AR built! - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

AR built!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2010, 01:42 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Nice looking SUR you got there Daggle...

I hate you for posting that del-ton link,, not I am plotting another built... Like any man really needs 4 ar's They get addicting

Old 06-27-2010, 08:26 PM   #12

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3489 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

*clapping*

Well Done Daggle! I am proud of you and I am happy to have been of any assistance in your securing your first of what, I am sure, will be a couple of AR's.

Well done sir.

Now, for those tuning in late, how would you now classify your understanding of this "complex" weapon system having built your own lower??

JD

Old 06-27-2010, 08:56 PM   #13

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

Very nice, Daggle. Very nice indeed. *jealous*

I can't wait to see the range report you promised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 06-27-2010, 09:36 PM   #14

Liked 860 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Very nice job.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:13 AM   #15

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
*clapping*

Well Done Daggle! I am proud of you and I am happy to have been of any assistance in your securing your first of what, I am sure, will be a couple of AR's.

Well done sir.

Now, for those tuning in late, how would you now classify your understanding of this "complex" weapon system having built your own lower??

JD
I was pleasantly surprised by the simplicity of it, actually. The majority of the parts were essentially 'drop-in-and-pin-in-place'. The only part that gave me any trouble was the front take-down pin detent. I was lucky enough that when it DID shoot out, it ricocheted off several conveniently located fixtures and landed back on the foam mat in front of me. After that I hung a towel in front of it .
My upper came assembled, but I've pulled apart what I can, and it's even simpler than the lower. Aside from the troublesome sight post pins, the upper can be taken down to parts and re-assembled in a minute or two.
Through the entire build, I only used 4 roll pin punches, 1 screwdriver, and a pair of vicegrips.
After all is said and done, I am VERY happy with my new rifle, and VERY glad I chose to build the lower myself. It was a lot of fun to do, a great learning experience, and the satisfaction of a job well done is much better than simply making a purchase!
The only downside to the whole process is that I can't afford to do it again right away !

Old 06-28-2010, 04:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmboyz View Post
Nice looking SUR you got there Daggle...

I hate you for posting that del-ton link,, not I am plotting another built... Like any man really needs 4 ar's They get addicting
Thanks, and I WOULD apologize, but I enticed myself to build another already too, so we're even
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Very nice, Daggle. Very nice indeed. *jealous*

I can't wait to see the range report you promised.
Range report as promised, sir!

Old 06-28-2010, 10:46 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Nice job at the range for yer first time out with her !!!

How is the fit and finish on the del-ton parts?? I can't decide wether to go with the 16" dissipator or the 20" like you have

Old 06-29-2010, 12:18 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmboyz View Post
Nice job at the range for yer first time out with her !!!

How is the fit and finish on the del-ton parts?? I can't decide wether to go with the 16" dissipator or the 20" like you have
As Glass said, Del-Ton is very nice. I haven't built, owned, or even shot anything else, so I don't really have any frame of reference, but I'm very happy with my Del-Ton parts, for what that's worth. They seem to be tight, solid pieces.
The Del-Ton upper has a TINY amount of play between it and the LWC (the company that makes DuraCoat) lower, but not anything that would cause a problem, probably a fraction of a millimeter. You can feel the slightest movement if you jerk on them, but they're solid in place when shooting.
If you're considering the 20" upper, I will say that the barrel is pretty heavy (but not unbearable), and I believe they only come in 1:9.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:42 AM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaggle View Post
As Glass said, Del-Ton is very nice. I haven't built, owned, or even shot anything else, so I don't really have any frame of reference, but I'm very happy with my Del-Ton parts, for what that's worth. They seem to be tight, solid pieces.
The Del-Ton upper has a TINY amount of play between it and the LWC (the company that makes DuraCoat) lower, but not anything that would cause a problem, probably a fraction of a millimeter. You can feel the slightest movement if you jerk on them, but they're solid in place when shooting.
If you're considering the 20" upper, I will say that the barrel is pretty heavy (but not unbearable), and I believe they only come in 1:9.
While it's totally not necessary, an accuwedge eliminates that tiny wiggle nicely.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:44 AM   #20

Liked 210 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Looks Good!
Is it a Gov't Profile or HBar?
haha I don't know any shooter that's fiddled with my ar, and hasn't started "contemplating" a build. Including me!