AR grip Question - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR grip Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2012, 03:44 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
just make sure you get the milspec tube, if you ever goota buttstroke a fool invading your home its less likely to break than a commercial buffer tube. make sure the castle nut has cutouts for staking not all do, no cutout makes proper staking a little harder.
LMAO!

Yes, I'm going with milspec. Why do they even make commercial if milspec is stronger?

What is stalking?

Old 09-29-2012, 04:20 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5659 Times on 2956 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Staking is using a punchand hammer to bend a piece of the endplate into the staking cutout or much more difficult bending both a small chunk of the castle nut and cut into each other. Its done after you have it all torqued correctly and in place and your sure its all functioning.

It prevents the castle nut from backing out. If the nut comes loose and they do, your whole gun comes apart explosively. Ive seen it happen on commercial elcheapo ar15 on the range.

I use an old punch ground down to make it like a small chisel. A small tap and a scootch of metal blocks the nut from turning without considerable effort and a castle nut wrench.

If someone doesnt beat me to it ill post pics and a link to vid of how its done tommorrow afternoon. Cant cut and paste on the nook :/

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-29-2012, 05:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Staking is using a punchand hammer to bend a piece of the endplate into the staking cutout or much more difficult bending both a small chunk of the castle nut and cut into each other. Its done after you have it all torqued correctly and in place and your sure its all functioning.

It prevents the castle nut from backing out. If the nut comes loose and they do, your whole gun comes apart explosively. Ive seen it happen on commercial elcheapo ar15 on the range.

I use an old punch ground down to make it like a small chisel. A small tap and a scootch of metal blocks the nut from turning without considerable effort and a castle nut wrench.

If someone doesnt beat me to it ill post pics and a link to vid of how its done tommorrow afternoon. Cant cut and paste on the nook :/
Awesome, thanks.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:50 AM   #14

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

+1 MOE plus. I like it better than my miad.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:04 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

here is a deent video with some good info on the back end of the carbine

at one point they talk about torquing it. its a good idea NOT to use the pipe on the wrench to tighten since the threads on the tube and castle nut arent that strong and you can easily warp your lower by lots of over torque like he did. thats about the only negative. the proper torque for a castle nut is 40 inch pounds. he went well into the danger zone of over torquing which is why he had a hard time getting the original end plate to come off and had to use a screw driver. he likely warped the receiver by his pipe on the wrench over torquing.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
+1 MOE plus. I like it better than my miad.
Why do you like it better? Does it just fit your hand better, or is there another reason?

Just trying to get the pros and cons of both of them.

Quote:
here is a deent video with some good info on the back end of the carbine

at one point they talk about torquing it. its a good idea NOT to use the pipe on the wrench to tighten since the threads on the tube and castle nut arent that strong and you can easily warp your lower by lots of over torque like he did. thats about the only negative. the proper torque for a castle nut is 40 inch pounds. he went well into the danger zone of over torquing which is why he had a hard time getting the original end plate to come off and had to use a screw driver. he likely warped the receiver by his pipe on the wrench over torquing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDJ8t10nLA0

Thanks, that made it a lot clearer. I guess I'll have to buy that wrench too. I'll order it when I order the stock. Is that the only thing that needs stalking?

Old 09-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Why do you like it better? Does it just fit your hand better, or is there another reason?

Just trying to get the pros and cons of both of them.

Thanks, that made it a lot clearer. I guess I'll have to buy that wrench too. I'll order it when I order the stock. Is that the only thing that needs stalking?
the gaskey on the bolt carrier must be staked but that should already be done if you have a quality bcg. one of the reasons i stick with bcm carriers and bolts is because its all done right from the get go. i dont have to worry about it. if you cant get one online let me know and i can hop over to midwest industries and grab one off their wall at their store and mail it to ya

Old 09-29-2012, 10:05 PM   #18

Quote:
the gaskey on the bolt carrier must be staked but that should already be done if you have a quality bcg. one of the reasons i stick with bcm carriers and bolts is because its all done right from the get go. i dont have to worry about it. if you cant get one online let me know and i can hop over to midwest industries and grab one off their wall at their store and mail it to ya
I plan on getting one of BCMs auto bcgs. Their site say they're in stock, but it will be a few months before I order one. Hopefully, I can find one a little cheaper. They went up in price since the last time I checked. If they run out by then, I'll let you know.

Thanks.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:12 PM   #19

Liked 1129 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 2017

I'm not real fond of the hard cheapo plastic feel on the MOE grips. MOE plus has the grippy rubber feel which feels better but I like my hogue grips a lot better. Better feels overall for me

Old 10-16-2012, 04:01 AM   #20

Well, I place my order with DSG Arms today. The stock and stock wrench are both on back order, so I have no idea when I'll actually get it. I went ahead and got the MOE+ grip. It looked comfy, and I do plan on doing more builds, so I'll try the MIAD next.