AR Cleaning and lubricating

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR Cleaning and lubricating

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2010, 02:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AR Cleaning and lubricating

First of all I'd like to say how much I enjoy this forum. You guys rock!
I'm sure this has been discussed before - what supplies do you use to clean & lube your AR? My RRA M4 came with the little Army manual that says to use CLP for everything and that's what I have been doing. No problems. But on one of the TV shows, the guy used solvent and oil. Is there an advantage to using one over the other? I read somewhere that if you start using CLP, you should stick with it and you should not use other chemicals on top of the CLP.
Thanks .......

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-19-2010, 03:20 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Just me, but I usually use a good powder/copper remover such as Butch's Bore Shine, to remove fouling from the bore and carbon build up on the bolt and receiver.
I brush clean, wipe dry, then lightly lube all moving parts with Mobil 1 0w-30 Synthetic, going a little heavier on the lube to the outer contact areas of the bolt carrier.

By the way, welcome to the forum!
Swing by the Introductions section if you get a chance and say "Hi" to the rest of the guys/gals

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 08-19-2010, 03:47 AM   #3

Thanks! There's a lot of good info around here.