AR Gun Smith needed

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR Gun Smith needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2009, 10:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AR Gun Smith needed

Gang,

can anybody recommend a good gun smith in the eagle colorado area? (Glenwood Springs, Vail, Leadville, Summit Country)

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-06-2009, 11:02 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

What is the problem?

The AR platform is not that hard to work on, or to trouble shoot. Perhaps you could fix the issue yourself??

JD

Old 12-07-2009, 01:52 PM   #3

I have a problem where the upper won't open because the bolt will not seat completly. I suspect this is because the reciever is not aligned with the gas tube.

So, i need to remove the gas tube so i can seat the bolt and then sepparate the upper and lower.

I am handy but i don't want to mess up anything worse t han it already is.

On another post, somebody suggested that removing the gas tube is not difficult and actually posted a diagram of which pins to remove.

Thoughts?

Old 12-08-2009, 03:03 AM   #4

Default your problem

have you had your stock off recently, If the buffer tube is replaced but does not capture the buffer stop in its recess, then you will have this problem, your best bet is to take the buffer off again and check every part for burs, if the carrier slammed against the buffer retainer body, then it is likely out of round and scarred up, ask me how I know..., hope this helps, Ian

Old 12-08-2009, 02:55 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

B40B - removing the gas tube is not difficult, but your concern is warranted since this is your first time.

I don't understand your description though. Can you post a photo or two?

The bolt doesn't seat completely forward?? Or it is hung up on the rear and won't allow it to open.

I have seen several AR's where it is hung up on the rear and as described above, you can have problems with your buffer and spring.

I have yet to see an AR where the bolt is too far forward not allowing the AR to be opened. That is a new one by me....

Some pictures sure would help my friend...

JD

Old 12-08-2009, 06:15 PM   #6

I think what he's saying is the gas tube is bent, causing a misalignment between the gas tube and gas key, thus not allowing the bolt to move fully forward. Or at least that's what I got out of it.

A buddy of mine is an armorer for the Police Department of the town I live in, and this happened to another officers rifle because she had too much oil on the bolt.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 12-09-2009, 02:01 PM   #7

The actual problem is that the bolt will not seat forward enough. As i said, i think the reciever is not aligned with the gas tube thus preventing the bolt from seating.

The gun is at my ranch in Colorado and i'm in Florida. I will be out there next week and will post some pictures then.

Thank you for input so far.

Bob