AR Drunk and My Bluegrass Black Rifle
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

AR Drunk and My Bluegrass Black Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AR Drunk and My Bluegrass Black Rifle

New to the AR section, but not real new to the FTF forum.

Well here I go again. A few years back I built a Post Ban Carbine. COOL little shooter but turned it over for a VERY good price. Had about 600.00 in it and had a guy, who could legally own it, offer me double that so I said what the Hell. Not sure WHY he wanted it so bad, and pay that price, but that was 5 or 6 years ago and he hasn't been on the evening news, YET.

A friend has gotten me back into the AR mood. So I went to a local Gun Show, Louisville, KY btw, and found a VERY nice lower made by Accurate Tool in Lexington, KY.

The final details of their process resulted in a gorgeous lower that is DEAD ON Mil Spec. Not to mention, Home made. Not sure where they get their castings, or if the are made in house, but the final product was the best I saw there.

Then found a cute little, and I do mean LITTLE carbine upper assembly (10.5" barrel). Turns out it was too short of a barrel for me to use with out a bunch of additional paperwork that I don't want to apply for. I was a little pissed at the guys at Double Star Corp, from Winchester, KY, for selling it to me.

I will assume the responsibility for the purchase, but I was there haggling with them. Purchased a Socom collapsible stock and they knew what I was building and NEVER said anything about needing any special paperwork for that barrel.

I installed on the Lower and OH MY GOD!!!!! the fit was HORRIBLE!!!! Looser than a .50 cent hooker. I could not believe the fit. A PAIR of Accu Wedges would not have helped. Like I said the Lower is DEAD ON Spec. The pivot and take-down holes on the upper calipered at .258" and .259" respectively. I called Double Star, and the sales guy remembered me from the haggling. Said for me to send it back. Said he would spend as much time as needed to find me another M4 Flat Top Upper with a 1 in 9 , 16" barrel with an A2 front sight and flash hider.

Said they would refund my shipping if I put a copy of the UPS ticket in the box. So far they get an A+ for the customer service on the exchange, but Not sure I should have gone through this step in the first place.

The new upper should be here today. I can't wait to see how it fits. I have an OLD, VERY used Colt Preban HBar 1 in 7 NATO A1 upper on it now (With the offset bushing in the pivot hole) and it is tighter than a $1,000.00 hooker. Even without the bushing in the pivot hole, the rear take-down pin is VERY snug and aside from the color mismatch, looks and fits like a matched set upper and lower.

I will try to get some pics of the lower and stock assembly for ya. See Below

As far as innards on the Lower, went with the standard DPMS lower parts kit, for now.

I plan a Yankee Hill free float forend and all kinds of other goodies, as the budget allows in the future.

Last edited by WoodysKJ; 03-07-2011 at 02:21 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-07-2011, 01:26 PM   #2

An update, sort of.....

Just got an Email from the dude at Double star and they were also VERY surprised as to how loose the upper was on their lowers. They sent their apologies and said that another was in route and due here today.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:20 PM   #3

Default Some Pics

Some of my tools acquired over time:
AR Drunk and My Bluegrass Black Rifle - AR-15 Discussion
I have other tools, like the Mag Block and the Upper Receiver Block, just not in the pic.

My First acquisition, A Colt SP-1 PD trade off from Las Vegas PD. Got it about 11+ years ago:

My Accurate Lower with the A1 Upper:

Other trouble I just got into:

The Stag Arms lowers were on sale at my local GS for 95.00 each, and was able to get consecutive SE numbers. Had a discovered Armalite Lower kit laying around so I figured, WTF, why not. The reason the don't look the same is when I install lower parts I used Gun oil as they go together. The oil spreads out over the finish so it has been wiped down with a rag after assembly. They were IDENTICAL in the boxes.

Plans:
Accurate becomes my "Bluegrass Tactical Black Rifle" With all of the major components at least having ties to the Bluegrass state. Laser/flash light vertical grip from CT on the FF Quad rail over the carbine barrel. Maybe a EcoTech 512 on the flat top.

One Stag Arms becomes a critter ridder with a 20" or 24" bull barrel and ff hand guard, Comp Trigger, MagPul Stock or a weighted A2 stock, BiPod, Muzzle Break....

Other Stag Arms becomes a 22 LR plinker cosmetic match to the Other Stag.

Plans are likely to change, just the current dream.

Last edited by WoodysKJ; 03-07-2011 at 07:53 PM.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:01 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Looks like you have a full schedule for some time to come.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

That sounds like a whole gaggle of projects. Please keep us in the loop.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1195 Times on 831 Posts
Likes Given: 1234

Woody, you've come down with BRD real bad!

Hope your DS upper comes today and works out well! Definitely let us know how your projects turn out.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #7

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

I didn't know there were fifty cent hookers.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 03-07-2011, 05:59 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1195 Times on 831 Posts
Likes Given: 1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
I didn't know there were fifty cent hookers.
Guess the economy just took a turn for the worse!

Old 03-07-2011, 06:49 PM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3569 Times on 1719 Posts
Likes Given: 1781

Woody,

Better hang on to that SP-1 they are the same as collectors today. And as mine I will not change anything on it. Also for educational purposes there are only but a very few foundries that do the forgings for the AR and M-16 rifles. Some of the present manufacturers machine them at their location. But the majority of the companies building ARs under their name are basically just assemblers and get the components and parts from suppliers. That is not saying they do not have a quality product only that they are more susceptible to having parts issues on occasion. Example Continental Machine and Tool machines forgings they purchase from a foundry. And then supply receivers to some 10 different companies. They do good work. I would like to know where all of the junk receivers are coming from like the one in your case and our forum brother who got one from LaRue recently. Obviously they are not checking the product very well before it goes out! I think it is called final inspection??? A well built receiver doesn't need such things a accuracy shims. And ideally you want the take down pin to be good and snug when it is new. Because when it gets several thousand rounds through it the receiver will still have a good fit and you will not be able to see the sun shine through it between the upper and lower. Anyway man hope the new unit gets in today and it is A-OK! And as CA stated looks like you have some busy projects underway!

Old 03-07-2011, 07:48 PM   #10

I am sitting here TRYING to get some work accomplished as I wait for the UPS dude.

The SP-1 I have is the second of a 2 1/2 gun deal I did back 11 years ago or so. I corrected myself, i purchased the SP-1's a longer time ago, Imust be getting old.

Anyway I found 2 SP-1's and an unmated the A1 upper (along with 20, 30 round preban all metal mags) for just under 2 grand at a time when the guns were easily fetching over 1,300+ each. They were both LVPD trades for when the switched to MP-5's or something like that. Dealer had a small truck load of them.

The one I still have is in great shape and I will keep it that way, but the one I sold (Yes I sold one, LIKE A FREAKIN' MORON!!!) was practically new. Still had a cosmoline soaked cord in the barrel. looked like it had NEVER been fired. One of those gems that stayed in a Commander's car or never even left the Armory.

Anyway, I need the cash and got $1,400.00 for it and have regretted it every since.

Haven't done much with them till recently and it looks like I am diving in head first into the shallow end.

Now, If I can only find an old A1 lower to mate up with that lonesome A1 Upper.

Anybody have one laying around?

As far as the .50 cent hooker is concerned, I know a place in Nashville where you can find a couple. Let's just say they have had a few rounds through them and the rifling is pretty well shot. Kind of like a MG43 barrel at Normandy....LOL

That should paint a pretty descriptive mental picture.

Updates coming

Last edited by WoodysKJ; 03-07-2011 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Cuz I wanted to!