or MOE, VLTOR is good as well

barrel - Noveske, Daniel Defence, BCM, White Oaks Armament, Ranier Arms

trigger - Timmney, Geiselle (spelling)

Old 11-21-2011, 06:12 AM   #3

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

What's your budget? Also hunting/plinking is nebulous. Can you add to that? Distance, what type of game, caliber, barrel profile and length, etc.... You need to give this some thought because there are thousands of AR configurations. The more thought you put into this the better chance that a year down the road you'll still be happy with your purchase.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:59 AM   #4

@Quentin, sorry man still new to all this. Not really sure what I need. I'd like to be able to do small game to deer. And plinking at 50 - 100 yds or so. Not sure if I can use the same gun for that. Would .223 for caliber be sufficient? I need as much input as possible. Budget is $1,000. Give or take.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:16 AM   #5

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It would work for that if you are very particular on shot placement on a deer. As to one gun for both it is very doable.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:17 PM   #6

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

NE, 5.56/.223 is a great all-round choice for many of us and $1000 is a reasonable budget for an AR. But is .223 legal for deer in your state?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:44 PM   #7

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Default Hunting & Plinking Choice of an AR

If you posess a good, troublefree AR and most are, you will find that the .223 in soft nose bullets will kill deer, feral hogs and etc. I have killed several deer with heart/lung point of aim shots and they dropped on the spot or a jump or so away from there. None ran off to have to be located.

As a fun plinker there are .22 long rifle drop in conversions, and you will find that your AR is .22lr accurate as hitting where you aim !

I think you will find that other than a scope & scope mount, all the hundreds of so called tactical things for that rifle only help and aid the US economy, not your ability to hit what you aim at...

Have fun, good shootin' !

NRA Lifer Since 1968
Former USMC
Former Texas NG

Old 11-21-2011, 07:26 PM   #8

Such great info from everyone!! Thank you so much!! Oh man I love this place. Y'all are the best. Exactly what I've been needing.