AR Building information
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR Building information

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2008, 12:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AR Building information

Where can I find out ALOT of information about the AR rifle? After reading these forums I am still not sure what the AR15 is because on google images I see all types of AR varients. Is "AR" the name of the lower reciever or something. This reminds me of the "AK"; there are so many different types that I dont know what makes a AR and an AK what they are. Please help clear this confusion up. Also, I love in CT can I build/own any of these weapons?(semi-auto only)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-27-2008, 01:19 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

AR stands for Automatic Rifle. Automatic Rifle is a basic term for the feeding mech, which is one shot, one round fired, and one round reloaded for the next unlucky Zombie SOB in your sights.

I think you will find this site to be very AR friendly - and several threads here are about building AR's from scratch. There are a couple of members who have built their own AR's from scratch, one recent member by the name junho who built one for under $700. Here's his build thread here and it includes a range report.

My name's Dillinger and I would be happy to help with your build plans.

bkt is a member of the black rifle club and lives behind enemy lines in New York. I would imagine that his governing rules and yours are pretty close, which will be a benefit.

matt g is another member who lives in Kali, also behind enemy lines, and has designs on a couple of AR's.

Both them have resourced places that can provide you with the answers you are looking for.

If you have any questions - please don't hesitate to ask...

JD

Old 09-27-2008, 01:42 PM   #3
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
AR stands for Automatic Rifle.
EH?! I thought AR was for Armalite, the company that originally manufactured them. Like the AR-7 (a.k.a. Henry Survival Rifle) or the AR-24 9mm pistol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
bkt is a member of the black rifle club and lives behind enemy lines in New York. I would imagine that his governing rules and yours are pretty close, which will be a benefit.
On that issue, call a local gun club and ask them what the laws are. Laws can vary depending on what town or city you're in.

Chances are pretty good you will need to have a muzzle break (not a flash hider) silver-soldered and pinned to the barrel (unless the muzzle is not threaded, in which case you can leave it alone), the bayonet lug must be ground down, grenade launchers are a no-no, and your stock must be fixed, not telescoping. That's what I'm working with here in NY. You may also have laws about hi-capacity (more than 10 rounds) magazines. Ask whether pre-ban rifles are also subject to these limitations. Make sure you are clear that this is NOT a full-auto or burst-fire rifle, but just a plain, ol' civilian semi-auto rifle.

Old 09-27-2008, 04:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
EH?! I thought AR was for Armalite, the company that originally manufactured them.
Yeah, that is one of the stories. Armalite first produced Stoner's design and submitted it for testing, but it didn't get picked up by the military, so they sold the design to Colt. SUPPOSEDLY part of that deal was that any Colt produced weapon of this type would be designated with the Colt+AR monicker.

Colt issued manuals with some weapons that said the Colt Automatic Rifle ( AR ) was this, that and the other thing. Colt marketed the weapon as such for several years.

Conventional nominclature is pretty much that the AR is for Automatic Rifle - but the traditionalists will say it's for Armalite.

I wasn't there when it all went down, so I can't say for sure.

JD

Old 09-27-2008, 08:04 PM   #5

I plan to make this rifle semi-auto. I have checked with my local gun store and they sell them with telescopeing stocks. All of them have flash suppressors on them too. I am pretty sure that is mandatory in CT (threaded into the barrel? I think). They sell a stripped lower reciever for $109 and complete for about $280 I think should buy the complete lower because this is my first build and I dont think I would be able to read blueprnts and put together all the springs and small stuff that goes onto the trigger assembly. Then I wanted to know if I can get all the other parts online?

Old 09-27-2008, 09:48 PM   #6
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Verify from a gun store if the AR-15s they're selling with collapsible stocks are pre-ban or post-ban. That might make all the difference -- it does here in NY.

Yes, you can buy a completed upper with bolt carrier group online and fit it to your lower.

Who makes the lower you are considering?

Old 09-27-2008, 09:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK37 View Post
I plan to make this rifle semi-auto. I have checked with my local gun store and they sell them with telescopeing stocks. All of them have flash suppressors on them too. I am pretty sure that is mandatory in CT (threaded into the barrel? I think). They sell a stripped lower reciever for $109 and complete for about $280 I think should buy the complete lower because this is my first build and I dont think I would be able to read blueprnts and put together all the springs and small stuff that goes onto the trigger assembly. Then I wanted to know if I can get all the other parts online?
That is certainly an option. Truth be told, the trigger and trigger spring, along with the pin, is only three parts. The hammer and hammer spring, along with the retaining pin, is also only three parts. It would take you about ten minutes if you wanted to build one yourself.

Buying a complete lower is easy, but you don't get to have any input into the parts.

Plenty of folks here would be happy to help you build your first lower if you wanted to go this route.

Here is a picture of the trigger and hammer configuration for a drop in Rock River Arms 2-Stage.

JD
rra-trigger-004.jpg  

Old 09-27-2008, 10:53 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

In California, we can build ARs any way we like,as long as the barrel is at least 14" and the over all length is 32" (IIRC) as long as we use a "fixed" 10 round magazine. Right now, these guys are hot items, as they make an AR have a "fixed" magazine, by law:

http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=265

http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_ id=60

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
In California, we can build ARs any way we like,as long as the barrel is at least 14" and the over all length is 32" (IIRC) as long as we use a "fixed" 10 round magazine. Right now, these guys are hot items, as they make an AR have a "fixed" magazine, by law:

http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=265

http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_ id=60
How do you do a 14" barrel? Fed law is 16". As I understand it, the actual barrel could be 14" with a 2" permanently attached muzzle device.

Just wondering since I couldn't even begin to comprehend California law. Sanscrit maybe, but not Cali laws...

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 09-28-2008, 10:15 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 View Post
How do you do a 14" barrel? Fed law is 16". As I understand it, the actual barrel could be 14" with a 2" permanently attached muzzle device.

Just wondering since I couldn't even begin to comprehend California law. Sanscrit maybe, but not Cali laws...
Yeah, my fingers were running faster than my brain was.

If you've ever actually taken time to get to know the laws in Cali, you'd see that they're actually quite simple. Once the mass ban was repealed, it is pretty easy to buy or build what you want. There are just a few loopholes that you need to jump though in order to do so. The laws are largely cosmetic, so they're easy to get around.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.