AR for home defense? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR for home defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 02:16 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5990 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 427

we use a ar for home defense for the same reason you state. my wife doesnt like shotguns. there is a very good study around the net somewhere that blows the myth of 223 over penetrating out of the water. if your super worried use some of those hornady amax rounds they come in normal redtip or the zombie green tip. they pretty much disintegrate on impacting solid objects.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-08-2011, 02:17 AM   #12

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

55gr fmj is an underpenetrator. It won't penetrate 3 sheets of sheetwall. It travels soo fast it fragments on the first wall, and the second sheet catches most of the fragments. It is super loud tho. A suppressed sbr if lawful in your state is the best tool for that application, in my humble opinion. Unfortunately, in Kommiefornia we are not allowed neither suppressor nor sbr. I live in. Townhouse with a 3 three year old. Overpenetration is a concern for me, so I have electronic ear pro and an ar pistol at the ready.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:24 AM   #13

Thanks guys for all the rapid responses.
So no doubt about it getting through the brick then.
Guess I could always take some scrap Sheetrock to the range and test it for my self.
Or brick for that mater. Though that sounds kinda scary to me.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:25 AM   #14

AgentTikki..."in Kommiefornia" Haha, sounds like Illinois..!

Old 12-08-2011, 02:27 AM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnorse View Post
only thing i would worry about is the loudness and muzzle blast of an AR... I know when i hunt and fire the AR 5 rounds i get ringing in my ears for hours after shooting... the gun is louder than any shotgun and the muzzle blast with the wrong compensator could blow sheetrock into her face if she was too close to a wall... Everything else about the AR is great, practice,practice, practice.... try shooting accurately a 5 shot quick group without ear protection on and under stress.... i find firing an AR without muffs is a LOT different than with.. my accuracy on follow up shots sucks since i anticipate the hurt of the loudness...

i recommend a 9mm carbine, i can fire that all day long without ear muffs and i'm VERY accurate with it....

to each their own, use what works for her..
I'm one of those idiots who used to shoot w/o hearing protection, not anymore.

I wonder if noise would even be a factor considering the circumstances.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 12-08-2011, 03:31 AM   #16

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGRYcanary View Post
AgentTikki..."in Kommiefornia" Haha, sounds like Illinois..!
Dude you have no idea......everytime I see a sbr or supressor, I just about cream my pants.

Btw, check out....... the box o truth

Old 12-08-2011, 03:49 AM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5990 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Dude you have no idea......everytime I see a sbr or supressor, I just about cream my pants.

Btw, check out....... the box o truth
here ya go The Box O' Truth #14 - Rifles, Shotguns, and Walls - Page 1 these are best case tests which i think is the one we are interested in. everything goes through walls. from the looks of the 223 penetration holes ill stick with the my ar for home defense. exterior walls are much harder to penetrate than plane sheetrock.

apartment dwellers have a different scenario than home-owners. a single family home has much thicker exterior walls.

i still wouldnt use birdshot

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-08-2011, 03:55 AM   #18
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2334 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 842

Best Defense did a home penetration test last season. 223 was one of the best performers. I never expected that.

IIRC, buckshot and the larger pistol rounds over penetrated the most. Most of the test was the opposite of what I expected.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 12-08-2011, 04:56 AM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Best Defense did a home penetration test last season. 223 was one of the best performers. I never expected that.

IIRC, buckshot and the larger pistol rounds over penetrated the most. Most of the test was the opposite of what I expected.
Same here.

Thanks for the link JonM

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 12-08-2011, 09:19 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
SH,

In reality in a critical situation as mentioned with adrenaline rushing and other factors your audible response of the body shuts down! They would probably be hard pressed to hear or only hear a muffled pop of the report from the rifle. I am not a medical person but I will tell you, that is normally what happens.

Sniper, I believe one of our drill instructors was saying it had something to do with the blood actually rushing through your ears at a heightened rate due to the flow of adrenalin, the blood flow, around your brain, to help protect it (your brain). Don't quote me, it was a few years back but I think that was close to what he said, someone correct me if I'm way off base here...