AR for home defense?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR for home defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 01:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AR for home defense?

My wife is more comfy shooting my neighbor's AR15 than our Mossy 12ga. So I was wondering since she wants one anyway. Would an AR make a doable HD gun or is it overkill? It's just the 2 of us, so no kids to worry bout getting hit by over penetration. And our house is brick so hopefully that'd stop anything else from getting out. Or is this just insane?
Thoughts?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-08-2011, 01:21 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1177 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 707

it would def do the job. a carbine with flashlight or something. however its also possible to get small semi auto carbines chambered in pistol calibers and that might be a better way to go. even less of a chance of penetration then. an drecoil is still minimal. just an idea. i would go with what ever is comfortable though be it a smaller shotgun like a 410. or an AR

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:24 AM   #3

Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

I think ar's have a big scare factor.. that's just me

Old 12-08-2011, 01:32 AM   #4

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I worry about over penetration, but I live in an apartment with only the outer walls being brick, the rest is all wood. I have people on all sides that I could hit with a stray round.

In a brick home with no kids, and if the neighbors house isn't within peeing distance, I wouldn't be too concerned. And it's better for her to have one that she's comfortable with and isn't afraid to use.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:39 AM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2725 Times on 1328 Posts
Likes Given: 1389

Fins,

There is nothing at all wrong with an AR for home defense giving the parameters you mentioned. Just you and your wife, brick walls and etc. Eliminates a lot of other cautions and limitations of field of fire in your home. There are also rounds available through Hornady called TAP which are ideal for the application. Then myself being an LE and Govt trainer for years. From experience "Ladies" very readily gain proficiency with the AR Rifle system. And I am not talking about Carbine rounds such as the 9mm 40 and others. BOOOO! I mean the 223/5.56 ARs. TAP ammunition is great. The ladys can handle this weapon very well after trained and practice. We would rather them be proficient in both function as well as the ability not to fear shooting it will hurt or bother them, therefore being also very accurate with the weapon. I think it is an excellent idea. And you both would enjoy shooting it! That is if you can get it away from her long enough to shoot it yourself!!!
And before the gang jumps on me I am not against the carbine calibers. I built one for my grandson years ago so he and his dad can shoot it in the inside ranges in the winter time. And not that they are bad defense weapons, but from experience just not my pick.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:49 AM   #6

There are several guys you might want to P.M. on this one...
sniper03, therewolf, or dillinger. They are just a few, but a lot of guys will chime in over the next few hours...
My opinion is HELL YEAH, you can get a good ammo with low flash for most dark situations and they are an awesome weapon for Close Quarter Battle, some of the flash hiders and compensators they have come out with are almost brutally archaic for a weapon on their own. They are, quite simply put, an already proven battle rifle. There are training courses to take for it as well. Some of the guys here can point you in that direction too. Good luck with your decision.

There's sniper right above me... Hey sir.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:00 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I've been following a similar topic on another forum. What many of the more knowledgeable guys are firm on using an AR for HD and have given good testimony damaging the over penetration myth. In fact I have read that a shotgun in fact can penetrate more than the AR.

I don't know, never shot sheet rock w/ either. Food for thought though.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 12-08-2011, 02:06 AM   #8

Likes Given: 2

only thing i would worry about is the loudness and muzzle blast of an AR... I know when i hunt and fire the AR 5 rounds i get ringing in my ears for hours after shooting... the gun is louder than any shotgun and the muzzle blast with the wrong compensator could blow sheetrock into her face if she was too close to a wall... Everything else about the AR is great, practice,practice, practice.... try shooting accurately a 5 shot quick group without ear protection on and under stress.... i find firing an AR without muffs is a LOT different than with.. my accuracy on follow up shots sucks since i anticipate the hurt of the loudness...

i recommend a 9mm carbine, i can fire that all day long without ear muffs and i'm VERY accurate with it....

to each their own, use what works for her..

Old 12-08-2011, 02:13 AM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2725 Times on 1328 Posts
Likes Given: 1389

SH,

In reality in a critical situation as mentioned with adrenaline rushing and other factors your audible response of the body shuts down! They would probably be hard pressed to hear or only hear a muffled pop of the report from the rifle. I am not a medical person but I will tell you, that is normally what happens.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:15 AM   #10

Liked 55 Times on 31 Posts

I use my olympic arms ar15 for home defence i have a flashlight and laser atachment for it aswell as a bayonet (overkill) and it works just fin pluss i can take it to the range every weekend with the rest of the guns and have fun with it. Or you can do what my neighbor did and get to german shepards and name them AR and AK hehe

Have Gun....Will Travel