Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR for home defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 08:26 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Dude you have no idea......everytime I see a sbr or supressor, I just about cream my pants.

Btw, check out....... the box o truth
Great Article !!
This one needs a 12" barrel with a sup. on it..!
Or the ones below it..!

Old 12-08-2011, 01:14 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 63 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 13

http://www.emich.edu/cerns/downloads/papers/PoliceStaff/Shift%20Work,%20%20Stress,%20%20Wellness/Survival%20Stress%20in%20Law%20Enforcement.pdf

The attached article covers "Survival Stress in Law Enforcement". Very interesting stuff. Page 9 covers "auditory exclusion".

EDUB

Read this one too. It goes more in depth as to the physiology of auditory exclusion.
http://www.atlanticsignal.com/mh3/pages/tpoae.html

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by EW1066; 12-08-2011 at 01:23 PM. Reason: eta second article

Old 12-08-2011, 02:53 PM   #23

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW1066 View Post
http://www.emich.edu/cerns/downloads/papers/PoliceStaff/Shift%20Work,%20%20Stress,%20%20Wellness/Survival%20Stress%20in%20Law%20Enforcement.pdf

The attached article covers "Survival Stress in Law Enforcement". Very interesting stuff. Page 9 covers "auditory exclusion".

EDUB

Read this one too. It goes more in depth as to the physiology of auditory exclusion.
The Phenomenon of Auditory Exclusion
Thanks for the link.

My experience w/ shooting under pressure w/o hearing protection tells me in the heat of the moment you don't even notice it but after the fact it sucks.

The trade off is having all your senses at a vital moment for a little permanent hearing loss later.

Huh, what was that, I couldn't hear you? If you're lucky like me your loss it at the frequency woman talk at

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 12-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Huh, what was that, I couldn't hear you? If you're lucky like me your loss it at the frequency woman talk at
If only I could get so lucky.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 12-08-2011, 03:12 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16822 Times on 9747 Posts
Likes Given: 43875

i don't believe a person woke up in the middle of the night is going to put on hearing protection before grabbing a firearm then investigating the noises made!

Old 12-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #26

As I have zero experience shooting without hearing protection on, I can offer no input. However, if we are awakened in the night and have to pull the trigger on the shoty, .45, or if we get an AR. I think we will be happy to lose some hearing, instead of our life.
Seems a small price to pay to me.
Hope never to have to pay it.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:48 PM   #27

Liked 723 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 691

I have no problem with a quality rifle or shotgun for home defense but to me, at across the room and down the hall distances, a reliable handgun with good JHP makes more sense. More maneuverable and can be fired with one hand. Smaller weapon, smaller magazines and if you choose well, plenty of stopping power with little overpenetration. Also if you CCW why not use and become intimately familiar with the same gun in the house. Yeah to me a good 9mm, .40 or .45 is perfect. I keep my Glock 22, 23 and 27 handy in the house.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:12 PM   #28

Liked 333 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 51

That's what AR pistols are for!

Even if you miss, the fireball coming from the muzzle will double as a flamethrower and directional Flashbang !

Old 12-08-2011, 11:17 PM   #29
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1798 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 971

Default Home Defense Tap/Frangible Ammunition Considerations

Angry, & Fins

As I stated I do not know what causes it and never really looked into it but I know it happens. I have just heard it referred to as shutting down the audible response and certainly that would have something to do with our brain. I will be doing some research my curiosity has peaked! Also for Fins info the Tap ammunition will work just fine for home defense. For an example in the past I did a test with 125 Grain Hornady Tap from an M-14 (308) at 25 yards on a car and car door and not always did the rounds completely go through the door and into the passenger compartment. Hard to believe but true! I found this out while teaching a class for a Sheriff's Department during the car test on a Friday. They initially wanted to carry 125 Gr. Tap in their M-14s they had received from the government due to concern of 7.62s (308) penetration on the street. The 125 gr. Tap Ammunition fragmented when some hit the supports in the door. Obviously some went through. Had to go up to the 150 grain Tap to assure most all rounds would penetrate at least one side and hit a target in the passenger compartment with enough force to stop a threat. Bricks with secured with mortar would certainly do the same to a Tap Round fired inside a home. And the fact that they are much lighter grain bullets traveling at a higher rate of speed out of the AR Rifle. If one still feels uncomfortable there is also Frangible Ammunition for the AR which will do damage on human tissue but disintegrate if it hits anything hard like brick, steel and other objects. I have shot steel targets with it at 5-6 feet. It literally disintegrates to powder. But you can shoot soft material like human tissue or gel blocks with it and it has fairly good penetration. Only caution some rifles like the Rock River Rifles, Sabre, Stag and others will feed frangible without any problem some will not due to the feed ramps. Anyone planning to use them in a self defense application should be sure to do an extensive reliability test to assure their rifle will function 100% correctly.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:26 PM   #30

Thanks for the link EW..! Downloaded and printing now. Sniper, you have quite extensive testing backgrounds with the "black guns" don't you, very cool to meet you... F R I E N D ... NEED MORE INPUT... o.k. really though, This is a 2nd floor, center condo. People above, below, and two sides, just stick with the .357 right..?

Last edited by ANGRYcanary; 12-08-2011 at 11:31 PM.