AR build questions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR build questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2010, 03:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AR build questions

I'm contemplating building an AR and was wondering about lowers. I'm looking at the stripped Surplus Arms lower from AIM Surplus, or the Stripped Spikes Tactical if they get them back in stock, again from AIM surplus. How has other peoples experiences with these lowers been? I would also probably order the Del-Ton kit with a 16 inch A2 upper and lower parts kit with 6 position stock. Does anyone know how the finishes would match on these? and basic quality of them? I know they're not going to be top quality but I'm looking to build a plinker. Thanks in advance

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-26-2010, 06:21 PM   #2

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

I don't have either but of the tow you mentioned I haven't come across any complaints about them. A lot of folks report being very happy with Spike lowers, same goes for folks putting together the Del Ton kits.

Have you got a budget in mind? When you say plinking are you talking about 50yds, 100yds, 200yds etc? Have you given any though on optics? What would you like to be able to do, hit an 8" target or hit a 1" target?

Take a look at the build threads from others here, these 3 in particular - http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/its-finally-finished-my-first-ar-6910/, http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/first-ar-15-build-here-i-go-28708/, http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/jds-personalized-advice-my-ar-thread-18669/

Those will cover about anything you may want ot ask or know and are a wealth of knowledge to get you started. Good luck.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Last edited by dog2000tj; 09-26-2010 at 08:02 PM.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:27 PM   #3

I'm looking at the 5-600 dollar range and I want something accurate out to about 300 yards that will hit a standard bullseye or mansized target with fair to middlin accuracy

Old 09-26-2010, 07:49 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would honestly built a flat top instead of an A2. It will give you much more flexibility for optics. You can mount iron sights or swap out to a red dot or even a tactical scope. JMHO, but it's what I'd do.

As for the lowers you mentioned, I'd buy and build either one of them without a second thought.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:23 PM   #5

one of my things though is that while some people like optics I don't. I got used to doing the KD course and table 2 course of fire with iron sights on an A2 and I like them. and if I want I can do the same thing to this one that the military does to the A2 and mount the optics to the carrying handle. I can actually acquire quicker with the iron sights than with traditional optics. plus, if you bash a scope off a tree or something it will probably have to be rezeroed, Mil-Spec ACOGs excluded. but with iron sights it's been my experience once they're zeroed to a shooter they're pretty much good to go for that shooter. I do appreciate the fact that some people prefer an optics oriented rifle though. It's just not for me though. Thanks for you opinion though.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:05 PM   #6

Also, does anyone have any opinions on the best twist rate for the barrel? I would want it to be accurate shooting SS109/ M855 rounds as well as standard target loads.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:08 AM   #7

Liked 1005 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

1:9 probably is your best bet if you'll drop to 55gr or less sometimes. If you expect you might go with >69gr then think 1:7. Either twist *should* do well @ 62gr and I believe Del-Ton is 1:9.

I agree with Russ that a flat top is the way to go. Just put a good carry handle on now and you're set for irons. If things change down the road you can easily put on an optic. Heck you can even still use your carry handle if you hacksaw it down to look like the LMT rear sight. That gives you 4" of rail for a red dot to cowitness with your irons! I'm an iron sight guy too but now have a cut carry handle and RDS - best of both worlds.