AR complete Uppers
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR complete Uppers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 09:57 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

I'm looking for two uppers. One for target and one for HD/plinking.

I'm leaning towards the RRA Varmint 20 inch with 1:8 twist for the target. The other I'm looking at is the Sabre Defence Custom 16 inch mid-length with 1:7 twist. This one has a YHM free float installed already. Both are from PK firearms. Just above $600 each.

Anyone know of any better deals? I'm building the lowers but don't wanna do the uppers.

I really want the HD upper to have a free float quad rail and the target to have a free float tube with swivel stud for a bipod.

Is this a little high or a lot high, price wise? And is Sabre Defence good quality?

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Last edited by Squawk; 12-15-2012 at 10:00 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-15-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2549 Times on 1246 Posts
Likes Given: 1284

Squawk,
Both are good choices. You will not find any better than the Rock River Arms A-4 20" Varmint upper. I have had two of them and still have one. They are 1/4 MOA Uppers on a good day when we are having a good day with good accurate ammunition. Both were and the one I presently have is 1:8 twist also. Great selection. And it is a shame Sabre is out of business but that unit it tops also. Not too many of them left out there~Made out of Chrome Molly Vanadium not a better tactical type barrel available. They both are *air gauged barrels. When you get the A-4 Varminter tell PK you need a Rock River Scout Rail or the Rings to mount the scope forward on the flat top for proper eye relief with a good scope. Might check into a Rock River 2 Stage National Match Trigger with PK for your lower build. You will not be sorry.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Txhillbilly Likes This 
Old 12-15-2012, 10:43 PM   #3

Liked 16 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk
I'm looking for two uppers. One for target and one for HD/plinking.

I'm leaning towards the RRA Varmint 20 inch with 1:8 twist for the target. The other I'm looking at is the Sabre Defence Custom 16 inch mid-length with 1:7 twist. This one has a YHM free float installed already. Both are from PK firearms. Just above $600 each.

Anyone know of any better deals? I'm building the lowers but don't wanna do the uppers.

I really want the HD upper to have a free float quad rail and the target to have a free float tube with swivel stud for a bipod.

Is this a little high or a lot high, price wise? And is Sabre Defence good quality?
Please don't get a saber defense. We started to get them issued to us in the marine corps and they are absolute trash compared to the colts/fn we have around. Pins pop out from the front sight A frame flash hiders become loose. No one that shot on the rifle range with a SB shot expert. This is when we really believed everything is made by the lowest bidder

Only the dead will know the end of war - Plato

Old 12-15-2012, 10:48 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

So you have any recommendations for a midlength gas system upper with free float quad rails?

I'm sold on the RRA varmint for my target. Thanks Sniper. Anything else I have read said it was top notch. You reaffirmed this for me.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:11 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Sabre built very good rifles regardless of what you hear! I likewise have had serious problems with Colts. There may have been some fixing going on there because they were taking away a large part of Colts contracts. So maybe the rifles were pre-exposed before you got them in the Corp. Tapper Pins just don't fall out! Funny that when they went out of business Colt tried to buy the company. Never had any problems with any of them.
Oh well opinions are like posterior parts.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 12-15-2012 at 11:16 PM.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:16 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Squawk,

You could also get a RRA Mid they have them and I am sure PK has them he buys a lot from Rock River and other companies as well. Another good source is Hill Top Guns in Colona IL,

*Patrick Henry

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 12-16-2012, 12:30 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03
Squawk,

You could also get a RRA Mid they have them and I am sure PK has them he buys a lot from Rock River and other companies as well. Another good source is Hill Top Guns in Colona IL,

I looked at those first. What sold me on the Sabre is the YHM Quad Rail already installed.

Any idea where I can get a mid-length Upper with a Free Float Quad rail? Also like having the iron sights.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:53 AM   #8

Liked 1000 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 1001

I've always heard good things about Sabre as well so am surprised by the negative report. One good thing though, there are a lot of quality duty style uppers out there.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:14 AM   #9

Liked 16 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
I've always heard good things about Sabre as well so am surprised by the negative report. One good thing though, there are a lot of quality duty style uppers out there.
Larue Daniel defense lwrc spikes tactical

Only the dead will know the end of war - Plato

Old 12-16-2012, 03:19 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tone0311

Larue Daniel defense lwrc spikes tactical
Larue uppers are way out of my price range. In trying to keep the upper around $600