Ar ergo grip instalation
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Ar ergo grip instalation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default Ar ergo grip instalation

I am new to the ar platform and I would like to upgrade from the standard plastic grip to an ergo I picked up at one of the gun shops I frequent. Can anyone tell me what size alan key I will need to remove the stock grip from my Bushmaster xm 15 e2s? Thank you all in advance. Sorry for asking a stupid noob question

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #2

Just some advise, as soon as you begin to remove the grip be really careful not to drop the safety pin and spring.....just incase you didn't allready know

Old 04-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #3

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtfilamguy View Post
I am new to the ar platform and I would like to upgrade from the standard plastic grip to an ergo I picked up at one of the gun shops I frequent. Can anyone tell me what size alan key I will need to remove the stock grip from my Bushmaster xm 15 e2s? Thank you all in advance. Sorry for asking a stupid noob question
Not a "stupid question" at all. Many of these type of jobs start out looking easy, then turn out to be a PITA. This isn't. I just finished installing several Ergo Deluxe Tactical Grips on many of my AR-15's. For a Bushmaster you will need a 3/16's Allen wrench. I have a long set that attaches to a 3/8's drive ratchet, but any 3/16's Allen wrench will do, just be sure it's long enough. Use a flashlight to line up the flats because mine were a snug fit on the wrench itself. That is nice because that way the screw will stay attached to the Allen wrench when you install the new grip.

You will find they are not torqued very tight. Ergo gives you a flat washer, as well as a star lock washer with the grip. Use both. Star lock washer goes on the screw first, then the flat washer. As was mentioned you will have a small spring that fits into the hole for the safety detent. Be careful when removing the original grip you don't lose it. When you install the Ergo just place the spring into the hole provided for it, making sure it lines up with the hole in the lower, and slip the new grip into place. I used some grease on the threads because they are fine and Aluminum is soft. You don't want to strip it. Start the screw by hand. When it starts to get tight by hand, just torque it enough to hold the grip in place. That's pretty much it. You'll find they are a 110% improvement over the crappy standard grip most all the manufacturers provide you with. Be sure to check for correct operation of your safety when you've completed the job.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:54 PM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Thank you for the info with your tips installation was a breeze. The grip upgrade is well worth the money

Old 04-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Thank you for the info with your tips installation was a breeze. The grip upgrade is well worth the money
Glad it worked out.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:40 AM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt

Glad it worked out.
Yup the grip is great thanks again for the info

Old 04-13-2012, 05:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernfirepower View Post
Just some advise, as soon as you begin to remove the grip be really careful not to drop the safety pin and spring.....just incase you didn't allready know
Should be advice. . .sorry for offtopic post, when quentin brought it up, i realized people mix up the two a lot

Old 04-13-2012, 06:04 AM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetics
Should be advice. . .sorry for offtopic post, when quentin brought it up, i realized people mix up the two a lot
I had not known about the spring and safety detent before you mentioned it so i watched a YouTube vid on grip mods to see what you meant I didn't want to lose any parts or even catch them the hard way like in the eye. Thank for the info it's nice to be able to ask for help without judgement

Old 04-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #9

Quote:
I had not known about the spring and safety detent before you mentioned it so i watched a YouTube vid on grip mods to see what you meant I didn't want to lose any parts or even catch them the hard way like in the eye. Thank for the info it's nice to be able to ask for help without judgement
One of the things I did while I had the OEM grip and spring removed, was to place a couple of drops of high viscosity oil, (I used 90W-140 Synthetic Gear Lubricant), into the hole for the spring and pin with the rifle inverted. This gets lubricant right where it needs to be, and allows it to flow all around the safety switch itself. I then installed the spring and new Ergo Grip. It really made the safety operate slicker than snot. I have found on most every AR-15 I own including Colt, they are really stingy with lubricant from the factory.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:38 AM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

What type of lubricant do you recommend? I am using hoppes but I have heard graphite is better. What do you use?