AR Furniture and Optics - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR Furniture and Optics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2012, 02:54 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts

I agree that too many people pile on a bunch of stuff that is simply not needed. But you know what, it's their rifle and their money down the drain so if it makes them feel more like a bada$$ i really don't care

Old 05-18-2012, 03:01 AM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixer

maybe because my $2,000 Leupold scope will crack and break if tossed into the air and dropped is still 100X better than an aimpoint or trijicon that cost $900 but can be dropped from a helecopter and still work.

your idea of what is needed and "good" isnt everyones idea.
I don't believe that is what he is talking about. A magnified optic can be a better choice for certain people depending on the application. I think he is referring to things like buying a cheap airsoft quad rail for $50 when you can buy a Magpul MOE for $35 and just add rail sections. Or why spend $100 on some knock off red dot when primary arms makes a red dot with a great warranty for $90.

My first AR had enough cheap knock off crap that worked ok but I would have never trusted my life to. I went through multiple red dots before finding 1 that would hold zero. I was pretty broke at the time and didn't know any better. As I got online and started reading I decided that this AR would have no cheap junk. I didn't want to have to wonder if things were gonna work.

I sold the first AR. My current AR will never leave.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:26 AM   #13

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixer View Post
maybe because my $2,000 Leupold scope will crack and break if tossed into the air and dropped is still 100X better than an aimpoint or trijicon that cost $900 but can be dropped from a helecopter and still work.

your idea of what is needed and "good" isnt everyones idea.
Come on man. Don't let your emotions get the best of you. You're reading into my posts in order to justify some snide remark or to attempt to prove me wrong. Just calm down and read. Don't insert meaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Maybe someone doesnt like the feel of OE furniture ? I dont like the factory handguard period they are not comfortable , I do like the MOE hanguard its more comfortable and has the ability to add a rail if needed . I will tell you this if you are more comfortable with a grip or handguard , you will have more confidence in your shooting . confident shooting is always better than no confidence and uncomfortable shooting and you will always have higher scores in your shooting with more confidence
I agree. I stopped shooting my DD after adding a ACS-L. Something as simple as a stock made a big difference. If not functional mental. Either way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyone View Post
I don't believe that is what he is talking about. A magnified optic can be a better choice for certain people depending on the application. I think he is referring to things like buying a cheap airsoft quad rail for $50 when you can buy a Magpul MOE for $35 and just add rail sections. Or why spend $100 on some knock off red dot when primary arms makes a red dot with a great warranty for $90.

My first AR had enough cheap knock off crap that worked ok but I would have never trusted my life to. I went through multiple red dots before finding 1 that would hold zero. I was pretty broke at the time and didn't know any better. As I got online and started reading I decided that this AR would have no cheap junk. I didn't want to have to wonder if things were gonna work.

^This. You are correct. Thank you for clearing that up.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:09 AM   #14

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyone View Post

When I started crunching the numbers to buy my first AR, I looked at a couple at the local gun stores, but the wide variety didn't leave me feeling warm and fuzzy, so I went online, and found this forum. Yeah, I looked at many other forums, but most were almost shills for their sponsors, and the mods would literally lock a topic because someone didn't 'use the search function', or, in the most bizarre instance, someone went in, asking questions for guidance on what to build, and the mod locked the damn topic and told the poor guy to come back after he had built his rifle.
That was retarded.
So...I came here, read a bunch, asked a TON of questions, and built my AR.
I currently run Magpul on it, with BUIS form Magpul, with a Primary Arms RDS on it. I have the magnifier, 6X, stuck in my drawer. I didn't find it conducive to my shooting.
Currently saving nickels and dimes to buy my next RDS, and thinking about holographic for it. I know I'll drop several hundred on it, but I look forward to it, but that will be months down the road, as I have some things going on that take priority over my getting a new toy for my toy.
I may go dissipator look on it. I like that style. But that is really about all the more I can think of wanting to do to it. I like it clean and uncluttered.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 05-18-2012, 04:09 AM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Listen. You need to stop reading my post with hate in them. There is none. I have many people walk up to me at the range and ask why I use crap on my rifle...I need to look for an Aimpoint...whats that crazy looking cheap stock? I have a what I consider better on my rifles.

Once again..in yet another post of yours I am responded as asked to... lets look at your OP...

Quote:
I have not been very nice in the past when it comes to discussing certain options in regards to AR accessories. [?..ok]

I'm curious as to why someone would take off perfectly functional OE furniture in exchange for heavier less functional lower quality furniture or optics. [you forgot to add...IN YOUR OPINON] Or spend more on lower quality products in lue of cheaper higher quality ones. [Once again...thats what you think. I dont know of a single higher quality item that cost less than the chicom version. I figured you were talking about higher end gear you didnt approve of...in relation to your first sentance. I am sorry I assumed.] Then stack item on top of item until they have wires and things poking out every which way. [the best of the best do this also...not just the chicom crowd. Take a look at one of Travis Haley's AR15....thats where the Airsoft crowd gets the idea from]

I am just responding to your op. Its just not what you expected. There is no hate in it.
With all the info out there what is the attraction?

Old 05-18-2012, 04:31 AM   #16

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Dude others can see what is going on here. It's not just me. Just stop. We don't need another, well, I'm sure most of the guys here can figure out the members name.

You mention Travis Haley. He does run the equipment attached to his AR. He did as a gov employee and does as an instructor. I guess he should add, re zero, then remove gear according to when and where he is shooting at that moment in time. Makes sense.

Airsoft was mentioned because that is where some people get there gear they use on real firearms. I have nothing against kids or adults playing airsoft. The $ I spent on that RMR was intended to be used to start airsoft. I think if done right it can be a great training tool.

Are you denying that a Magpul MOE is of better quality than UTG stuff? That's not opinion its fact/ common knowledge to most.

Your first sentence says a lot of why you are so defensive. You can use whatever gear you want. I could care less but if someone asks the all to familiar "whats a good..." I'm going to shoot them straight regardless of what I have on my ARs. I just happen to not like to spend money on excessive "junk". I also find it a disservice to recommend parts of known low quality. Sense when was weight subjective when comparing two or more items. You will always have heavier and lighter. You can't really argue w/ the scale.

Last edited by MikeJK; 05-18-2012 at 04:34 AM.