Ar gas system ,for beginners?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Ar gas system ,for beginners?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2014, 06:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Default Ar gas system ,for beginners?

I have started my first AR build and I have a novice question. When it comes to barrels/gas system is it worth the tools and time to teach myself how to stake a gas block, or being as I know what I'm looking for should I try to find a prestaked gas block? Personally looking for a "16 spikes tactical chrome lined pre staked in middie with low profile gas block and m4 feed cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-23-2014, 08:58 PM   #2

Liked 287 Times on 193 Posts

Assuming you have the mechanical ability, I would think range proximity/convenience would be another major contributing factor. You may need some adjustment after the initial assembly. Unless you do the work on site there will be some travel back and forth to get it dialed in.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:52 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 37 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by K305 View Post
I have started my first AR build and I have a novice question. When it comes to barrels/gas system is it worth the tools and time to teach myself how to stake a gas block, or being as I know what I'm looking for should I try to find a prestaked gas block? Personally looking for a "16 spikes tactical chrome lined pre staked in middie with low profile gas block and m4 feed cut.

Adams Arms makes a dynamite gas piston conversion for an AR DI setup. I've had mine for 5 years now & works perfect.

God bless our troops, specially the snipers!

Old 03-24-2014, 01:26 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5683 Times on 2970 Posts
Likes Given: 377

Quote:
Originally Posted by K305 View Post

I assume your talking about a front sight base that is part of the gas block. Not recommended as a diy. You need to properly index it and drill the barrel for the taper pins correctly. Its one of the few things on a ar15 that requires specialized machine tools.

A typical low profile gas block is what is used by diy. A front sight base is not.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-25-2014, 07:23 AM   #5

My plan is to use a spikes Fnt barrel(they have some on brownells pre drilled in middie) with the low profile gas block, and extended free float for front sighting. More curious as to whether I need pressure regulators and such or if trial and error will get a properly cycled gun through patience. I have the ability to make adjustments at my range but don't know if this is something that is usually done or should I just let a gunsmith handle my upper assembly. I would like to stress that I'd prefer a hands on approach to familiarize myself for future builds.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:05 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 248 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 31

My advice is that you buy a 16" barreled upper (with midlength gas), and even better if you find a deal on one with a handguard you like. That's just a simple, unlikely to fail, and generally cost effective direction to take.

Building uppers, going all custom, knowing how to assemble and adjust every aspect of your AR...there's legitimate value in that. But being new, keep it simple. Those things can be part of your eventual progression.

You can get into some outstanding barreled uppers with excellent handguards for very fair prices right now. Due to the mass buying and price gauging that occurred 12-16 months ago, we now find ourselves in a buyer's market. Spike's is a solid choice. So are BCM, PSA, and various options that pop up on AIM Surplus. Whether you buy a complete upper (with BCH/CH) is up to you. There are good deals out there with or without CH/BCG. Figure out what you like and go hunting.

PSA is really tough to beat for a $700-1100 build. For my money, BCM wins in the $1000-1500 range. That recipe has yet to steer me wrong. YMMV.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:37 PM   #7

Thought about a piston setup, really like the sig 516, that may have to be next.