AR Gun Community, Does It Really Exist?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR Gun Community, Does It Really Exist?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 01:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 10

Default AR Gun Community, Does It Really Exist?

I am writing this post due to the recent boost in ALL gun prices.

People who are gun enthusiasts claim that they are trying to save the Gun Community from the current politicians in DC, but where is the loyalty? What I mean is since Obama's campaign began last year, and since the Sandy Hook massacre, gun sales have spiked, similar to when he won the presidency in '08. My issue is that if we want to call ourselves a real Gun Community then distributors and gun dealers alike need to stop raising the prices on everything they get their hands on.

I have been visiting gun shops and show in my area a lot recently to get a feel for what guns are available, and what's not available. I have noticed, as most have, that most shops are completely out of AR's unless they are in the $3k range, and they are starting to run low on hi-cap pistols as well. This is expected due to the current circumstances in Washington. I am most concerned though with our Gun Shows. My reason being that people are charging you $1,200 for an AR that was originally an $800 gun. This is showing NO loyalty to the people throughout the Gun Community.

I personally have seriously began disliking Gun Shows. Not for political reasons, but because the guys at the tables are always trying to get over on people in the shows, and it's becoming even more evident now. I understand that they are trying to run a business, but don't tell someone that their gun is not worth what they are asking for it, then turn around and offer them half of what it's really worth. Then they will put a price tag on it at their table the next day, sometimes the same day, and charge people who are shopping $100 over what they guy selling was originally asking.

I have also noticed recently that even some gun shops are taking the $800 AR's, throwing a $200 scope on it, and charging people $1,500 for that rifle. This is absurd, and once again shows no loyalty to your customers, or the so called Gun Community. If you count in the scope mounts you might add an additional $150, at the most. So you know have a gun that should cost $1,150 but they throw a $1,500 price tag on it. I know some of you will say they need to make money, but they were already making a profit when they were selling the $800 AR's. It seems that almost all dealers in the industry are taking advantage of all the people who are gun enthusiasts.

The same dealers are also spiking the magazine prices as well, charging you $40 for a mag that costs $15 at retail. This is why I have started sticking with online shops versus the retail stores.

I am sure that most of you will say it comes down to supply and demand, but that's not the case in my opinion. If the online retailers can still charge the retail price, so can the retail stores we visit for the same items. It just goes to show that there is really no Gun Community at all, or maybe there is, but no one has your back in the Community.

Please feel free to post what you've noticed in your area, and your thoughts as well.

Thanks!

Last edited by OH_AKguy_937; 01-25-2013 at 02:37 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-25-2013, 02:00 AM   #2

Likes Given: 10

I am sorry if I posted this in the wrong area of the forum. I am new to the forum, please forgive me.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:07 AM   #3
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8321 Times on 4809 Posts
Likes Given: 10787

It is my opinion that the market will determine the prices. This happened leading up to the '94 ban and prices went through the roof. I didn't have an AR then and didn't buy one at those prices. Smart move on my part. I have buddies who weren't so smart and paid tons of money in the last days, buying junk lowers that they never built up and are worth pennies on the dollar today for what they paid.

Similarly, today I am not making any buys due to the prices. I might sell off a Glock or two and take advantage of the prices people are getting though. I have sold off a bunch of surplus ammo as well for the going rate which is far more than what I paid for it. And why shouldn't I?

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:10 AM   #4
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8321 Times on 4809 Posts
Likes Given: 10787

Oh, and stop by the introductions thread and say hello. Welcome to the forum.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:12 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5744 Times on 3001 Posts
Likes Given: 380

we currently live in a supposedly free society. along with that we like to think of ourselves as capitalistic. the ar15 and other semi-autos are in high demand because of a political bent towards stripping this nation of freedom and destruction of our economy. with demand comes higher prices.

if our plitical leaders stick with the constitution and do not knuckle under to pressure from the forces of evil the demand will evaporate and guns will be plentiful again.

some folks due to human nature are going to try and make a buck off the foolish who didnt prepare or those that were too young or poor at the time to prepare.

the ones of us that are pat of the ar-community your referring to have had ar15's for quite a while and are likely to hold onto them until the follishness is over.

think of it like this...

when has a ban on anything ever not resulted in much wider distribution of that product?? before ronnie reagan's "war on drugs" there were relatively few drug dealers with an extreme minority of the population using drugs of any sort on a regular basis. 30 years later of warring on drugs you cant go 3 steps down a city street without running into a crack fiend or dealer.

if guns are banned there will be an influx of true "assault rifles" that will make the production of remington arms look like a bunch of kindergardeners with a corner lemonade stand. when proucts are banned the availability increases.

do you think that the crime lords arent going to take advantage of a vaccuum and not start running true military guns into a society that has always been based on firearms??

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 01-25-2013 at 02:20 AM.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 01-25-2013, 03:04 AM   #6

Liked 575 Times on 307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH_AKguy_937
I am writing this post due to the recent boost in ALL gun prices.

People who are gun enthusiasts claim that they are trying to save the Gun Community from the current politicians in DC, but where is the loyalty? What I mean is since Obama's campaign began last year, and since the Sandy Hook massacre, gun sales have spiked, similar to when he won the presidency in '08. My issue is that if we want to call ourselves a real Gun Community then distributors and gun dealers alike need to stop raising the prices on everything the get their hands on.

