Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   AR Furniture and Optics (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar-furniture-optics-64681/)

MikeJK 05-17-2012 11:36 PM

AR Furniture and Optics

I have not been very nice in the past when it comes to discussing certain options in regards to AR accessories.

I'm curious as to why someone would take off perfectly functional OE furniture in exchange for heavier less functional lower quality furniture or optics. Or spend more on lower quality products in lue of cheaper higher quality ones. Then stack item on top of item until they have wires and things poking out every which way.

With all the info out there what is the attraction?

canebrake 05-17-2012 11:48 PM

Ignorance or maybe unconsciousness?

JonM 05-17-2012 11:57 PM

i think its the same reason people listen to country or rap. no accounting for taste :)

Quentin 05-18-2012 12:03 AM

I think a lot of it is what they see in the gun rags. The cool factor. We all browse through magazines and some of us get hooked by the "latest great thing". Hopefully it's a sickness that can be outgrown in time.

AgentTikki 05-18-2012 12:07 AM

I think people read too much and don't think enough.

BenLuby 05-18-2012 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentTikki (Post 805613)
I think people read too much and don't think enough.

Have you looked at who the citizens elect to public office and you're not sure we're in a nation of short bus riders?

bigrock44 05-18-2012 12:23 AM

I have several straight forward AR15 builds. I am not into making it too heavy or bulky just in case TSHTF and I have to actually play Rambo. Some people will always add "what's hot" at the moment even if it won't have any practical application to them. But I guess what's overkill to one person is perfect to someone else.

MikeJK 05-18-2012 01:09 AM

Good points. More often than not the ones piling on the accessories are the ones shopping at the LAS (local airsoft store). Where do they get the idea that stuff is cool?

Fixer 05-18-2012 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeJK (Post 805582)
I have not been very nice in the past when it comes to discussing certain options in regards to AR accessories.

I'm curious as to why someone would take off perfectly functional OE furniture in exchange for heavier less functional lower quality furniture or optics. Or spend more on lower quality products in lue of cheaper higher quality ones. Then stack item on top of item until they have wires and things poking out every which way.

With all the info out there what is the attraction?

maybe because my $2,000 Leupold scope will crack and break if tossed into the air and dropped is still 100X better than an aimpoint or trijicon that cost $900 but can be dropped from a helecopter and still work.

your idea of what is needed and "good" isnt everyones idea.

purehavoc 05-18-2012 03:48 AM

Maybe someone doesnt like the feel of OE furniture ? I dont like the factory handguard period they are not comfortable , I do like the MOE hanguard its more comfortable and has the ability to add a rail if needed . I will tell you this if you are more comfortable with a grip or handguard , you will have more confidence in your shooting . confident shooting is always better than no confidence and uncomfortable shooting and you will always have higher scores in your shooting with more confidence