AR Building information - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR Building information

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2008, 03:56 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

MEK, I just built my AR this summer. I had not really seen or shot one for 20 or so years. After shooting one again, it became mandatory that I get one for myself.

Anywho, building the lower only presented one trouble situation. Getting the breakdown detent pins into place. They make a tool for it, which i did not have, that may make it easier. If you can follow simple directions and have any mechanical skill, building the lower is with in reason. MANY step by step instructions online. If you build your own lower, upgrading the trigger will not be anything you have not previously completed.

The upper on the other hand will need to be headspaced if you buy it piecemeal. There is a gunsmith in the family and this could have been an option but I chose to buy a complete upper with a lower kit. For simplicity, I'd advise buying a complete upper.

My build costs were $109 plus local tax for the lower, $420 for the upper and parts to complete my lower. Getting it all together, sans one retention pin, took me an hour or so.

My AR shoots as well as any I have used in the past, a Colt being my issued weapon for 3+ years.

If you ask me, the toughest part of building an AR is figuring out what to build, first....

Old 09-29-2008, 04:45 AM   #12

I wasn't trying to call you out I hope you know. I happen to live in a state where there are no additional restrictions other than federal regs. I see some of the obscure stuff like number of US manufactured parts, folding this or bayonet lug that and it blows my mind. How easy could it be for someone who had no nefarious intent to get jambed up due to a mis- reading or mis- interpretation of a lawyer written law?

I guess I should consider myself lucky to be able to follow one set of rules.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 09-29-2008, 10:06 AM   #13
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 View Post
I wasn't trying to call you out I hope you know. I happen to live in a state where there are no additional restrictions other than federal regs. I see some of the obscure stuff like number of US manufactured parts, folding this or bayonet lug that and it blows my mind. How easy could it be for someone who had no nefarious intent to get jambed up due to a mis- reading or mis- interpretation of a lawyer written law?
It's pretty easy. I could buy a collapsible stock for my post-ban AR, not knowing it would be illegal.

Also, there is no shortage of range nazis who will tell you "that rifle is illegal" when they don't know what they're talking about. It pays to know the local laws well to be able to refute those folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 View Post
I guess I should consider myself lucky to be able to follow one set of rules.
+1! I wish New York were still part of the United States of America. I hear that country is shrinking, though.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:31 AM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Maybe you can gather some information from my blog on AR15's.

http://www.ar15pro.net/

I am adding new stuff as often as I can, but it's slow going, I wish I had more time.