I have been visiting gun shops and show in my area a lot recently to get a feel for what guns are available, and what's not available. I have noticed, as most have, that most shops are completely out of AR's unless they are in the $3k range, and they are starting to run low on hi-cap pistols as well. This is expected due to the current circumstances in Washington. I am most concerned though with our Gun Shows. My reason being that people are charging you $1,200 for an AR that was originally an $800 gun. This is showing NO loyalty to the people throughout the Gun Community.

I personally have seriously began disliking Gun Shows. Not for political reasons, but because the guys at the tables are always trying to get over on people in the shows, and it's becoming even more evident now. I understand that they are trying to run a business, but don't tell someone that their gun is not worth what they are asking for it, then turn around and offer them half of what it's really worth. Then they will put a price tag on it at their table the next day, sometimes the same day, and charge people who are shopping $100 over what they guy selling was originally asking.

I have also noticed recently that even some gun shops are taking the $800 AR's, throwing a $200 scope on it, and charging people $1,500 for that rifle. This is absurd, and once again shows no loyalty to your customers, or the so called Gun Community. If you count in the scope mounts you might add an additional $150, at the most. So you know have a gun that should cost $1,150 but they throw a $1,500 price tag on it. I know some of you will say they need to make money, but they were already making a profit when they were selling the $800 AR's. It seems that almost all dealers in the industry are taking advantage of all the people who are gun enthusiasts.

The same dealers are also spiking the magazine prices as well, charging you $40 for a mag that costs $15 at retail. This is why I have started sticking with online shops versus the retail stores.

I am sure that most of you will say it comes down to supply and demand, but that's not the case in my opinion. If the online retailers can still charge the retail price, so can the retail stores we visit for the same items. It just goes to show that there is really no Gun Community at all, or maybe there is, but no one has your back in the Community.

Please feel free to post what you've noticed in your area, and your thoughts as well.

Thanks!
I have managed to build a few since Thanksgiving. I refuse to pay for a P.O.S rifle that is worth $799 at best when they are asking $2,800. I went to a store and found an I identified brand AR with no ejection
Port cover or forward assist, on a completed rifle. It also had 2 piece A2 hand guards and Chinese furniture on it. That's is ridiculous and someone was actually buying it! Another store wanted $250 for a basic CMMG LPK. I called the owner out on this and told him I will never come back to that sore and how if he had any loyal customers, he just lost them! I have a friend that works at a gun shop , and other than a lag in shipping , their cost has not gone up more than 10%, how does ours go up 300%. I get supply and demand ,but a business that is willing to bend its customers over like that, will not make it in he long run! They can only prey on noobs! When this is all over we will remember who tried ripping us off! I have managed to find parts on the Internet for far less than store prices. I still have a couple local shops that are honest If I'm in a pinch for something.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #7

Likes Given: 9

I've been to a few stores in the area that as soon as Sandy Hook happened they were saying they had a HUGE increase in sales. AR's, parts and a lot of other guns were simply flying off the shelf. The main question everyone had after the initial blast was, "Are you getting any more?"

Almost all were confident that they were being restocked and many even said that they next shipments were going to be coming in "any day". After stopping by week after week to check in on some of the claims; they never really restocked the shelves.

But, IMO, I feel that most of the stores saw the extreme demand on the internet via auction/selling websites and they probably kept the stock off the shelves due to the fact they could get a greater margin by using those sites. So instead of angering their normal everyday customers with a giant increase in price due to the demand, they decided to just keep it out of sight and let the private free-market of the internet to drive the prices.

One store in my area even went on the news to come out and say that their supply will not be available for purchase instore and only online auction sites will be their medium, due to the fact that some customers were getting aggressive with other customers almost to the point of a fist fight over the low availability of AR's.

Is it right for the store to try and make more money and prevent their normal store customer from purchasing? Again we are in a free market society and prices are subject to the demand. I think it's totally in the store owners right to do this. Wouldn't you travel across a State to get a better deal ($200-$500 cheaper) on your AR as a customer? It's the same mentality for the store owner.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:22 PM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Supply and demand is the way capitalism works. Is your complaint justified? Yes. As another person posted, you remember who tried to screw you and don't deal with them again. Now my problem with this AR community is when someone you know we'll and has ample supple of stuff. Like say 35 pmags and 10k rounds and won't sell anything even to family, that's where my beef is. I am speaking of my future brother in law, and his hoarding.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:31 PM   #9

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobel1up View Post
Supply and demand is the way capitalism works. Is your complaint justified? Yes. As another person posted, you remember who tried to screw you and don't deal with them again. Now my problem with this AR community is when someone you know we'll and has ample supple of stuff. Like say 35 pmags and 10k rounds and won't sell anything even to family, that's where my beef is. I am speaking of my future brother in law, and his hoarding.
Sorry I strongly disagree , thats just called being prepared

Old 01-25-2013, 04:49 PM   #10

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc

Sorry I strongly disagree , thats just called being prepared
Remember the OP was asking about the AR community, and why the price gouging. Now I do support and agree with capitalism, as far as soon to be family not helping. I call that rude. The best part is he maybe prepared, but he does ask for my help a lot when he comes for visits. Now I can tell him my price is, pmags or ammo no more freebies.