Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   AR caliber change (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar-caliber-change-8301/)

dragunovsks 11-09-2008 10:33 PM

AR caliber change

Is it possible to change the caliber of an AR simply by switching out uppers and mags? I was watching Future Weapons today and they were talking about the .50 BEOWOLF round. Mac switched out his 5.56mm upper with one chambered in .50 Beowolf to take care of a hostile vehicle. Is this possible on a commercial AR or was his "special"?

junho806 11-09-2008 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragunovsks (Post 49629)
Is it possible to change the caliber of an AR simply by switching out uppers and mags? I was watching Future Weapons today and they were talking about the .50 BEOWOLF round. Mac switched out his 5.56mm upper with one chambered in .50 Beowolf to take care of a hostile vehicle. Is this possible on a commercial AR or was his "special"?

i think it depends
like if you want to convert it to a 7.62 you need a special lower and upper and barrel
not sure about the .50 bewolf but i'm gonna guess most likely

Txhillbilly 11-09-2008 11:23 PM

Yeah,Remove the mag,make sure chamber is empty,push out lower pins, remove upper. Install new upper,push in lower pins,install mag,chamber round,and fire your other caliber upper.

Dillinger 11-10-2008 12:05 AM

Pretty much spot on as the info above will tell you. If the round takes a long mag ( like the 7.62 ) then you can't. However, I believe that the .50 Beowulf is in length with the smaller, standard, AR-15 size mag slot in the lower receiver.

As such, an upper chambered for .50 Beowulf, two pins and a mag change later, you are good to go.

One of the truly great things about the AR platform :)

matt g 11-10-2008 01:12 AM

If you change from 5.56/.223, you're going to need a new bolt.

Dillinger 11-10-2008 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt g (Post 49674)
If you change from 5.56/.223, you're going to need a new bolt.

My 6.5 Grendel uses the same bolt, the bolt head ( 7.62 x 39 ) is all I needed to change to chamber the smaller case.

matt g 11-10-2008 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 49681)
My 6.5 Grendel uses the same bolt, the bolt head ( 7.62 x 39 ) is all I needed to change to chamber the smaller case.

I'm talking about the bolt itself, not the carrier. I'm working off GI terms here, I apologize if the civilian equivalents are different.

dragunovsks 11-10-2008 11:46 PM

Well thanx for the info, however on Future Weapons, Mac just switched out uppers. He had a complete .50 Beowolf upper and mag in a bag in the backseat of the SUV. He simply switched out the upper and mag and was ready to rock and roll. I was told by the guy at the store where I bought my AR that I might as well buy a second AR in a different caliber. He said that they couldn't be switched out like that. However he did say that I could go from a standard military A2 configuration to a flat-top with a varmint barrel in the same caliber (which I kinda figured anyway). Maybe he was trying to sell my another AR?

jeepcreep927 11-11-2008 12:22 AM

50 Beowulf upper functions on a standard AR 5.56/.223 lower. The bolt face is larger however so you could have a complete upper (with proper bolt, carrier which is the same as 5.56/ .223, charging handle etc.) and slap it on, then use the appropriate magazine.

Dillinger 11-11-2008 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragunovsks (Post 49821)
Well thanx for the info, however on Future Weapons, Mac just switched out uppers. He had a complete .50 Beowolf upper and mag in a bag in the backseat of the SUV. He simply switched out the upper and mag and was ready to rock and roll. I was told by the guy at the store where I bought my AR that I might as well buy a second AR in a different caliber. He said that they couldn't be switched out like that. However he did say that I could go from a standard military A2 configuration to a flat-top with a varmint barrel in the same caliber (which I kinda figured anyway). Maybe he was trying to sell my another AR?

You ought to go back and punch him in the mouth for lying to your face. :p

Look, the AR lower is an AR lower for whatever upper you put on there, provided that the mag well will handle the new magazine. That's it. There isn't a magic component from one lower to the next.

Yes, you can buy a complete new upper in say, .50 Beowulf, and include a new Bolt Carrier Group and charging handle, the whole nine yards. You would pull two pins and be good to go.

However, you could also just buy a new bolt head, and with about 2 or 3 minutes of work and a little oil, you don't need to spend the money on a whole new BCG.

However, you still need a new barreled upper in the correct caliber. :)