AR Build Questions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR Build Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2010, 01:07 AM   #1
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

Default AR Build Questions

I am starting to look for the parts to start an AR build. I was curious as to what everyone thinks of this upper. I like the design and looks, but have no knowledge of AR parts manufacturers. Any help is welcome. Upper I am looking at.

This build is going to be a .50 Beowulf Pig Stopper.

Was thinking of getting this Barrel.

This is just the starting point. Let me know of other choices or better ones.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-10-2010, 01:43 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Shi - You are paying a lot for that upper, but it will definitely handle the pressure of the .50 Beowulf in the chamber.

I do not believe that you NEED to go to this extreme, but this upper is what I would classify as "Fire and Forget". You buy it once, you don't need to worry about it. If I was inclined to build a weapon of this magnitude, and I was willing to PAY for a custom barrel with a custom chamber, I would be looking for "Fire and Forget" parts. Take that for what you will.

Now, the downside. You are providing a solution that there isn't a problem. You don't NEED a specialized upper when the people that pioneered the round, put out their own upper in the first place.

Might I suggest this prebuilt and tested upper??

The barrel is NOT a good choice, in my opinion, if you are building a PIG gun. One that you are looking at really delivering the goods to a hostile animal.

Please notice this caveat:

Quote:
Enlargment of the feedramps and ejection port to 0.637" will be required for proper function
You are not buying a "ready to go the field" barrel my friend. You are buying a "roughed in barrel" that will require specialized parts that, IMHO, will end up costing you MORE than if you just went to the Alexander Arms folks in the first place.

Shi, when you are looking at building a wildcat platform, you need to decide if you are going 100% custom ( because the ammo is custom ) or if you are going to go piece meal and build what is available on the market.

If you are looking at a cost effective build, I would look a complete and tested upper, with a custom lower that you build yourself. Or I would look at having a custom gunsmith build you a complete gun and going that route.

"In between" is not going to give you what you are looking for in this build.

JD

Old 05-10-2010, 01:59 AM   #3
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

I was looking at that for $675 at Impact guns. I was just wanting to make it custom and put it all together.
I read about the Feed Ramp and Ejection port.

It may come to going the complete upper route, but I would go with this One.
I was thinking of the looks of the Stainless Barrel.

Just thought the more I put into building it the more I would enjoy it.