AR builders please help
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR builders please help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 08:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AR builders please help

I have several stripped AR receivers and misc components, but I have yet to finish one or buy barrels yet. I have been reading this forum a bit and I saw some people asking about the 308 caliber ARs. Can any AR lower be built up for 308? What would be the expense compared to a 223/556? If not, how about a 762x39. That would make a good carbine caliber, while the 308 would make a good rifle for me. I like the 556, but only as a varminter cartridge.

In lamens, what do I need, if anything?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-13-2011, 08:41 AM   #2

NO IT CANNOT. The 308 is a completely different animal, and I MEAN completely. Every single "AR-10" is built TOTALLY different than every other companies, and no where near the same size as their .223 counterparts. Your best bet would be to do A LOT of research and actually form your own Opinion. I own a Rock River Arms LAR-8, Standard Operator, I will be changing the barrel this week to a varmint profile, I had cut the original down to 16.25 inches, and have replaced the trigger (to single stage, my preference), added a scope because I used to shoot with an Acog the military issued to the first AR I had ever handled. But, I will be building an Armalite one day, I got the RRA for a great deal and spent quite a bit of time checking into them all, but the RRA will be the test bed for my "What will I do to the Armalite" built up, you know , likes and dislikes, etc, etc.
I am by no means an expert and hopefully the others that hang out here will think of all the other stuff I have passed over...
Good luck, post pics. and get involved with the other posts you may just help someone that can help you out quite a bit...
AND HAVE FUN, stop over by the welcome page and introduce yourself triggernomic, see you on the boards...

Last edited by ANGRYcanary; 12-14-2011 at 01:24 AM.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:46 AM   #3

Might take me a while to finish my ARs. I am wanting an Uzi, but that is turning out to be a major pain in the rear. Finding a semi auto receiver that is ready to go is almost impossible. My dad convinced me to go with the AR, but it's on the back burner. I might even make one of them 9mm if I can. I already have 9mm glocks and getting a sub2000 soon, so 9mm would be great for a carbine. Still don't know what I need for one of those, either.

Thanks for the info, though. I was too excited about a larger bullet.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:19 PM   #4

Liked 1032 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1029

There are some exciting larger calibers that DO work with a standard AR-15 lower! Take a look at what strikes your fancy. 300BLK? 458? ... a little searching will reap rewards.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:45 PM   #5

These 300BLK setups look sweet. A little on the pricey side compared to my cheap 223 build plans, but maybe worth it for a long rifle AR. Thanks for pointing that out.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:24 PM   #6

Liked 763 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 461

The AR15 platform maxes out at a cartridge length of about 45mm, that is the important dimension not caliber. .308 (7.62x51), etc requires an AR 10 lower. There are 2 basic yet incompatible patterns for the AR10, DPMS and Armalite. Costwise expect an AR10 to cost 2-3 times a comparable AR15.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-13-2011, 05:51 PM   #7

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Colts coming out with the SP901(?) that will have the ability to interchage ar10 and ar15 uppers. But that is the only one that I've heard of that will be able to do this.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Colts coming out with the SP901(?) that will have the ability to interchage ar10 and ar15 uppers. But that is the only one that I've heard of that will be able to do this.
I don't see how that would be possible. The receivers are different lengths.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 12-13-2011, 10:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
I don't see how that would be possible. The receivers are different lengths.

-Fred
SP901

from the Horse's mouth.

Last edited by AgentTikki; 12-13-2011 at 10:20 PM.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:19 PM   #10

I'm gonna guess that an adapter will have to be used for the magwell for the shorter 5.56 magazines. So maybe you can just use a proprietary upper for 308, and any 5.56 style upper on this new lower reciever. Dunno not sure, don't have anything concrete, but its actually kind of exciting.....