Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR Building Recommendations & Opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2007, 05:45 AM   #1
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 687 Times on 384 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Default AR Building Recommendations & Opinions

If you were going to build an AR what upper, lower, and stock would you start with.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-03-2007, 07:58 AM   #2

Liked 13 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Well, first you gotta decide what the intended use is. Tactical Carbine? Varmint Hunter? CMP match shooter? Plinker? Target gun? Once you have it narrowed down, you can then choose your components. There are several top quality companies out there. I prefer Rock River Arms, but also like Armalite, Stag, Bushmaster, DPMS, to name a few. Rock River uses Wilson barrels that are very accurate. I also like the Rock River Two Stage Trigger in most any rifle configuration. If you're building a 16" Carbine, look at the Mid Length handguard/gas tube option. There are a ton of other options/upgrades, but as I said you first have to decide what the main purpose of the rifle will be.

Donnie

Active LE Sniper, AR15/M16 Armorer, Firearms Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, Taser Instructor, Sniper Team Leader, and owner of www.bigrivertactical.com :D 狙击手

Old 07-03-2007, 07:26 PM   #3

I would use Rock River. We have done a couple of builds they work great and they are worth the money. You could alway use a RR lower and put whatever on the top end.

Later Joe

Old 07-03-2007, 08:26 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

For the most part a lower, is a lower, is a lower as long as its in spec. You just have to decide if you want a Snake, a Recticle, or a Deer on the side, as well as how much you want to pay (I use Bushmaster lowers for purley cosmetic reasons FWIW). I would need to know the intended use of said rifle to recomment a stock/upper as well as your budget. I can build a $600 AR, and I can build a $2500 AR for the same purpose.

Quote:
I prefer Rock River Arms, but also like Armalite, Stag, Bushmaster, DPMS, to name a few.
Not to start a brand bashing fest but I personally avoid DPMS parts.

Old 07-04-2007, 04:36 PM   #5
bkt

Liked 1302 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Bought a complete (w/ BCG) chromed 1:9 16" Stag Arms upper (2H-M4) from Legal Transfers in NH for $480. Got a Stag Arms lower w/ trigger assy installed from Title2.com for $150. Stock was $50.

It helps to have instructions for the recoil buffer/stock assembly if you've never done it before. Even as a complete newbie, it only took a few minutes to put it all together.

This thing is very accurate and has been very reliable -- no problems at all.

One friend did the same with an RRA upper and Stag lower and another friend did a roll-your-own Colt. These are all excellent rifles.

Old 07-04-2007, 04:38 PM   #6
bkt

Liked 1302 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassMonkey View Post
Not to start a brand bashing fest but I personally avoid DPMS parts.
Huh. Whats wrong with DPMS? Fit issues? Quality?

I heard Oly Arms doesn't necessarily play well with parts from other manufacturers.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:22 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Huh. Whats wrong with DPMS? Fit issues? Quality?
Fit issues are the commonly encountered problem. For some reason DPMS recievers both upper and lower only seem to work well with DPMS parts. I have had a DPMS upper that would not work with any of my charging handles, but would work with one from DPMS. A guy I shoot with has a DPMS stripped lower that would not take his Stag lower parts kit, but it took on from DPMS fine. I bought the Stag LPK from him and it worked fine in my NDS lower .

Old 07-05-2007, 03:46 AM   #8

I've been mainly using RRA lowers mated to Del-Ton's upper kits. They work together flawlessly. I've used a couple uppers from Sherluk, and after a couple tweaking-- mainly with the gas ports, they too work flawlessly.

Old 07-07-2007, 06:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdku View Post
If you were going to build an AR what upper, lower, and stock would you start with.

I have three. A Lefty CQB, an extremely serious sniper setup, and a typical M4 host for DIAS.

"The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all." -- Thomas Jefferson